You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Merlox

Commander Beyond level 19?

34 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
830 posts
5,059 battles

Hi All, 

*edit: it's cool guys. This wont be a thing. Mods already confirmed it. Just chatting up some other ideas that does not involve passing level 19.*

Just an interesting concept here, Why not allow players to go above level 19 on their captains for *Insane* xp levels?
A level 19 captain takes a tiny bit over 1.7 million xp to reach there. While Elite XP is great, why not allow for a slider to turn off elite xp gaining and allow further leveling? Do something that world of tanks does well (in my opinion) and have no cap, just insane captain levels for players that are dedicated enough. 

Here's an example. To get to level 19 from 18 you need 300k xp. Why not every level after double that number? to reach to 20 it would be 600k, 21 would be 1.2 million, 22 would be 2.4 million... you get the picture.  
You could have another 19 point captain by the time you got to level 21... Just my 2 cents any ways on how to expand on the system. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Merlox

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

Why?  That's my thought.  I love that you can max out a captain and can use him to save a ton of time and money on other captains.

The system in tanks is horrible for this.  It should not be an example to follow.  You spend months getting skills that don't matter once you get the first few.

[D-PN]
[D-PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,453 battles

@Merlox that would be great and has been suggested many times. The result of those suggestion is that 19 point captains xp builds up and can be used to advance other captains faster.

• Cool 1

Community Department
3,292 posts
1,293 battles
58 minutes ago, Merlox said:

Hi All, 

Just an interesting concept here, Why not allow players to go above level 19 on their captains for *Insane* xp levels?
A level 19 captain takes a tiny bit over 1.7 million xp to reach there. While Elite XP is great, why not allow for a slider to turn off elite xp gaining and allow further leveling? Do something that world of tanks does well (in my opinion) and have no cap, just insane captain levels for players that are dedicated enough. 

Here's an example. To get to level 19 from 18 you need 300k xp. Why not every level after double that number? to reach to 20 it would be 600k, 21 would be 1.2 million, 22 would be 2.4 million... you get the picture.  
You could have another 19 point captain by the time you got to level 21... Just my 2 cents any ways on how to expand on the system. 

Thoughts?

Will require a complete reworking of the perks to maintain a balance. As for now we don't plan to make any changes in the nearest updates. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
24,688 posts
21,803 battles

Balance.

Meet window.

Out you go. 

Not to mention if you want to make the gap between veteran and newer players even larger than it is now, this is a good way of doing it.

Good veteran players already have a huge advantage over the newbies, you don't need built in systems to make them even better.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 5

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles
27 minutes ago, turbo07 said:

Will require a complete reworking of the perks to maintain a balance. As for now we don't plan to make any changes in the nearest updates. 

Good. WoWs doesn't need OP commanders. It's a choice you make at 19 to go for a certain build over another, and your choice to sacrifice a good perk to get another instead.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
830 posts
5,059 battles
8 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

Good. WoWs doesn't need OP commanders. It's a choice you make at 19 to go for a certain build over another, and your choice to sacrifice a good perk to get another instead.

That whole argument seems a bit two faced. There's unique commanders being sold at one point and that was perfectly ok, but when there's an option to but an absurd amount of time and energy in one then it's "OP"?  Why not then compromise and say that you can spend a million captain xp to give one of your captains a single improved perk  already learned. (Such as Expert Marksman to 1degree  / 3 degrees, Or Improved Preventive maintenance that is from 30% to 45%). Some one would have to grind a lot to even get the commanders to something useful.

I doubt they will ever make a unique commander for common wealth ships.

The whole point of this is that I have 6 or so ships that I'm perfectly happy with. I have 19 point captains for them. I kinda wish I had something I can actively work toward. 

Edited by Merlox

[WOLF3]
Members
24,688 posts
21,803 battles

Answering Power Creep for more calls of Power Creep isn't good for the game.  Going over the typical Max Captain Points brings all kinds of balance issues because the current cap forces captains to make compromises.  Removing these caps means compromises are no longer a thing.

Someone a while back suggested 25pt captains and I feel answers there are valid here just as well.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[4HIM]
Members
2,842 posts
10,749 battles

I can only imagine the level of seal clubbing when someone takes a 30 point captain into the lower tiers with a Clemson or Bug-eater.  And the grind to get up to 19 points is bad enough.  No need to make it worse by an order of magnitude.  

[ARP2]
Members
63 posts
1,947 battles
3 hours ago, Merlox said:

Hi All, 

Thoughts?

Nope.

Why not? Balance. 

And as mentioned above, the current system allows players with 19 points captains to grind captain experience above the threshold. 

I would like to see a rework/replacement on certain perks though to have more variety in builds than we have now, certain perks are completely useless and never picked anyways but that's another discussion ;)

Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Answering Power Creep for more calls of Power Creep isn't good for the game.  Going over the typical Max Captain Points brings all kinds of balance issues because the current cap forces captains to make compromises.  Removing these caps means compromises are no longer a thing.

Someone a while back suggested 25pt captains and I feel answers there are valid here just as well.

Amen to that, BUT I do not think Wargaming cares anymore as long as makes them money. I can see them changing the name of the game too! From World of Warships to World of Tanks on Water!

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,544 posts
33,537 battles

No. Nope. No.

There is already a huge disparity between experienced captains and newbs. Make it it bigger is not a good idea.

[D-PN]
[D-PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,453 battles

@Merlox turbo07 of the community department gave you all the answer required in two sentences. Basically NO!

The unique commanders and the regular commanders are the same in that the limit is 19 points the difference is that they have particular skills enhanced but you still have to choose those skills spend the points on them perhaps foregoing a normal skill that would be more useful.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
6,690 posts

Maybe a special Pan-American or Polish captain that doesn't stop at 19 points...

Go for it.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,118 posts

Instead give options to upgrade skills already selected rather then more points.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
573 posts
15,127 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yes, that was me.  I listened to the responses and came to a compromise approach.  That version was a SINGLE 20 point captain allowed...he could be moved from ship to ship, but capped at 20 points.  The idea was to have a single Admiral lead your entire fleet, the "Flagship" approach.   Going past the simgle additional point was too over powered as many responders told me gently, or not so gently. 

I still like the idea of "One captain to rule them all"...but WG gave me my Massachusetts, made her special, so I am a happy camper as is.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
573 posts
15,127 battles
13 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

Instead give options to upgrade skills already selected rather then more points.

They've kind of done that with the Tier X Legendary upgrades.   Was a good idea they implemented.

Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
4 hours ago, Merlox said:

That whole argument seems a bit two faced. There's unique commanders being sold at one point and that was perfectly ok, but when there's an option to but an absurd amount of time and energy in one then it's "OP"?  Why not then compromise and say that you can spend a million captain xp to give one of your captains a single improved perk  already learned. (Such as Expert Marksman to 1degree  / 3 degrees, Or Improved Preventive maintenance that is from 30% to 45%). Some one would have to grind a lot to even get the commanders to something useful.

I doubt they will ever make a unique commander for common wealth ships.

The whole point of this is that I have 6 or so ships that I'm perfectly happy with. I have 19 point captains for them. I kinda wish I had something I can actively work toward. 

There is a pretty simple reason that has been said plenty of times... balance. For very recent ships, can you imagine a higher point capatain on the Massachusetts? In order to have fully built secondaries, you give up on SI, CE, FP as well as having a captain that can’t really work with other ships. The captain does wonders on the Massachusetts and I’ve had multiple 190k+ damage games but will suffer in other games. Imagine an extra heal, one less fire, concealment at 12.43km, and having rpf to know where to watch for torps. How would that not be OP? You could have a captain you could put in any premium and seal club. New players wouldn’t stand a chance.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,419 posts
12,084 battles

The other big problem I see with an open-ended grind like this is that you just KNOW there will be obsessives who will devote themselves to chasing it as high as they can. The only possible result of that will be personal burnout, possibly to a medically and socially unhealthy degree.

[SYN]
Members
8,184 posts
13,723 battles

Defeats the purpose of having a build. Part of the fun is making the best captain with limited points. Having to chose the best skills for your build. I would be pretty lame to just be able to pick them all.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,746 posts
13,308 battles

I personally like things the way they are now since you have to think about what you want or need for individual ships.

[SIDE]
Members
830 posts
5,059 battles
3 hours ago, nagasakee said:

They've kind of done that with the Tier X Legendary upgrades.   Was a good idea they implemented.

This is no doubt a really fantastic idea that they did. But what I was really going for on that was that there are multiple unique commanders that are straight up better than any other commander. 

Prolly a better goal for this since most people only see the above 19 points and say nope would be to instead to allow basic commanders to have a type of merit system. Choose a single existing upgraded skill that any unique commander has for an absorbent number. This would actually help solve multiple issue like Lesser nations will have some access to unique commander skills. Allowing players that missed events / sales to still work for a commander with a unique skill. Hell. It would even promote further unique builds since every one loves the concept of builds. 

Unique commanders would still be stronger as they have multiple upgraded skills and they would start off with them for free.

I'll drop the above 19 point commander concept. Theres obviously other ways to approach this that could make all parties happy. 

[WOLF7]
Members
12,402 posts

Why do people keep posting stuff like this? Just like the requests for bigger divisions. People don't care about game balance, they simply want an advantage they can either grind, buy or be handed to them.

"Oh I want a shiny, op captain that I can dominate the vast majority of the server with, since they will never invest that kind of time/money in this game.":Smile_amazed:

[SIDE]
Members
830 posts
5,059 battles
7 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Why do people keep posting stuff like this? Just like the requests for bigger divisions. People don't care about game balance, they simply want an advantage they can either grind, buy or be handed to them.

"Oh I want a shiny, op captain that I can dominate the vast majority of the server with, since they will never invest that kind of time/money in this game.":Smile_amazed:

Two different reasons but I'll try to answer.

Division size. Honestly I feel that is due to the lack of any formal dedicated team game mode that isnt tier 10 in a fleet game. Not every one enjoys tier 10, also Some people have a good number of friends, and the only real big naval game before this (Navy Field) heavily encouraged you to bring a ton of friends.

The other reason (increase a skill) or in the lines of that is that we currently have very little "end game". Some people stay due to that need to keep driving for something better. That's what happens to most online games. It isnt about being op at all. Currently theres no reward for any thing and you just have an unstable economy system that just doesn't work for some players. (I have over a million free xp, over 1000s of most flags. And stupid wazoo of credits.) And I dont exactly play much. I know theres plenty of people on here that will tell me that they have way more and I'd believe it. 

That all said it's hard to believe that you didnt come to any of them conclusions to yourself and the only thing you can think of is "they want to be op"

• Cool 1