You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

Replays... still not default?

28 comments in this topic

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles

Every thread and most tickets require replays to be enabled. People don't know the difference between HE and cheeseburgers. 

Can we get some Dev horsepower on this? 

If (some) people in the forums are to be believed this is the [edited]stupidest, worst game ever. Make it impossible for people to not have a replay for your own benefit. 

Edited by _ENO_

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
9 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

Wow. Thanks. 

I'm 7000 battles in and know how to use google. 

Likely more than 60% of players who complain here about gameplay issues don't. 

If someone wants to enable replays they can simply find how to do it. The reason that WG doesn't enable them by default is probably because it would fill someone's disk up with thousands of replay files if they were unaware of it.

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles
7 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

If someone wants to enable replays they can simply find how to do it. The reason that WG doesn't enable them by default is probably because it would fill someone's disk up with thousands of replay files if they were unaware of it.

Not really seeking your opinion on it man. I get it. You get it. 

People in general don't even know it's a thing. 

Hundreds of battles isn't even a gig. A thousand battles times 2 megs. What's that- .2 gigs? Clean it up every major patch since they don't work anyway. 

Dont be a don't be. Be a do be. 

Edited by _ENO_

Members
3,064 posts
1,923 battles
1 hour ago, _ENO_ said:

Not really seeking your opinion on it man. I get it. You get it. 

People in general don't even know it's a thing. 

Hundreds of battles isn't even a gig. A thousand battles times 2 megs. What's that- .2 gigs? Clean it up every major patch since they don't work anyway. 

Dont be a don't be. Be a do be. 

I keep trying to re-enable them, but every time something goes wrong.

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles
3 hours ago, legoboy0401 said:

I keep trying to re-enable them, but every time something goes wrong.

Which is strange since I set it and forget it. I haven't had to reenable them since I started. How do you enable them, pray tell?

Members
3,064 posts
1,923 battles
2 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

Which is strange since I set it and forget it. I haven't had to reenable them since I started. How do you enable them, pray tell?

I suspect the line <ReplayCameraUpdate"> 30 <ReplayCameraUpdate> is not needed anymore, that's probably the issue.

[-N-]
Members
2,146 posts
14,367 battles

I just use the WoWs Mod Station to update it.  It is easy and gets updated when the game does.  There is also a bright yellow site there I like to use.

Edited by gcangel82

[FUSA]
Members
238 posts
8,247 battles

I could use a refresher course in enabling replays. Mine stopped recording on the 27th. And I've forgot which app I dropped into the reference file. If that's still the approved method.

I earned my 7th double strike over the weekend and wanted to watch that replay, maybe even post it on the replay site.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles

I rather not have files taking up the space in my hard drive. Besides, assuming Replays are like they were from WoT from 3 years ago, they are "Update Locked" so having a replay from 0.5.14.0 is useless unless I have that version. Even then, I always felt that Replays are "wonky" so I just use OBS and upload everything to Youtube.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,502 posts
4,602 battles
16 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

If (some) people in the forums are to be believed this is the [edited]stupidest, worst game ever. Make it impossible for people to not have a replay for your own benefit. 

Even if you do enable replays, they are likely to become unplayable with the next update.  Use them in a hurry.

BTW, replays are automatically enabled on the PTS.  Even the Support staff didn't/doesn't know this

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
4 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Even if you do enable replays, they are likely to become unplayable with the next update.  Use them in a hurry.

BTW, replays are automatically enabled on the PTS.  Even the Support staff didn't/doesn't know this

One thing I found when I first started recording was that with Replay's, I could... "chat" and "control" my planes. That was when I gave up on Replay's and started using OBS. OBS shows exactly what I see and exactly what is on chat. I can't say if Replay's can do the same.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
16 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

It's widely known to be easy to do on the player side.

I think the question is: If it's so easy for players to enable replays, why can't WG's developers seem to do it?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
13 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It's widely known to be easy to do on the player side.

I think the question is: If it's so easy for players to enable replays, why can't WG's developers seem to do it?

I think I may have mentioned that if a player didn't understand that they were enabled by default then the replay files could build up until they numbered in the thousands.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
23 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I think I may have mentioned that if a player didn't understand that they were enabled by default then the replay files could build up until they numbered in the thousands.

And 2000 replays is still only about 2kb, it's not exactly a large file.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,502 posts
4,602 battles
15 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

<ahem>  ~2 GB.  Still not huge, but some people are on old/strangled machines.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
20 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

<ahem>  ~2 GB.  Still not huge, but some people are on old/strangled machines.

Some of my videos are 2 gb... but YouTube = Free Storage

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
53 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

You haven't looked at your replay folder. I have 14 replays in it from this day's gameplay; they total 24 MB.

A complete game is about 1.8 MB (some are smaller as I leave when I die); 2000 such would be 3.6 GB, not an insignificant amount on a laptop or older system.

Edited by Snargfargle

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

You haven't looked at your replay folder. I have 14 replays in it from this day's gameplay; they total 24 MB.

A complete game is about 1.8 MB (some are smaller as I leave when I die); 2000 such would be 3.6 GB, not an insignificant amount on a laptop or older system.

Eh, memory slips. But it's still miniscule. Even the world's cheapest laptop will not have any problem with 3 and a half gigs.

I've seen MP3 players with more space than that.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Eh, memory slips. But it's still miniscule. Even the world's cheapest laptop will not have any problem with 3 and a half gigs.

I've seen MP3 players with more space than that.

Remember that this game plays on systems several years old for the most part. Not everyone has the latest and greatest systems.

Processor: Core2Duo 2.7 GHz, AMD Athlon II 3 GHz

Memory: 2 GB RAM (2.5 GB for configuration with integrated video)

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800GT/9600GT, Intel HD 4000, NVIDIA GeForce 620M, AMD Radeon HD 4650

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Storage: 60 GB - will decrease to ~35GB ~1 week after initial install.

Sound Card: Compatible with DirectX 9.0c

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
19 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Remember that this game plays on systems several years old for the most part. Not everyone has the latest and greatest systems.

Just because I have a top end gaming rig doesn't mean I don't also have a laptop from 2009 with a cheap 500gb hard drive in it.

[FUSA]
Members
238 posts
8,247 battles

Enabling Replays in World of Warships

Nov 1, 2017November 1, 2017

Please be aware that with each new version and micro patch, replays from previous versions become un-viewable with the newest version of the client.

Replays are useful for reviewing your games and adjusting your strategy, as well as for several support needs such as submitting bug reports and some rule violations. 

- To turn replays recording ON:

1. Close the game client
  2. Download the http://dl-wows-gc.wargaming.net/projects/mods/mods_pack/WoWS_Replays_Tool.exe file and save to the game folder.
  3. Run the replays.exe file. After the black window opens, press any key.
  4. Start the game and enjoy.
    If something went wrong (the game doesn't start, etc.), find the preferences.xml.bak file in the game folder and rename it preferences.xml (delete the ".bak") to make it work and restore an archive copy of the settings.
  5. Replays are saved to the ..\replays\ folder, which will be automatically created inside the game folder after you play your first battle.
  6. To launch the replay, close the game client first.
  7. Then drag'n'drop *.wowreplay file to WorldOfWarships.exe or associate file extention with the game executable.
  8. Every battle generates separate replay file. Port cannot be recorded.
  9. Replays might not work properly or exit with an error if you record them with one version of the game client and then try to launch them with another version.
  10. Replay controls:
'Insert' & 'Delete' for playing speed control 'End' for pause (which is actually x100 slower speed) 'Home' for normal speed 'LMB' for toggling camera direction between free & recorded '>' & '<' for fast-forward & rewind (can be used together with 'Ctrl')

- To turn replays recording ON (if the first way didn't work):

1. Open for editing the preferences.xml file.

2. Scroll it till the last lines:

</scriptsPreferences> </root>

3. Paste two new lines before </scriptsPreferences> line

<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>

4. This is how you should see the result:

<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled> </scriptsPreferences> </root>

5. Save file & launch the game client.

6. Enjoy the game!

7. All of the replays will be stored at the ..\replays folder which will be automatically created inside the game folder.

8. To launch the replay, close the game client first

9. After closing the game, use drag'n'drop *.wowreplay file to WorldOfWarships.exe or associate file extention with the game executable.

10. Every battle generates separate replay file. Port cannot be recorded.

11. You can play the *.wowsreplay file with the same client version only. Replays might not work properly with newer version of the game client.

12. Replay controls:

'Insert' & 'Delete' for playing speed control 'End' for pause (which is actually x100 slower speed) 'Home' for normal speed 'LMB' for toggling camera direction between free & recorded '>' & '<' for fast-forward & rewind (can be used together with 'Ctrl')

You should be able to directly attach *.wowsreplay files to your forum posts through the "Attach Files" function, otherwise you can place the file in a *.zip.

After a few attempts at the download and getting this

WoWs Replay Tool

Error: configuration file not found start this application from wows game path.

I give up.

To open up and edit any file is for me sure disaster.