You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KalishniKat

Remove BB HE

54 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
12,198 battles

Sick of the fires in this game. People claim it's the only way cruisers can do damage..fine, but do we really need battleships launching HE and burning things down?? Let BBs stick with the traditional ship killing rounds they historically used, AP and leave HE to the little guys. And while you're at it please extend the fireproof time after you extinguish to at least a minute to aid in  managing fires. Even with flags captain skills and proper management fires are getting a little bit ridiculous. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 6
  • Angry 1

[WOLFX]
Members
855 posts
4,082 battles

Someone is salty, HE BBs are fine. 

In fact its amazing how many lions/conqs you see that are the last ship alive on the losing team. Alive and full health and throwing the match because they sit in the back of the map throwing HE all game......

• Cool 3

[AAA]
Members
1,081 posts
11,851 battles

1. The Nelson strongly disagrees with this.

2. Unless you give all BBs Yamato over match there is no way to deal much damage to bow in BBs

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,079 posts
17,127 battles

Yes, let's dumb down the game by removing choice from players. Proper ammo use is a skill, and you want to remove this option.

• Cool 12
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,190 posts
24,546 battles
3 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

1. The Nelson strongly disagrees with this.

2. Unless you give all BBs Yamato over match there is no way to deal much damage to bow in BBs

1. Obviously, *IF* BB HE was to be removed, it would require a major rework to RN BBs to turn them back into AP slingers.  Not sure about the premium RN BBs like the DoY or Nelson though.

2. Not necessarily.  The devs could change how overmatch works, and force ships, particularly BBs, to depend on their forward bulkhead armor to protect their citadels, rather than the overmatch mechanic.  This would force BBs to not sit or approach enemies directly bow on, since you probably wouldn't want to give an enemy BB a perfectly perpendicular shot at the forward bulkhead armor.  You'd want to angle your ship so that the bulkhead armor as well as the broadside main belt armor was angled.

Finally, I'm not sure whether getting rid of BB HE would be a good thing, but it's not impossible.  It would require a number of adjustments other things to accommodate the change.

10 minutes ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

HE is fine. It is a moron trap for battleships, especially when they fire it at broadside targets.

I don't think that this is entirely fair.  The problem that BBs have with ammo selection is the long reload time.  The time between when you decide what ammo to load and when the guns are reloaded and you're ready to shoot is so long that many things can change.  And you can fine yourself having loaded HE for a good reason 30 seconds ago but now wishing you had AP loaded.

The real "trap" when it comes to BBs and HE is the people who use nothing but HE, particularly in non-RN BBs, though this is also true for RN BBs as well.  But you can be entirely willing to change BB ammo and still find yourself easily stuck with the wrong ammo loaded for the situation you find yourself in.  And it's not really fair to rip people for it.

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

Your only real choice when fighting a bow on BB is HE for the most part, why take that away? There is enough bow tanking as it is.

[SALVO]
Members
24,190 posts
24,546 battles
12 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

Your only real choice when fighting a bow on BB is HE for the most part, why take that away? There is enough bow tanking as it is.

Because *IF* HE was removed, you can be sure that the devs would also have to change the overmatch mechanic so that bow tanking didn't work.  Honestly, I wish that they'd made that change when they were considering it a while back to force a more mobile (and more realistic) style of tactics.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
24,190 posts
24,546 battles

One thing that I'd like to see that relates to this issue is for certain BBs that have really weak penning AP, such as the Ishizuchi or the Ashitaka, to have their AP pen values increased.  The end result (or at least the intended goal) of this would be to make AP more attractive to use.  It stinks when you really want to sling AP but you're in a BB whose AP shells are often incapable of penetrating anything but a soft skinned cruiser or DD, and you feel like you have to use HE to get anything done.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
881 posts
15,477 battles

Another thing to take into consideration with a topic like this is lower tier BBs in higher tier matches. Many times their AP can't even penetrate the high tier cruisers they're facing let alone the BBs. HE is sometimes the only viable option available.

• Cool 3

[WOLF8]
Members
381 posts
7,307 battles

If they remove HE, how would I enjoy potato BBs brawling with HE?

• Funny 1

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles
51 minutes ago, Slumlord_Cheeto said:

In fact its amazing how many lions/conqs you see that are the last ship alive on the losing team. Alive and full health and throwing the match because they sit in the back of the map throwing HE all game......

This may or may not also be partially (but possibly not) slightly influenced by the chance that they may or may not have a very powerful heal ability.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,528 battles

I hate HE spamming battleships too. Want to talk about dumbing the game down... tanky, stealthy, ships with good AA and enough speed if not exceptional and an ammo type that reduces shooting to the level of "any hit anywhere is as good as the best shot I could make." I also despise when people kill me by using the wrong ammunition type.

On the flip side, it is kind of funny that it almost doens't matter if it's BB AP or HE. Everyone is pissed at what battleship ammo can do to everyone else.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,498 posts
24,838 battles
33 minutes ago, Lert said:

Yes, let's dumb down the game by removing choice from players. Proper ammo use is a skill, and you want to remove this option.

Exactly. Now go explain this to RN CL drivers that don't have HE like every other cruiser in the game, facing the same BBs, including a couple of RU cruisers that have smoke (which is not what it once was). I went up the RN CL line to T10 out of respect for my roots, and the service of members of my extended family. I still don't like the fact that they have no HE. It is like a one-armed man fighting Muhammad Ali. And don't give the Perth and Belfast option answer either. I don't buy it, as I have both ships. Leander and Minotaur are two of my best ships, and they are very situational with regards to how they get played. Get spawned at the wrong place or on the wrong map, and you might as well go down in a hail of glory, because you are lacking a principal tool, Concealment is a defensive tool, especially if you are uptiered in an RN CL.

As for BBs, I am a BB main. Leave it alone. I play every line on occasion, except the RU and IJN don't get much of my attention. Each ship is different, and the tactical situation is everything. I like burning down the house in an RN BB, and the MN BBs are not far behind either. That does not prevent me torping my way through a raft of BBs in a DD on occasion. To each his own. Let us potato onwards and upwards!

[NSC]
Members
204 posts
9,379 battles

While we are at it, let's get rid of invisible ships firing at you and ships in smoke firing ;)

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, KalishniKat said:

Sick of the fires in this game. People claim it's the only way cruisers can do damage..fine, but do we really need battleships launching HE and burning things down?? Let BBs stick with the traditional ship killing rounds they historically used, AP and leave HE to the little guys. And while you're at it please extend the fireproof time after you extinguish to at least a minute to aid in  managing fires. Even with flags captain skills and proper management fires are getting a little bit ridiculous. 

emJSSpD.gif

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles
2 hours ago, KalishniKat said:

Pretty sure you quit already... for some other reason. Go ahead and take another micro break. Maybe get this one to last a couple weeks. 

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
686 posts
3,696 battles
2 hours ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

HE is fine. It is a moron trap for battleships, especially when they fire it at broadside targets.

That panicky moment when the Musashi has your broadside but then it fires HE instead

• Funny 2

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,837 posts
4,868 battles

you forgot to use this consumables on your ships. It will make yourself fireproof

HqoXe4n.jpg

• Funny 2

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,818 posts
4,361 battles

Only if BB AP gets spalling. Then they will be able to KO modules or do minor damage even if angled and the shell fails to pen.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
8,185 posts
13,723 battles

But if we remove BB HE then all the people spamming HE at the wrong time will stop...

Seriously, why would you want that removed? 99% a BB fires HE (British BBs excluded) it's the wrong choice.

Didn't you uninstall? 

Supertester, Beta Testers
5,783 posts
8,151 battles

When HE can do this, I will support its removal from battleships.

oVnU0us.png

Until then, let the player figure out why one is more beneficial than the other, rather than assume HE >>> AP.

Edited by Compassghost