You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CheapWine

Credits

10 comments in this topic

Members
30 posts
8,143 battles

Had a game tonight, tier 8-10 where I finished 2nd on my team in scoring (we lost).  I did 99,664 damage 1 kill and 1 downed plane.  Not fantastic but not bad and that effort got me -22,265 credits.  Next game I get hit from 20+ km's away by a BB before I can even come close to engaging the enemy, game over.  I didn't wait to see my score but I assume that will be worth around a -100,000 credits or worse.  Ok I get it WG owns the game and they can make the scoring any way they wish and whether that scoring system makes me want to leave the game is not going to make the folks at WG lose any sleep.  That being the case does anyone have any suggestion for other games of a similar genre that they can recommend to me that they find enjoyable?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
17 minutes ago, CheapWine said:

Had a game tonight, tier 8-10 where I finished 2nd on my team in scoring (we lost).  I did 99,664 damage 1 kill and 1 downed plane.  Not fantastic but not bad and that effort got me -22,265 credits.  Next game I get hit from 20+ km's away by a BB before I can even come close to engaging the enemy, game over.  I didn't wait to see my score but I assume that will be worth around a -100,000 credits or worse.  Ok I get it WG owns the game and they can make the scoring any way they wish and whether that scoring system makes me want to leave the game is not going to make the folks at WG lose any sleep.  That being the case does anyone have any suggestion for other games of a similar genre that they can recommend to me that they find enjoyable?

There are ways of making positive credits in this game, even with no premium anything.

Clan membership -- -10% service cost

Signal flag -- -10% service cost

Signal flag -- +20% credits

Capping -- gives you XP and credits

Choose "More Credits" to make up for the loss

Play enough low-tier games to make up for the loss, or just play low tiers

Get better -- you generally have to fall in the top third of your team to break even. However, you don't have to win, as seen below:

shot-18_07.30_20_44.39-0901.jpg.1c37d71ed545760b2d8c4d1476898fd8.jpg 

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLFG]
Members
8,264 posts
6,487 battles

You want us to recommend games other than WG games on a WG forum?

I think they hang us for that.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[R-F]
Members
74 posts
15,850 battles

try to kill DD's and cruisers you probably farmed BB's which rewards less if you peck away at one then switch as total % dmg is low you get low credit for it.  I do this often without thinking about it and have similar credit outcome.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,835 posts
13,603 battles

That first one would have had a profit if you had premium time. On the second, yeah it sucks but that should not be a regular occurrence. Hang in there and since you do not seem to have premium drop down to the 4 - 7 range to build credits to operate the high tier ships.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts

Oh, yes, another thing I've noticed is to check your "ammunition resupply." If you do no damage you will never recoup the credits in ammunition cost.

[WOLF3]
Members
24,749 posts
21,823 battles

Battleships and Carriers also have insane servicing costs.

As for naval games in general, they are an extremely niche portion of gaming.  Naval simulators, naval strategy games, naval arcade games are rare.

For the arcade side:

Battlestations Pacific (2009) / Midway (2007) but are old.

There's also Steel Ocean that came out around 2015 and is even on Steam.  I'm not sure how it is though.  It's originally a Chinese game that later made it's way west via Steam.  This is the only thing out there that I know of that is closest to WoWS but do note that it seems to play very differently.

War Thunder has also been recently dabbling into ships but it looks to still be in the early stages.  Will be interesting to see how the flyboys handle ships with real anti-aircraft firepower, especially if they cater to the simulation aspect that WT in general does.

[WOLF8]
Members
83 posts
22,866 battles

Been there been detonated... Not even the chance to hit a target twice... But then there are games where the team gets swept and I end up near the top and make out more then I would two or three places lower when we win. I often wonder how the points/rewards are calculated. Yup. If I kill two DD in my CA it seams better then I kill 1 BB, but I will be in a different nation CA with long range harassing guns and I make as mush ping on the BB  and less on DD. Now this is all just what it feels like. I wish that WG would add a feature for greater detail in the "Detail Report" Section. the Feature would break down the cost per ship. Would know what rewards I getting to picking on a specific ship and if using HE verses AP makes a difference.  A little more feed back would help all of the player play better (or could). Is this going to make the one shot kill go away, no, but it may help those trying to improve there game play.

[PVE]
Members
19,795 posts
11,989 battles
44 minutes ago, CheapWine said:

31 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

There are ways of making positive credits in this game, even with no premium anything.

Clan membership -- -10% service cost

Signal flag -- -10% service cost

Signal flag -- +20% credits

Capping -- gives you XP and credits

Choose "More Credits" to make up for the loss

Play enough low-tier games to make up for the loss, or just play low tiers

Get better -- you generally have to fall in the top third of your team to break even. However, you don't have to win, as seen below:

shot-18_07.30_20_44.39-0901.jpg.1c37d71ed545760b2d8c4d1476898fd8.jpg 

This^^^

Also, the current Go Navy event can net you a T10 perma-camo (5k doubloons) for free for either Worcester or Des Moines. Keep an eye on other events that give out perma-camo. There was one last year during the WoWs anniversary (Sep) and one around Christmas for the last two years. Perma-camo up to T8 gives another -10% service cost discount. T9 gives a -20% and T10 gives a -50% service cost discount. T10 perma-camo usually gives a +20% credit bonus as well.

You can get 7 days of premium time in the Science of Victory event. You can get one day in the playtest server for each patch. There are premium days in the Operations for getting 5 stars. Premium time boosts the credits by 50%.

15 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Battleships and Carriers also have insane servicing costs.

Not any more. Service cost was changed to a flat fee by tier. See the chart in the wiki below.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Operating_Cost

[PVE]
Members
4,631 posts
22,432 battles
29 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Service cost was changed to a flat fee by tier.

That was a Loooooooooooong time ago...doesn't matter if you never get a scratch or get sunk...cost is the same.

1 hour ago, CheapWine said:

tier 8-10

T 8-10 doesn't tell us what you were specifically in...that is relevant as the post battle repair costs vary/tier...they are the same for all ships at the same tier bur vary/tier

That being said...they are also worth the same XP/tier...a full life BB is worth the same XP as a full life DD of the same tier...thus 10k damage to a DD is worth a whole lot more XP (& thus credits) than 10k damage to a BB of the same tier because it goes by percentage of damage to the ship. Also, just as the service costs are more at higher tiers...so is the XP for hitting higher tier ships...thus damaging a T10 DD is worth more XP than damaging a T8 for the same amount (or I should say...same percentage) of damage.

• Cool 1