Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IOWADragon

W/L Once more into the breach

62 comments in this topic

[FUSA]
Members
238 posts
8,247 battles

When CC's start pointing out a persons W/L, I question that. It's not fair, is a form of bulling and it's not only just a single players fault in a TEAM game. And frankly is egotistical and immature as far as I'm concerned. And I've studied emotional responses in order to understand mine for over 8 years. And might have an understanding that most don't even care to understand.

And the issue of stat trolls who run multiple screens and have all that info or a follower feed them info. Or however they have such fast access,You ladies and gentlemen have become part of the problem. Since this comes out mostly in a losing battle.

In private I call you stat h--rs.

Lately I've started playing destroyers and cruisers more. And doing better kill wise. Playing a ship that allows me to escape the traps, when team-mates go full steam chicken, turn and run, while me, in a big old slow bb is left to die.

Also running an i7 with NVidia graphics instead of that integrated cr-p helps.  I'm not getting the constant crashes and death before logging back in I used to, now if my IP, Comcast, would do their part, and provide the service I pay them for, that'd help.

But  try as I can and do attempt a lot, it seems my W/L is dropping. Now I earned one Solo Warrior because I used my head and ran my butt off, for a team win. And I freely claim my part of losing battles I should have played better, smarter etc.

So if in half my losses, in my honest view I had a part, that leaves around 30% the team was at fault more so than me.

And  I've seen people in here post, well why should I put 100% into a battle with all those losers, It's only one game to me. One leads to another and etc. It's one game that perhaps might be your last one.

If people know one thing about me. I won't throw a battle over your stats.  I'm hard headed and stubborn as any one can be and I won't be remembered as a quitter or one who throws battles over bull. 

Two years ago I was in here posting chit that I was going to clean up bad play by way of team killing or as one well known person often says, show them the errors of their ways.

Ya well that was idiot thinking and I quickly saw the error of that.  Not to say I haven't stopped team damage but I seriously am not trying to sink anyone. 

Edited by IOWADragon
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
631 posts
5,967 battles
14 minutes ago, IOWADragon said:

When CC's start pointing out a persons W/L, I question that. It's not fair, is a form of bulling and it's not only just a single players fault in a TEAM game. And frankly is egotistical and immature as far as I'm concerned. And I've studied emotional responses in order to understand mine for over 8 years. And might have an understanding that most don't even care to understand.

And the issue of stat trolls who run multiple screens and have all that info or a follower feed them info. Or however they have such fast access,You ladies and gentlemen have become part of the problem. Since this comes out mostly in a losing battle.

Lately I've started playing destroyers and cruisers more. And doing better kill wise. Playing a ship that allows me to escape the traps, when team-mates go full steam chicken, turn and run, while me, in a big old slow bb is left to die.

Also running an i7 with NVidia graphics instead of that integrated cr-p helps.  I'm not getting the constant crashes and death before logging back in I used to, now if my IP, Comcast, would do their part, and provide the service I pay them for, that'd help.

But  try as I can and do attempt a lot, it seems my W/L is dropping. Now I earned one Solo Warrior because I used my head and ran my butt off, for a team win. And I freely claim my part of losing battles I should have played better, smarter etc.

So if in half my losses, in my honest view I had a part, that leaves around 30% the team was at fault more so than me.

And  I've seen people in here post, well why should I put 100% into a battle with all those losers, It's only one game to me. One leads to another and etc. It's one game that perhaps might be your last one.

If people know one thing about me. I won't throw a battle over your stats.  I'm hard headed and stubborn as any one can be and I won't be remembered as a quitter or one who throws battles over bull. 

Two years ago I was in here posting chit that I was going to clean up bad play by way of team killing or as one well known person often says, show them the errors of their ways.

Ya well that was idiot thinking and I quickly saw the error of that.  Not to say I haven't stopped team damage but I seriously am not trying to sink anyone. 

What CC started pointing out peoples W/L? Regardless, some players will base what they do on other's stats so that they can quickly judge if those teammates will be reliable. I sometimes lookup peoples stats after game to see why they behaved how they did, very few times do I do it in game or before game. I could care less of others stats. If I notice a team going south towards are loss, I will do as much as I can, because even if I lose I am still somewhat content with a 1k xp loss, even though I would prefer the win. Sometimes there is only so much you can do.

[WOLFX]
Members
855 posts
4,082 battles

Your average damage is 14k..... You have over 600 games in the warspite, how is that even possible? 

You can't blame the team for anything....... 

Edited by Slumlord_Cheeto
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[FML]
Members
3,619 posts
14,525 battles

@IOWADragon, it is commendable that you have a positive mindset and you are trying new ship types - but you shouldnt be a victim of the matchmaker forever.  I think you should take a careful read of LittleWhiteMouse's guide on how to control your win rate ( https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/) and put it into practice.  

Furthermore, in my experience, CCs really go out of their way to not to call out a player's WR (or anything else that might be considered 'stat shaming'); still, they are people to, and I can imagine it happening if you have made a claim that is not backed up by evidence.

I've not looked up your stats, but statistically, the average player will win about half their battles. If they are a good player, they will be a bit better than their direct opponent on the enemy team, helping their team to win; and if the reverse, then their team will ahve to put in just that little bit more effort to get a win.  So, over a large number of battles, WR does suggest/closely approximate a player's capability.  The good news is, there is plenty of advice on these forums on how to improve, and if you have specific questions people are willing to pitch in an help. 

Good luck!

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I love Stats and those who live by them.... However they Don't Like me because I hide mine

SDUNDNG.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
3,259 posts
11,724 battles
2 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I love Stats and those who live by them.... However they Don't Like me because I hide mine

SDUNDNG.gif

Red Forman is hilarious. 

Members
396 posts
13,657 battles
1 hour ago, IOWADragon said:

But  try as I can and do attempt a lot, it seems my W/L is dropping.

@IOWADragon I would suggest finding a clan that works with their members to improve. Sometimes it takes live, real-time feedback for people to understand how to improve. Based on an honest assessment, your stats are very low which indicates that you will see a rapid improvement with just a little coaching.

Best of luck to you and happy hunting.

• Cool 1

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles
1 hour ago, IOWADragon said:

When CC's start pointing out a persons W/L, I question that. It's not fair, is a form of bulling and it's not only just a single players fault in a TEAM game. And frankly is egotistical and immature as far as I'm concerned.

Oh boy here we go. 

In this game, information is the most powerful thing a person can have. Someone who knows everything about every mechanic, ship, and map will obviously have an upper hand. This applies to teammates too. If I have an Iowa on my team spamming HE from 25+ km, I will look up his stats to see if he is a below average player or actually a good player that is trolling. If I'm playing a destroyer and I see that another destroyer on my team has a very good winrate (say 55%+), I will go out of my way to work with him because I know that our teamwork will most likely influence the game more than if we work seperately.

I don't care if it's rude to "judge" someone by their stats because in my opinion it isn't. They are some unknown face sitting behind a computer somewhere else, just as I'm doing. I don't know anything about this person and so it isn't personable when I look at their stats. It's the same way you look at fruit in a supermarket.

It sounds to me like the OP is here to start drama instead of trying to improve his gameplay. Viewing a player's stats is just part of this game as it is any other game. It's important to know what to expect from a teammate so you can build your tactics around that. So no, it isn't "bullying", it's just another form of assessment to help them collect more information, because as I stated earlier, information is the most powerful thing a person can have in this game. 

So OP, you can either keep doing what you do, or you can take a step back and say, "what can I do to improve my gameplay?" Trust me, if you look at the game from a different angle, you will find your stats going up rapidly. 

• Cool 2

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts

well crap this thread has just made me realize something

i now know why people are sitting in the back the ole damn match

they are checking everybody stats,ill be damn!!!

thanks OP for shinning the light on

• Funny 2

[--K--]
Members
6,396 posts
14,068 battles

I couldnt care less what stats a player has, but if they start spouting off bad strategy with a 45% wr, I'll call them on it every time. It obviously doesn't work for them, so why not just watch and learn from people who can win? 

The last guys reasoning was because he had 1.5 million xp in his akatsuki and then asked me about me in my ship. I told him that xp only means he's played that ship a lot, but has no bearing whether he was winning or not and left it at that. Didn't have the heart to tell him I was top 5 on the server in the Haida. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,619 posts
14,525 battles
3 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

I couldnt care less what stats a player has, but if they start spouting off bad strategy with a 45% wr, I'll call them on it every time. It obviously doesn't work for them, so why not just watch and learn from people who can win? 

The last guys reasoning was because he had 1.5 million xp in his akatsuki and then asked me about me in my ship. I told him that xp only means he's played that ship a lot, but has no bearing whether he was winning or not and left it at that. Didn't have the heart to tell him I was top 5 on the server in the Haida. 

Top 5?!? Nice!!

Are you a cobra-chicken?

Members
2,229 posts
11,347 battles
7 hours ago, IOWADragon said:

Win rate is just one factor.  If you want to blame the team and not you for your below avg win rate, then you need to have all the other stats show that you are carrying your weight.  And nothing in your performance metrics show that.  So what is your point?

[TDRB]
Members
4,258 posts
12,279 battles
6 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Win rate is just one factor.  If you want to blame the team and not you for your below avg win rate, then you need to have all the other stats show that you are carrying your weight.  And nothing in your performance metrics show that.  So what is your point?

By what authority does one claim the right to determine if another is carrying his/her weight or not? Does WG recognize that authority? 

Members
2,229 posts
11,347 battles
24 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

By what authority does one claim the right to determine if another is carrying his/her weight or not? Does WG recognize that authority? 

There is no authority involved, it's simply a matter of using deductive reasoning skills and basic math skills.  The server averages are known, so if a person falls below the server average in a specific metric, that means they're below average in that metric.  If they are above it in that metric, they are above average.  Doesn't really say much if looking at just one metric though.  However, if a person is grossly below, not even close to average, but considerably below on all or most metrics, a healthy-minded individual with basic deductive reasoning skills would rightfully conclude that the person is performing below average, and therefore not carrying their weight.  This applies not just in this game, but in all aspects of life.  Whether you are testing the health of a motor engine, the performance of a baseball player, a call center's customer service levels, a hospital's quality of patient care, a school's quality of education, etc. etc.

For example, if someone has a survival rate in the mid to low 20% range, that is insanely suicidal.  The player is barely ever living past 5 minutes, let alone 10 minutes.  If the player is not even present during the entire second half of the match in the overwhelming majority of the games they play, they are clearly not carrying their weight.  They are not even alive to do anything.

The more a person is hostile in their defense against this logic, the more they also tend to be below average.  Which makes sense.  The distance between their perception and reality is so vast, they cannot comprehend it.

Think about it another way.  Roughly an equal number of people on this planet are above average intelligence as there are below average intelligence.  But do you really think if you polled everyone and asked if they thought they were above average intelligence or below that you'd get the same distribution?  You'd probably get 80% or more people claiming they are above average.  You cannot reason with folks who are unable to be objective about their cognitive abilities.

So bringing authority into a purely objective analysis is a paradox.  Do you need authority to know that your tire pressure is too low?  It either is or it isn't.  Do you need authority to fire up the air compressor?  Do you need authority to attach the tire inflating nozzle?  Do you need authority to take the cap off and fill the tire?  Where are you finding this need to inject authority?

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[FUSA]
Members
238 posts
8,247 battles

What I'm seeing is that some players think it's ok for them to play less than their best due to team members stats.

And regardless of what reason, certain players have become judge, jury and executioner, seemly without no care or concern.

And that they have the right to berate players during a battle. 

Because to me, instead of being negative and butt holes, why not be helpful.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

As it was also my intent to see replies and to put that attitude out there for review. 

Seems to me that some will go to any length to make themselves look good. Which is true in any area of life. Just sad to see it being done within the gaming community. I had my fill of that in the work force.

What some don't see from my stats is this.

US ships: Iowa, Cleveland and Mahan are highest in my port. Had the Independence but I don't play US carriers anymore as they are and sold it.

IJN ships: Kagero and Myogi are in my port. The Myogi  is because I intend to play IJN carriers

German ships: Bismarck and Yorck are my highest

French and British mid tier cruisers are in my port. 

I won Warspite and Gallant and played them a lot. 

Tried a few tiers of German and Pan Asian dd's. 

Been all over the map so to speak learning what I can. 

I should have focused on a certain type and nation as someone once suggested , and learned to play it right, then took that line to tier 10 and stayed there mainly, That in it's self should have improved my W/L. 

But instead of being helpful and suggestive, there are those that seem to enjoy berating folk.

Edited by IOWADragon

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles

I don't care what someone's past win rate is. This one battle could be that one where they find their mojo, pull the most incredible game in history out of their :etc_swear:, and depending on which side they're on, either save the day for my team or end it.

• Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
1,728 posts
12,572 battles
20 minutes ago, IOWADragon said:

What I'm seeing is that some players think it's ok for them to play less than their best due to team members stats.

And regardless of what reason, certain players have become judge, jury and executioner, seemly without no care or concern.

As it was also my intent to see replies and to put that attitude out there for review. 

Seems to me that some will go to any length to make themselves look good. Which is true in any area of life. Just sad to see it being done within the gaming community. I had my fill of that in the work force.

You have been spouting nonsense throughout this entire thread but seem to live in a world of constant denial. What annoys people is not your ability to play the game well but that you are trying to blame your bad play on others not carrying you...

• Cool 1

Members
1,051 posts
4,673 battles
9 minutes ago, IOWADragon said:

In nearly 3000 battles, not once have I seen a player decide to throw a game away due to someone else's stats.  The players with good winrates have those for a reason; they affect the outcome of the game more than others do.  We are all stuck with the same Matchmaking, playing with the same players.  The fact of the matter is that winrate is a pretty accurate representation of player skill.  If you don't like yours, focus on improving.  If you're so concerned about people checking yours, disable stats.  

• Cool 1

Members
2,229 posts
11,347 battles
2 hours ago, IOWADragon said:

That's the problem with folks with a defeatist attitude.  They look at those who excel beyond average as arrogant and try-hards for the primary purpose (or even a partial purpose) of putting others down or to make themselves look good.  That is the quintessential definition of jealousy and deflecting away the attention off of one's substandard performance as opposed to taking ownership of it.

It takes an insane lack of self-respect to behave that way and is far more of a negative reflection of the character of them than it is the high achiever.

We used to be a society where we celebrated exceptionalism, now we demonize it.  It's disturbing on so many levels.

And the classic one-string banjo predictable, robotic response is tossing out the "It's just a game" card.  Which is only ever used to justify poor behavior/performance.  Yes, compared to real life issues, it's not as important.  But study some anthropology.  Learn about the history of games.  They are as old as early man.  They were invented as an entertaining way to develop cognitive and social skills through abstract representations of real life.  And most top professionals across all industries, the rainmakers, the game changers, the change agents, the people that produce results... are very active in games and sports, even silly ones because it reinforces that competitive edge, that drive to be better than your prior self and again, the self-respect to care about the quality of all that you produce at all times.

You would have a point if it was a solo game.  But this is a team game, even randoms, especially at high tiers where the stakes are higher due to repair costs, putting the team needs ahead of your own is what being a team player is.  So is carrying your weight, fulfilling your 1/12 of your responsibility.  It's the only mode that is active 24/7 outside of co-op where the rewards are not sustainable at high tier and most players do not have a problem with below average players sticking to the lower tiers or co-op, but out of respect (same reason why our clan does not seal club so it goes both ways), significantly below average players like the B cap charging Monty player last night who averages I kid you not 29k after over 100 games played in it who died in 4 minutes need to self-regulate and stay out of T8+ matches because they are engaging in sabotage.

It's ok if you don't have a quality standard when it comes to respecting the time of the 11 other players on your team.  That's a reflection of your character and 100% your prerogative.  But many of us care about the team objective and are willing to put aside our selfish personal motivations for the sake of the team objective and the great fun to be had by all, which should be the spirit in which the game is intended.

It's not like there aren't other game modes or infinitely other games to chose from, especially solo games where suicidally aggressive play styles won't sabotage the fun of other people.

Self regulation.  You don't need a Terms of Service or signs or a director with a whistle instructing people to skate counter-clockwise at the ice rink.  People do it out of respect and common courtesy.  Same with eldery golfers who can no longer drive from the pro tees so they move up to the amateur tees so they don't slow down the groups behind them.  Self regulation.  Again, it takes quality in character to be self aware to understand the importance of it and unfortunately a gross number of players in this community have not yet developed those skills.

Edited by VGLance
  • Cool 4

[PVE]
Members
3,687 posts
15,703 battles
16 hours ago, iamplaya said:

well crap this thread has just made me realize something

i now know why people are sitting in the back the ole damn match

they are checking everybody stats,ill be damn!!!

thanks OP for shinning the light on

Holy crap !  I actually saw that the other day because I was seriously wondering where everyone went and was wondering if something was gonna happen that I missed and that I was about be annihilated !  No, the 7 of them were retreating and hiding back there and they had significantly higher W/L's than I do....(I checked after the game !)  While the 5 not hiding were "fighting the good fight".......they must have been calculating their W/L potentials....

They only stopped hiding and sniping (to include DD's and this was a mostly T10/T9 match) when they were forced to........and then, two of them took off running till the entire enemy team chased them into the boundary (both of those players were above 50% W/L.)  And, this is not an isolated incident; even as of this AM,  in yet another T10 "stand off", where 6 ships simply sat in the furthest cap and waited, just sniping until the other six wore the enemy team out and then complained about low scores!!! 

Where does on go to check W/L while in a game???  I want to stop getting wasted and sit in the further cap and I'll need something to do for 6 or 8 minutes.....

Edited by Asym_KS

Members
2,229 posts
11,347 battles
9 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Holy crap !  I actually saw that the other day because I was seriously wondering where everyone went and was wondering if something was gonna happen that I missed and that I was about be annihilated !  No, the 7 of them were retreating and hiding back there and they had significantly higher W/L's than I do....(I checked after the game !)  While the 5 not hiding were "fighting the good fight".......they must have been calculating their W/L potentials....

They only stopped hiding and sniping (to include DD's and this was a mostly T10/T9 match) when they were forced to........and then, two of them took off running till the entire enemy team chased them into the boundary (both of those players were above 50% W/L.)  And, this is not an isolated incident; even as of this AM,  in yet another T10 "stand off", where 6 ships simply sat in the furthest cap and waited, just sniping until the other six wore the enemy team out and then complained about low scores!!! 

Where does on go to check W/L while in a game???  I want to stop getting wasted and sit in the further cap and I'll need something to do for 6 or 8 minutes.....

This is the typical perception of sub 30% suicidally aggressive survival rate players.  They die early and blame the folks still afloat for the loss not realizing that their early death initiated the snowball effect that forced the rest of the team to kite away and farm as much xp/credits as they can before they die.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
723 posts
18,989 battles
41 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

For what it's worth, there are programs that display stats instantly, at the beginning of every battle.  People aren't "sitting alt tabbed" for minutes checking players out one by one.

[5IN]
Supertester
2,106 posts
10,138 battles
2 hours ago, IOWADragon said:

IMHO, It is never ok to play less than your best.  If so, then why even hit battle?  I don't think most players try any less than their utmost in order to achieve victory, it's just sometimes the opposition is that much better.  

I have had matches where just after load-in, players announce in chat they are quitting because of the "crap" team they were dealt.  Its a rarity, but I've seen it.  The amusing part is that in those cases I can remember, they got a free win, because we prevailed despite their presence in the game.

Lastly - this is the result of anonymity on the Internet.  Don't get me wrong, I wholly support being anonymous if you choose.  But if you were to put these same people into a real life situation, I doubt they would behave the same.  Sure, some will be total jerks regardless of anonymity or not, but I think most will be just normal people who can act differently because nobody knows them.  *shrug*

1 hour ago, VGLance said:

We used to be a society where we celebrated exceptionalism, now we demonize it.  It's disturbing on so many levels.

Amen brother.  :Smile_honoring:

B

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
3,687 posts
15,703 battles
1 hour ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

For what it's worth, there are programs that display stats instantly, at the beginning of every battle.  People aren't "sitting alt tabbed" for minutes checking players out one by one.

Can you recommend one......now, I'm curious... 

[O7]
Members
723 posts
18,989 battles
5 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Can you recommend one......now, I'm curious... 

The most rudimentary one is part of aslain's wows mod package.  It is called matchmaking monitor.  This program is fairly limited compared to some of the other programs.  Unfortunately, the others are considerably more difficult to setup and install.  Keep in mind that all of these programs tap into WG's API that is public, so they are all legal to use.  (The stat monitors)

• Cool 1