You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

People complain about the Match Maker but...

21 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts

Sometimes they have a point. The MM failed one team here. Guess who won?

Untitled.jpg.f78b0de358f2c78fee2099458e4302aa.jpg

• One team had a coordinated division and the other didn't.
  • One team had a division of #1 ranked-out players and the other didn't.
  • One team had a significantly better win rate overall.
  • One team had significantly more experience in their ships than the other team.
  • One team had me!
Edited by Snargfargle

Members
926 posts
3,711 battles

I was noticing that teams with the higher average xp, won the matches. And no I do not mean individual players' xp, the team as a whole.

Team average win rates are a whole other debate.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,191 battles
44 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

One team had me!

There's an old adage about correlation and causation, but whatever makes you happy. :Smile_teethhappy:

[--K--]
Members
6,398 posts
14,078 battles
26 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

...This is old news to me..Unicum players teaming up to sealclub has been going on since Beta...

T10 is definitely full of seals. 

[KRAB]
Members
887 posts
7,326 battles

The fact that that division only swung the team win percentage up to 53% suggests that they had a WORSE supporting team than their opponents. 

I do not know what you can complain about - better players win more games, and any accurate "MM Monitor/XVM" system would need to reflect that. 

[NSEW]
Members
1,679 posts
10,236 battles

I'm dipping into turbulent water here by partaking in the thread, having said that.

I would rather believe that the experience of the players in division didn't evenhandedly determine the outcome, but rather the opposing team didn't coordinate to deter their outcome. 

Unicum or not, Winrate or not. If the opposing players played to their strengths together, I'm quite certain that the team that lost would've faired better. I still strongly prefer to believe that this game is about team play, despite the overwhelming odds that we encounter in battles.

Members
623 posts
8,797 battles

C'mon OP you have enough matches under your belt - so why are you under the impression that MM considers ranks and winrate when making random matches?

It doesn't.

Sometimes your team is the hammer, sometimes it is the nail.

Stop expecting teams that are balanced regarding skill levels and you won't have to make threads like this unless you are making a serious proposal for skill-based matchmaker.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
13 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

I'm dipping into turbulent water here by partaking in the thread, having said that.

I would rather believe that the experience of the players in division didn't evenhandedly determine the outcome, but rather the opposing team didn't coordinate to deter their outcome. 

Unicum or not, Winrate or not. If the opposing players played to their strengths together, I'm quite certain that the team that lost would've faired better. I still strongly prefer to believe that this game is about team play, despite the overwhelming odds that we encounter in battles.

In the end it is team play. Richelieu does well in Tier X battles when the team plays well. She will do horrible when the team runs away from one CA while she pushes. My Shimakaze can do great solo if the team plays great. If the team runs, a solo Shima will not last long. Shima for me is no different from uptiered Asashio. They can do great if everyone else does but if everyone runs or hides, they won't do well no matter how much they try.

[NSEW]
Members
1,679 posts
10,236 battles
5 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

In the end it is team play. Richelieu does well in Tier X battles when the team plays well. She will do horrible when the team runs away from one CA while she pushes. My Shimakaze can do great solo if the team plays great. If the team runs, a solo Shima will not last long. Shima for me is no different from uptiered Asashio. They can do great if everyone else does but if everyone runs or hides, they won't do well no matter how much they try.

Precisely, "team play". Even a T7 ship (of any class) can do well to contribute when being matched with T9's. Provided, the team play is there. Otherwise, it's just a quick round for the opposing team. Ensuring a very salty chat from the losing side, with pointy fingers at a random player by dead/alive players who didn't read the whole situation. But only seeing the present, not what led to it. Speaking of, I can't stand toxic uninformed chat by such. 90% of it, is invalid (their raged arguements) by them.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
3 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Precisely, "team play". Even a T7 ship (of any class) can do well to contribute when being matched with T9's. Provided, the team play is there. Otherwise, it's just a quick round for the opposing team. Ensuring a very salty chat from the losing side, with pointy fingers at a random player by dead/alive players who didn't read the whole situation. But only seeing the present, not what led to it. Speaking of, I can't stand toxic uninformed chat by such. 90% of it, is invalid (their raged arguements) by them.

I'm plenty toxic but I do my best to have a reason for it. Watching the entire team runaway while I am on the opposite end of the map doing something else means I am gonna say something. Watching the team hide behind a island means I am gonna say something. My eyes are the teams eyes. My Dive Bombers has eyes on the entire map. My Destroyer's eyes can see what is in front of it. Watching my team not make use of my eyes will cause me to be very salty and toxic because intel means a easier battle to win. When they don't use that intel, well... it sucks.

I've had too many situations where we know where the enemy is but no one does anything about it. I've had too many situations where Battleships sail needlessly and behind TWO GIANT ISLANDs while the rest of the team is sunk. Depending on how salty I become and if my allies get salty with me, I may do the one thing a CV can do that no ship can. I don't do it often but I can do it if my day and that battle is just that bad and horrible. There is only so much you can do about intelligence that does not make use of intelligence.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
23,074 battles
1 hour ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

...This is old news to me..Unicum players teaming up to sealclub has been going on since Beta...

Seal clubbing must mean something different than what I thought since this was a tier X match.

[NSEW]
Members
1,679 posts
10,236 battles

@Vangm94, well i hope to see on battle on the same side. Here's some virtual hope that your actions will translate to others understanding it better.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
Just now, LowSpeed_US said:

@Vangm94, well i hope to see on battle on the same side. Here's some virtual hope that your actions will translate to others understanding it better.

Most of my actions (or my tactics) are in my signature. They explain what I do and how much I try to do some team play. It should also include my videos... maybe.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
40 minutes ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

C'mon OP you have enough matches under your belt - so why are you under the impression that MM considers ranks and winrate when making random matches?

It doesn't.

Sometimes your team is the hammer, sometimes it is the nail.

Stop expecting teams that are balanced regarding skill levels and you won't have to make threads like this unless you are making a serious proposal for skill-based matchmaker.

That's exactly my point; skill doesn't seem to be taken into consideration when matchmaking, only ship tier and type.

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles
2 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

u wat mate? seal clubbing in T10, more like survival, have you tried playing solo, then tried playing in div with 2 other equally skilled or better players? For me its probably 15-20% higher WR avg in a 3 man.

Members
623 posts
8,797 battles
35 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

That's exactly my point; skill doesn't seem to be taken into consideration when matchmaking, only ship tier and type.

Great. Now take a few minutes to think about the many complications involved with instituting skill-based MM and the mutiple ways it would fundamentally change the game and the player experience when everyone(potatos and unicums alike) has a 50% winrate.

Not gonna happen.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,375 posts
5,568 battles
2 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

The fact that that division only swung the team win percentage up to 53% suggests that they had a WORSE supporting team than their opponents. 

I do not know what you can complain about - better players win more games, and any accurate "MM Monitor/XVM" system would need to reflect that. 

there never will be an accurate MM system, because not only do you have to take player skill into account, but you have to take the ship theyre playing, the div, the map,players WR on the map, tier difference, and im sure ive missed a few. but there will never be an accurate MM monitoring because its not possible to weigh everything that would need to be taken into account, some of which are hard to numerically value.

[SIDE]
Members
830 posts
5,059 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

T10 is definitely full of seals. 

You'd be extremely surprised about this......... T10 is full of them.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
3 minutes ago, Merlox said:

You'd be extremely surprised about this......... T10 is full of them.

Got a Picture of the seals right here

IaPj2NB.gif