You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

One of the best changes WG made

36 comments in this topic

[--K--]
Members
6,390 posts
14,050 battles

I don't see too many people praising anything that WG does, and I haven't really seen anyone talk about this since it was patched in. But I must say, you don't hear too many complaints about team composition since they instituted mirrored matchmaking. I also have not seen too much longer Q's as a result either.

I very rarely see a team that isn't mirrored. It's fixed those matches where there are 1 more dd than the other team when the enemy team only has 1 to start with.

So anyways, great change WG!!!

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 10

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,851 posts
13,603 battles

Most of the whining now is all about radar and of course detonations.

[O7]
Members
723 posts
18,916 battles
6 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I don't see too many people praising anything that WG does, and I haven't really seen anyone talk about this since it was patched in. But I must say, you don't hear too many complaints about team composition since they instituted mirrored matchmaking. I also have not seen too much longer Q's as a result either.

I very rarely see a team that isn't mirrored. It's fixed those matches where there are 1 more dd than the other team when the enemy team only has 1 to start with.

Tbh, they are making great strides.  The game seems to be in a decent place atm.  With the sharks vs eagles, plus the legendary upgrade grinds and CB, there's so much content atm.  Few ever say it, but Good job WG!! Keep it up.  Honestly, the WOWS devs are so much better than the WOT devs.  It took them 5 years to add an in game dmg counter for wot.  It only took about 3 months for it to be added to wows.  (Smoke timers, mini map enhancements, and other elements added have all been great quality of life improvements as well)

Edited by bfk_ferlyfe
  • Cool 2

[--K--]
Members
6,390 posts
14,050 battles
6 minutes ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

Tbh, they are making great strides.  The game seems to be in a decent place atm.  With the sharks vs eagles, plus the legendary upgrade grinds and CB, there's so much content atm.  Few ever say it, but Good job WG!! Keep it up.  Honestly, the WOWS devs are so much better than the WOT devs.  It took them 5 years to add an in game dmg counter for wot.  It only took about 3 months for it to be added to wows.  (Smoke timers, mini map enhancements, and other elements added have all been great quality of life improvements as well)

Agreed

[NMKJT]
Members
4,078 posts

Personally I'm not fond of the current meta; I don't see myself playing in 6 months the way it's going. 

The quality of life stuff is welcome, I agree on that

• Cool 2

[FAE]
Members
2,494 posts
3,225 battles

Yeah. This worked out well.

Finally. 

Though I've now seen the MM put 3 divs (including a 3 person) against 1 div (3 person)... that's not supposed to happen lol. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

One good thing would have to be really good if it's going to outweigh multiple disappointments.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,488 posts
12,140 battles
40 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

And T8 matchmaking.

My perception at T8 is that I end up in T10-heavy matches far more often than I think I should. I'm not yet so good that I see this from the get-go as an opportunity to mine higher-tier ships for damage and sweet XP, but I've taken fair-size chunks out of Minotaurs in my Edinburgh recently so I think either my skills and confidence or my reckless abandon is improving. :Smile_teethhappy:

Plenty of new opportunities to get free stuff (via coal) that I thought I had missed (Aigle, Bismarck/French/Dunkirk containers, Frosty Fir Tree camo, etc.). I can't complain about that. And compared to previous, they're handing out Equal Speed Charlie London flags and free XP like it was candy. Can't complain about that either. I'm not free-to-play any more, but I once was, and I suspect the completely/obligatory FTP crowd must be licking their chops right about now.

Do I hate the radar meta when I drive destroyers/British cruisers? Maybe I do, but then I am a seal-potato and I place the responsibility for failure in that area squarely at my own feet.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[W_ZBR]
Members
272 posts
6,351 battles

The only time I have seen an unbalanced match was the other day I had a 7 vs 7 and out team had 2 DDs with the enemy having one. The reason for the odd matchmaking, I believe, is due to the CV que. NA CVs aren't as plentiful as on the EU servers (or so I've heard).  Their long wait time may have contributed to the uneven MM.

In all, I like the way the game is atm. 

GG Wargaming

Members
926 posts
3,711 battles
40 minutes ago, Battleship_Constitution said:

Nothing wrong with T8 mm.

Sure, if you like facing T10 the majority of the time.

[TDRB]
Members
4,252 posts
12,250 battles
39 minutes ago, Battleship_Constitution said:

Nothing wrong with T8 mm. as for radar DD's need to learn their ranges and enemy radar ranges.

Being the bottom tier more often than not, whether it is real or perceived, does make grinding a T8 ship very unpleasant. 

[--K--]
Members
6,390 posts
14,050 battles
12 minutes ago, DeathLord1969 said:

Sure, if you like facing T10 the majority of the time.

Good xp being bottom tier! Take advantage of it!! 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
3 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Only worth it if you can impact the game.

Most tier 8 players can't and most tier 8 ships can't unless they're in the hands of good players who don't need the XP anyway. Or they get lucky and then post that one screenshot as if it's a typical experience.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

Members
926 posts
3,711 battles
24 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Taking advantage of and having rngesus tell you "nope", are vastly different. Also, seeing T10s the majority of the time gets tiresome fast.

[O7]
Members
723 posts
18,916 battles
4 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

Hasn’t really solved anything. It seems like most of the higher tiered matches still are blowouts.

The blowouts are a result of skill discrepancy between the teams.  There's nothing the MM can do if a super unicum div is facing a tomato div.  That game will be a blowout.

[--K--]
Members
6,390 posts
14,050 battles
3 hours ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

The blowouts are a result of skill discrepancy between the teams.  There's nothing the MM can do if a super unicum div is facing a tomato div.  That game will be a blowout.

I'd love to see if this is server meta related and what average game length is on all the servers and percentage of games lasting less than 10 minutes 

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,375 posts
5,568 battles
5 hours ago, Battleship_Constitution said:

Nothing wrong with T8 mm. as for radar DD's need to learn their ranges and enemy radar ranges.

the range literally has nothing to do with the radar problem...

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

WG is Doing OK... Fair to Medlin.

When on a Long Road patience is needed to reach the end of the road.

WG has taken the "First Step"

[RG]
[RG]
Members
2,891 posts
6,829 battles
5 hours ago, Battleship_Constitution said:

That's all, huh? Wish I'd known

[INTEL]
Members
12,125 posts
33,646 battles
21 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Yes, it's really nice at peak hours. You still get very, very rare non-balanced teams at off-peak hours. That was really a good move by WG.

I think the issue is that this is only the beginning. Just loaded into a T10 match on Shatter -- can't even imagine the mind of the person who designed that trash -- and Red had the unicum CV and the radar advantage. There's no point in finishing such matches, they are over when the teams  load in. It dragged out for 13 mins before we finally lost.

As long as players work their way up to the high tiers and experience crappy, foredoomed matches on horrible, choked, cramped maps, they will not consider the MM issue solved. As long as T8s are constantly uptiered to T10 where they should not be, then players will kvetch about the MM. As long as T5 and T6 suck because of the constant uptiering, people will complain about the MM.

The crappy maps and constant uptiering need addressed. It's incredible that the devs have wasted resources on pointless developments like the silly and abusive emblems, while we. have. no. new. maps. 

Oh, and revert the T4 restricted matchmaking please. That decision did enormous damage to game enjoyability.  

[INTEL]
Members
12,125 posts
33,646 battles
21 hours ago, Battleship_Constitution said:

Glad you told us this. It's always good to hear the expertise of a player with no DDs above T8 and whose most-played DD is a T7 Sims with just 78 games. 

• Cool 1

[RG]
[RG]
Members
2,891 posts
6,829 battles

There are a lot of ships that have radar as a substitute for smoke, and there's no way to know which of those might bring radar instead.

But for ships that get a dedicated slot for radar...we really, really need some kind of governing method to A) limit the number per game, and B) give each team the same number. The difference between having 4 radars and two is Yuge. Bigly.