Radar_X

The World of Warships Wiki Team is Looking for More!

73 comments in this topic

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

The World of Warships Wiki is a wealth of information on ships, game mechanics, and general information that you can reference at any time.  The Wiki Team is looking for new Editors and you can join them!

Not only do editors receive access to in development content, but they help shape how important information is cataloged for the community and Wargaming!

Want to join?  All you'll need to do is submit your best performance (how to play) for the Ognevoi Destroyer.  The team will select the best entries and ask you to join them!

Entries should meet the following qualifications:

• All entries should be posted to this forum thread   
  • Entry must be at least 500 words
  • No plagiarism of any kind
  • Entries must be compliant with our Forum Guidelines
  • They will accept entries from now until 11:59 PM PT August 6th.
  • Cool 3

[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,802 posts
19,520 battles

JOIN US!!!!  We have cookies :)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
1,284 posts
22,160 battles

There is certainly information on the official wiki that is in enormous need of editing such as the Black Swan...

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
7,894 posts
13,057 battles
9 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

Double stuff Oreos, or I'm not interested :cap_cool:

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,566 posts
11,398 battles
9 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

There is certainly information on the official wiki that is in enormous need of editing such as the Black Swan...

Anyone with 100 battles played can edit the wiki.  If you see something you want to change, feel free, just be aware that the editing staff will review it later.  

[KWF]
Members
3,923 posts
5,894 battles

I am interested in submitting an entry, but before doing anything, could you fill us in workload wise? How intensive is it? Any specific hours we have to contribute each week? I would hate it if I were to get picked, then realize I cant devote the time needed.

• Cool 1

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles

Its always ships I don't know much about!! This is what happens when your port is filled with nothing but Japanese ships! 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,853 battles
13 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I am interested in submitting an entry, but before doing anything, could you fill us in workload wise? How intensive is it? Any specific hours we have to contribute each week? I would hate it if I were to get picked, then realize I cant devote the time needed.

Workload isn't heavy. We request that at the least you check in once a month, as well as make one major contribution to the wiki per month. Whether that be assigned or not.

To everyone that sends an entry, good luck to all! I look forward to seeing what you all put forth! 

Fair winds and following seas captains! :Smile_honoring:

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,853 battles
9 minutes ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

Its always ships I don't know much about!! This is what happens when your port is filled with nothing but Japanese ships! 

Psst. Just try anyways! :fish_aqua:

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,698 posts
42 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

I don't know... what's in it for me?

Beta Testers
631 posts
5,967 battles

So the entry is just a 500 word or less guide on how to get the best performance out of the Ognevoi?

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,021 posts
7,903 battles
18 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

I don't know... what's in it for me?

How about a bottle good wine?

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,291 battles
10 minutes ago, Panic512 said:

So the entry is just a 500 word or less guide on how to get the best performance out of the Ognevoi?

More, not less. The minimum is 500 words. You can decide how far you want to take your performance piece after that.

Beta Testers
631 posts
5,967 battles
1 minute ago, RivertheRoyal said:

More, not less. The minimum is 500 words. You can decide how far you want to take your performance piece after that.

Awesome thanks!

[CUTE]
Privateers, Supertester
728 posts
8,906 battles

Unofficial requirements:

-Tolerant of weebs and anime

-Tolerant of ship-posting

-Tolerance or hatred of mayonnaise. Nothing in between; must pick a side. 

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,698 posts
10 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

Unofficial requirements:

-Tolerant of ship-posting

-Tolerance or hatred of mayonnaise. Nothing in between; must pick a side. 

Will I be allowed to write my reviews in the style of Jeremy Clarkson?

[KWF]
Members
3,923 posts
5,894 battles
10 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Will I be allowed to write my reviews in the style of Jeremy Clarkson?

If only it were Kiev :Smile_glasses:

giphy.gif

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,566 posts
11,398 battles
35 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

Unofficial requirements:

May as well make this one official.  @Sharkbait_416 and I are only non-weebs in the entire group.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,021 posts
7,903 battles
7 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

May as well make this one official.  @Sharkbait_416 and I are only non-weebs in the entire group.

May as well convert you to the Dark Side of the force

cjYti18.jpg

[-K-]
Privateers, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester
5,877 posts
8,940 battles
9 minutes ago, Panic512 said:

Do we post the entries here in this thread?

Yes.

Beta Testers
631 posts
5,967 battles

Hello All,

This is my entry to be considered for the Wiki Team. As per required it is a guide on how to get the best performance out of the Ognevoi, one of two of the tier 8 Russian Destroyers. Ognevoi is a bit of an odd ship in terms of how she is setup. I’m gonna break it down into sections discussing each separate part of the her and then give my recommendations on Modules and Commander Skills.

Guns

First off for the Ogenvoi is her guns. She has two turrets with 2 guns per turret. These turrets are arranged with one on the bow and one near the stern. The guns once upgraded have a very respectable 180 degree turn time at 9 secs. You might think that this would be a good stat, but it is then offset by the guns themselves. The have the flat gun arcs that Russian Destroyers are known for, but since there is only 4 of them in 2 turrets, you aren’t really able to duel with proper gunboats at her tier such as the Benson, Kiev, and Hsienyang.

Another downside to the 2 turret only setup is that if you lose a turret you lose half of your firepower in terms of your guns. Her gun arcs are very comfortable to play with, but the 5 sec reload feels kinda odd if your trying to set fires or do damage period.

She has a ~12km firing range which is second of the tier 8 destroyers. She is  beat by the Kiev’s 12.25km and the Hsienyang’s 12.5km firing ranges.  Below her is the Benson’s firing range of 11.6km, the 11.25km range of the Akizuki, the 10.4km range of the Z-23, and Kagero at the bottom at 9.4km. So for firing range she ranks right in the middle of the tier 8 non premium destroyers.

Torpedoes

The Ognevoi’s torpedo setup can be compared to the Benson’s torp setup. There are no module upgrades for the Ognevoi in terms of her torpedoes, what you get when you first buy the ship is what you stay with until you unlock the Udaloi.

Her torpedoes have a 10km range, but they only go 56 knots, so they are slower torpedoes. In fact they are only 1 knot faster than the Benson’s torpedoes which are 55 knots with a 9.2 km range. I think its fair to mention that instead  of a 3 or 4 torpedo tube per setup, the Ognevoi is 2 Quintuple (5) torpedo tubes.  They do have a 92 second reload base (1min 32 seconds) which is short compared to the Benson’s  122 sec, Kagero’s 112 sec reload, Kiev’s 117  sec( I mention Kiev because she is the other tier 8 RU DD, but she is not really too reliant on her torps) and the Hsienyang’s 122 sec ( same as Benson, but they are deepwater so no use against destroyers). The Akizuki has 112 sec reload but only has one torpedo set. The only ship that beats the Ognevoi in terms of torpedo reload is the Z-23 with a 90 sec reload. So the torpedoes are useable, but these are somewhat hindered by her detection, which I will discuss next.

Hitpoints

In regards to the hitpoints, the Ognevoi sits at 16,100 which is behind the Kiev’s 16,200, the Akizuki's 20,400, and the Z-23's 19,500 and well above the Hsienyang’s 15,500, the Benson’s 15,400,  and the Kagero’s 15,100. So she has hit points to spare, but if in a tier 9-10 matchmaking that will very marginally make a difference.

Detectability

Her detectability is really not a strong suite of the Ognevoi and its painfully obvious if you get up-tiered against tier 9 and 10 destroyers. Ognevoi’s base detect without modules or commander skills is 7.7km, this is quite bad actually for a destroyer at tier 8 and it means other destroyers of her tier (other than the Kiev) are better suited in terms of concealment. As comparison Benson’s base concealment is 7.38km ( same detect for Hsienyang as well), Kagero’s base concealment is 6.8, and Kiev’s base concealment is 9km. The Akizuki's base detect is 7.76km is only slightly worse than the Ognevoi and in second to last detect is the Z-23 at 7.92km base. So in terms of performance in game, she will be spotted quite far out and for a destroyer is not a good thing.

Maneuverability

Ognevoi’s maneuverability in terms of turn rate has the second tightest of the tier 8 destroyers at 610m, she is only beat by the Benson at 570m, the Kagero lags behind at 640m, Z-23 is at 680m, Kiev is at 690m, and Akizuki at 730m. Speed wise she is at 37 knots, same as Z-23. She is .5 knots slower than the Hsienyang and 1 knot slower than the Benson’s top speed of 38 knots and 5.5 knots slower than the Kiev’s top speed of 42.5 knots. She beat’s the Kagero’s top speed of 35 top speed by 2 knots however. Both Ognevoi and Kiev have 4.8 second rudder shift, which is worse than both the Benson and Kagero’s 2.7 second rudder shift and worse than the Z-23s 4.5 sec rudder shift. At the bottom of course is Akizuki at 33 knots with a 5.6 rudder shift.

Recommendations

So in terms of playstyle, the Ognevoi like mentioned is a very odd feeling destroyer to play. With the odd 5 sec main battery reload and the slow 10 km torps that require some thought when you launch them to the awkward concealment.

The playstyle I would recommend is to use her guns to try to start fires on Cruisers and Battleships. Her torpedoes you can use much like you would Benson torps, but make sure when you launch them to give some thought as to what your target may do after you launch because they are slower. If you manage to get in a closer range gunfight with another destroyer, try to disengage and get out of detection range as quickly as possible. Your guns are not strong enough to gun down even the Kagero. It takes a while to try to kill even a destroyer of her tier, you may kill some tier 6 or 7 destroyers, but I still wouldn’t bet to heavily on it.

In terms of Modules I would recommend to use on her. I would highly, highly recommend taking the Concealment module  to try to lower the concealment to a somewhat acceptable level of 6.9km. If you stack the Concealment Expert commander skill on top of this to further lower the concealment down to 6.2km.

You’ll want to run Main Armaments Mod 1 in your first slot to make sure that your two turrets won’t get disable or destroyed as easily by incoming fire. The Ognevoi is very prone to getting her engine knocked out, so I would recommend running Propulsion Mod 1 to reduce the chance of that happening. Commander skill wise I would recommend  Last Stand so that if you do lose your engine it won’t put you still in the water. Slot 3 I would recommend Aiming Systems Mod 1 to reduce main battery dispersion, with the also added benefit of increase the traverse speed of your torpedo tubes.

For the fourth slot I would recommend either propulsion mod 2 or steering gear mod 2. One makes it easier to speed up and slow down, the other will reduce the rudder shift time making her more maneuverable.

These modules will allow you to become a little more well rounded destroyer, although your guns and detect are still weaknesses.

Commander skills

For the first I would recommend either Priority Target to see how many people are targeting you, or Preventative Maintenance to further reduce the chance of your main battery being incapacitated.

Second level I would recommend first Last Stand, then if you have the points you could grab Adrenaline Rush so that if you get low health your gun and torp reload will be reduced. If you wanted you could also take torpedo acceleration, although it will reduce your 10km range but it will add 5 knots to increase your torp speed to 61 knots and a range of 8km.

Level 3 I would suggest 3 skills that you can pick between, first is Superintendent for more consumables, second is Demolition Expert for the higher chance of fires with your main battery guns, and third is torpedo armament expertise to speed up your overall torpedo reload to 82 seconds, ( 1min 22 seconds) which is the same as the Benson’s without any reload skills added. You could also take Basic fire Training to decrease your reload time by 10%, which will make her somewhat awkward reload to a more comfortable 4.5.

Fourth level I would highly suggest Concealment expert to reduce your concealment. You could also take Advanced Firing Training to extend your main battery gun range by 20% up to 14.424km.

Conclusion

This has been my review/performance guide of the Ognevoi Tier 8 Russian Destroyer. I hope you found it helpful and informative.

Edited by Panic512
Formatting and slight editing.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,291 battles
1 hour ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

Most of us are just weeblets though...