Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Labedoyere

dd guns v dd guns

15 comments in this topic

Members
178 posts
7,700 battles

Whenever i find myself fighting against another dd and her guns i keep getting my butt kicked! I know that the best thing for me to fire is he but where is the best spot to air at.....For some reason i dont think it would be at the waterline but that is a guess. Is there a best spot to air at on a dd ?

thanks

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,079 posts
17,127 battles

Depends on your DD, your guns and the enemy DD. Rule of thumb: go for the superstructure. It's thinner, so if you have small guns and you're fighting a higher tier destroyer, your HE will still be able to damage him without IFHE in most cases. If the target is broadside to you, feel free to switch to AP and machine gun his hull though.

Beta Testers
631 posts
5,967 battles

Another strategy that helps is when you do find yourself in a gun battle with another dd is to try to angle away from him. This is for two reason, first is that it helps minimize AP damage and it also makes it easier to dodge torpedoes if the other dd launches them.

Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
1 hour ago, Labedoyere said:

Whenever i find myself fighting against another dd and her guns i keep getting my butt kicked! I know that the best thing for me to fire is he but where is the best spot to air at.....For some reason i dont think it would be at the waterline but that is a guess. Is there a best spot to air at on a dd ?

thanks

I would say the biggest moment for me was realizing the difference in AP and HE. You hear so many people say to use HE when you are a DD and it’s true 90% of the time. It is also hard to multitask for some people but if you are good at it, learn when your AP will pen and when it will bounce. It really might not sound like much but 6 pens with AP vs HE can make a difference in knife fights. I’ve found recently I can usually get 2 salvos of AP off before having to switch to HE.

I’ve been playing the Ognevoi and with HE at 1,900 vs AP at 2,600 it makes a difference. 627 vs 858 with 4 shells is 2,508 per salvo vs 3,452 per salvo. It looks small but if you learn to use it right, that extra ~1k damage helps. Also learn to use teammates line of sight and your smoke. If you bait the enemy DD into shooting when your team has line of sight, you can smoke and get roughly 20s (usually way more) of somewhat free shots.

Really just depends on the DD vs DD though. 

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,387 posts
10,195 battles

High up on the thickest part of the ship exposed to you. You want as many of your HE shells to hit as possible. You want your HE to break as many things as possible as often as you can during the gun fight on top of just giving out raw damage.

Members
874 posts
14,046 battles
29 minutes ago, Panic512 said:

Another strategy that helps is when you do find yourself in a gun battle with another dd is to try to angle away from him. This is for two reason, first is that it helps minimize AP damage and it also makes it easier to dodge torpedoes if the other dd launches them.

I would add one thing to this: Some DD players are not the best shots. I have seen many times red DD shots landing short  because he forgot to factor in that I was angling away.

Beta Testers
631 posts
5,967 battles
Just now, Prothall said:

I would add one thing to this: Some DD players are not the best shots. I have seen many times red DD shots landing short  because he forgot to factor in that I was angling away.

I second this as well. I feel as though sometimes the adrenaline of those close range gunfights gets to people and they panic and miss.

• Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
1,081 posts
11,846 battles

American/t8-10 Asian close the distance while blasting the upper hull knocking out modules. Merica out dpms other dds. Unless against a INJ DD then you don't have to close the distance, but I have had to chase several down.

Russian DD. They are mythological creatures. Russian supper light cruiser kept the range above 7km and pew pew until dead.

IJN. Smoke, engine boost, and drop torps while running.

Don't have a lot of time in the KM dd

[DRHS]
Members
403 posts
18,006 battles

TBH it really depends on which DD line your in. US, HE spam usually wins the day aiming for just a bit above water line. KM AP and the same aiming, just above waterline. HE spam is the way to go when enemy is angled. Learning exactly where to aim is a big part of DD vs DD play. Their angel plays a lot into where to aim as does the ship your in. Russian and KM guns fire straight , IJN/US arc more. KM at longer ranges start to act more like US guns. The range angle and which ship your in changes where to aim quite a bit.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,372 posts
4,342 battles

As a good rule of thumb aim along the top of the hull when firing at another DD.  If the rounds go low you get hull damage.  If the rounds go high you nail superstructure and armament.  I try to aim such that the rounds will land roughly amidships at the top of the hull overall against a DD.  Of course, all-too-often they end up further aft, but a hit is a hit.

• Cool 1

[C-1]
Members
438 posts
8,687 battles

From what I hear, the Russian and German DD hulls are tough as nails so their armor (supposedly) is considered "better". Can't say that I notice much a difference in how they handle receiving damage from 127mm guns when compared to other DD's though.

Typically, you don't have to worry about HE not dealing damage, rarely other DD's angle to a point that you need to worry about bouncing any rounds (never seemed had a issue with angled targets) and it has more to do with actually getting the rounds on target. Since I don't use AP at all in my DD's, I can't say if there's any major difference between dealing damaged against a angled DD using AP.

The 127mm (or is it 123mm?) of the US and most other DD's doesn't need anything particularly special to deal damage and keep from bouncing. They will almost always cause damage to a enemy DD upon a hit; even if a enemy DD is angled. The German 150mm is obviously going to deal damage AND can citadel a broadsided cruiser. There are a few British DD's that have a smaller caliber than the 127mm (I think it might be around a 110mm or something) and they may struggle a bit with getting through a angled DD's armor.

The only DD that will really have problems penetrating the armor of other DD's would be the Japanese DD's equipped with the 100mm guns. They almost require IFHE; or you had better be hitting the enemy DD directly in the sides or superstructure. From what I hear, the 100mm guns fire at 1000m/s BUT they lose velocity very quickly. I would assume that they are therefore next to useless at max range but probably has more than enough energy at close range to guarantee damage. (anyone with knowledge or personal experience on their performance would be appreciated. Still got some grinding to do with the Japanese DD line).

As far as I know, the DD's with 120mm and above can deal damage to any other DD no matter what without IFHE (this includes all US DD's, All Russian DD's, French, and most Pan Asian's, and even most Japanese DD's). Just get the shells on target and you will deal damage.

Anything below 120mm's and you might want to invest in IFHE to ensure that they penetrate the armor of DD's if they are angled and to ensure that you can even deal damage at all against cruisers and BB's. (This includes Tier 8 and above Japanese "Gunboat" line and British DD (<one of the premiums... don't quote me on that one).

But to answer the original question: Just aim at whatever point will give you the best chance of getting the shell on target; aka try to get your shells to land in the center mass. Aiming for the waterline only helps if you are attempting to hit the citadel of a enemy cruiser or BB. DD's don't have those. Alternatively, IF you are good enough (or lucky enough) you can try to get your shells to land near the rear of the enemy DD which has a higher chance of taking out the enemies propulsion and/or rudder.

Now, when it comes to enemy ships (cruisers or BB's), 127mm will require you to fire at the Superstructure and damage to anything else you hit will be based entirely on angle for cruisers (only broadside hits will cause damage to light cruisers) and not matter at all against the armored sides of BB's (you can fire all day long at the sides of BB's and never penetrate that armor). IFHE is almost required for the 100mm's to deal significant damage to even the sides of light cruisers... so... always advised.

I'm not sure how much IFHE improves 127mm penetration against a cruisers hull though and if you can actually penetrate a cruisers hull armor if you have it. I still know that hitting the hull of a BB with those guns (even if that BB is fully broadside) does next to nothing even with IFHE. The only DD in the game that can dish out guaranteed damage to enemy cruisers and (probably) enemy BB's are the German DD's carrying the 150mm's.

[WMD]
Members
1,259 posts
8,808 battles
23 hours ago, Murotsu said:

As a good rule of thumb aim along the top of the hull when firing at another DD.  If the rounds go low you get hull damage.  If the rounds go high you nail superstructure and armament.  I try to aim such that the rounds will land roughly amidships at the top of the hull overall against a DD.  Of course, all-too-often they end up further aft, but a hit is a hit.

This is solid advice with HE against a DD that's maneuvering hard. You'll land hits and do damage, beyond that experiment with AP and HE. In my Z-52 I use HE on anything but broadside DDs, CA/CL, and BB superstructures at close range. 

I'm not amazing, but I manage to come in on the top half of my team most times. 

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,372 posts
4,342 battles
1 hour ago, VeatherVitch said:

This is solid advice with HE against a DD that's maneuvering hard. You'll land hits and do damage, beyond that experiment with AP and HE. In my Z-52 I use HE on anything but broadside DDs, CA/CL, and BB superstructures at close range. 

I'm not amazing, but I manage to come in on the top half of my team most times. 

My advice is stick to HE and focus more on your own maneuvering, use of things like smoke, and working on getting a good torpedo spread going.  Once you get those things down... and I by no means am a big destroyer player... then worry about details like AP v. HE. 

The idea here is that a destroyer's weapon of decision is torpedoes and their role is primarily spotting and concealing their teammates.  After that, adding hurt to whatever's in range is sort of icing on the cake and sometimes counterproductive if you aren't spotted yet.

Members
26 posts
6,644 battles

Yea, if you have 120mm or higher, your HE will pen dd's no matter where you hit them (except khaba) due to the thin armor (<20mm), so don't aim at the water line because some of your shells will fall short.  Aim at the middle of the ship to maximize hits.    This covers 90% of the time.  If the enemy is flat broadside, aim AP at the middle of the full for increased damage.  

However, I think the more important tactic is to alter your course to make the enemy miss, especially if he has higher DPM than you do.  Of course, if you are fighting against a german dd, angle away to avoid insane AP damage unless you like losing 4-5k hp per salvo.  Germans have relatively weak HE, so you can win HE fights with most other gunboats.   

Sign in to follow this