You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Improving Kagero Guns?

4 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
11,755 posts
13,325 battles

I love playing the Kagero since it has great qualities that allow it to be effective if used well even against X ships I often will find myself in gun fight with other DDs thare are out trying to stealth Torp and spot like I am. Now I wonder if there is any good way of improving the guns to give me a little more of an edge besides getting a Harekaze which is something I am unable to buy?

Harekaze can be painful with it’s 100mm guns that are now buffed, and since it matches my Kagero in stealth I do run into those and have to engage them since unlike some other DDs that I can see in time to turn away from, Harekaze forces me into gun duals which can be painful. My Kagero Guns do the best they can currently, but not exactly a match for 100mm Akizuki Guns on Harekaze.

I currently have Preventive Maintenance, Last Stand, Adrenaline Rush, Torpedo Expert, Concealment Expert, and Superintendent. Any idea for the remaining 4 points?

Have 312 Kagero Battles logged so far and 53% WR even with Summer, weekend team, or normal teams so not too bad, but do have the intersting predicament I find myself in as I mentioned above that would be good to improve on. Not every DD is willing to be out ahead spotting and laying Torps to disrupt or sink the enemy, so definitely need to improve my odds of staying useful to my teams since sometimes I quickly end up being our only DD.

[WOLF4]
Members
840 posts
11,036 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I love playing the Kagero since it has great qualities that allow it to be effective if used well even against X ships I often will find myself in gun fight with other DDs thare are out trying to stealth Torp and spot like I am. Now I wonder if there is any good way of improving the guns to give me a little more of an edge besides getting a Harekaze which is something I am unable to buy?

Harekaze can be painful with it’s 100mm guns that are now buffed, and since it matches my Kagero in stealth I do run into those and have to engage them since unlike some other DDs that I can see in time to turn away from, Harekaze forces me into gun duals which can be painful. My Kagero Guns do the best they can currently, but not exactly a match for 100mm Akizuki Guns on Harekaze.

I currently have Preventive Maintenance, Last Stand, Adrenaline Rush, Torpedo Expert, Concealment Expert, and Superintendent. Any idea for the remaining 4 points?

Have 312 Kagero Battles logged so far and 53% WR even with Summer, weekend team, or normal teams so not too bad, but do have the intersting predicament I find myself in as I mentioned above that would be good to improve on. Not every DD is willing to be out ahead spotting and laying Torps to disrupt or sink the enemy, so definitely need to improve my odds of staying useful to my teams,  since sometimes I quickly end up being our only DD.

You have a couple of choices, in making Kag more effective.

Take those last four points and use them for RDF, which - once you get used to it - allows you to pretty much pick the fights you get into with red DDs.

Alternatively - you can invest those four points into BFT and PT.  BFT doesn't make a huge difference on DDs that already have a quick reload - but its noticeable on a boat with a 7 second reload.

If you really want to make Kag an effective boat in knife fights, it'll require a full re-spec.

Heres how I would do it:

Gun focused: PT, LS, EM, SE, BFT, CE, RDF.

Balanced: PT, LS, EM, TAE, SE, CE, RDF.

Honestly - I will always choose PT over PM, and especially on the IJN DDs - find SE to be far more worthwhile than SI, and prefer EM over AR in every single instance on boats with slow turrets.  Out turning your turrets will get you killed in a knife fight rather quickly - making any advantage you might reap from AR irrelevant.

As to RDF - its a skill I run on my Shima/Fujin/Shino Commander - and find it very strong.  I rarely get surprised by red DDs, anymore - and, as I use my IJN DDs as objective boats, love knowing whether I can expect a cap to be contested - or whether I can just push into a cap and look to send torps laterally into a cap being contested by a red DD.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited to add:  If you can slot the special module for speed boost onto her (and the wiki doesn't say you can.  I know I can slot a special module onto Kidd, but don't regularly play any TT T8 DDs - so can't say if this applies to non--premium ships), I would do that.  More boost to get into a broadside torping position - or to escape an uneven knife fight - is never a bad idea on an IJN DD.

Edited by ddoubletapp1
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,755 posts
13,325 battles

Yeah Kagero has the speed boost module mounted onto it that extends action time of speed boosts. Only way I get away some times is by having that mounted. Also helps me catch up to enemy ships and potentially sink them before they can do damage to my team. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
1,144 posts
9,631 battles
On 7/30/2018 at 12:27 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

so definitely need to improve my odds of staying useful to my teams since sometimes I quickly end up being our only DD.

RPF is the way to go. Maybe wait until 17 points. It depends whether you think you need the TAE skill. SE is the first 3 point skill in all my DDs. I prefer RDF before TAE in IJN DDs. 

If you are as good in a DD  as in the Yammy, I hope to see you in green.