You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11C4O

Pensacola

36 comments in this topic

Members
436 posts
202 battles

I'm pretty sure they should have left the Pensacola the way it was at tier 7 with all it's Buffs and just moved it down to tier 6. The server average says this thing is in need of serious buffs.

There is no way that ship with those guns should be performing that badly unless.

A. Its turret rotation is too slow

B. It's reload is way too slow

Check and check, the concealment could always be better but I think A and B are the major culprit's.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
8,039 posts
13,285 battles

Another issue could be that inexperienced players are coming into Pensacola from Omaha, not realizing that she has a more deliberate playstyle than her predecessor.  The same problem transition from light to heavy cruisers happens from Kuma to Furutaka in the IJN line, where it goes from pew-pew-pew to a more advanced playstyle.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,536 posts
23,672 battles

Of all the ‘new’ ships, the only I still like is Penny...

...but yeah; the turret rotation sucks.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
4,047 posts
6,213 battles

Most glass cannon style ships need.knowledge to perform effectively. I feel this could be a reason. Havent played pepsi since she became Tier VI, but I feel a 10 gun AP broadside is pretty strong for her tier.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,851 battles

The Pensacola is one ship I disliked a lot .. slow slow slow ..it ended me going down the US Cruiser line, sold the Pensacola and moved on,then the US Cruiser split happened darned if they didn’t give me another Pensacola so I played my one game in it to get my free CommanderXP... it wasn’t any better..and promptly sold it yet again

Thank you Wows

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
5,237 posts
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Most glass cannon style ships need.knowledge to perform effectively. I feel this could be a reason. Havent played pepsi since she became Tier VI, but I feel a 10 gun AP broadside is pretty strong for her tier.

A 10 gun broadside is only strong if you can bring it to bear.  I don't have a problem with ships being reasonably strong.  I do have a problem with ships being weak.

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

Ship is amazing as top, maybe even middle tier, but at T6 it gets matched with T8 often and doesnt do well. Playing this ship in co-op or ops is hilarious, the pen angles for the AP are nuts, like getting bow cits in ops, i lold so hard.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,516 posts
53 minutes ago, IronMike11C4O said:

I'm pretty sure they should have left the Pensacola the way it was at tier 7 with all it's Buffs and just moved it down to tier 6. The server average says this thing is in need of serious buffs.

There is no way that ship with those guns should be performing that badly unless.

A. Its turret rotation is too slow

B. It's reload is way too slow

Check and check, the concealment could always be better but I think A and B are the major culprit's.

Battleship turret rotation on a tier 6 cruiser....film at 11.

The guns are great, but if you can't get them on target or keep them on target, it really doesn't matter how great they are....:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by awiggin
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,929 posts
9,717 battles
56 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Another issue could be that inexperienced players are coming into Pensacola from Omaha, not realizing that she has a more deliberate playstyle than her predecessor.  The same problem transition from light to heavy cruisers happens from Kuma to Furutaka in the IJN line, where it goes from pew-pew-pew to a more advanced playstyle.

Slow turret traverse and reload time does make Pensacola's play more deliberate than Omaha's spam-firing, but other than that it isn't very different from Omaha. Maneuverability is pretty similar and similar detection, thin armor, and large citadel-size and placement means you have to play them both with similar caution. You can come out and bully DDs and cruisers if you careful about your angling. You have to stay well clear of BBs and hit them from range (and preferably behind islands). 

The Omaha -> Pensacola -> New Orleans transition is far easier to manage than Omaha -> Cleveland -> Pensacola. Cleveland has zero in common with the ship before it or after it and it taught all the wrong things for playing Pensacola. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,039 posts
13,285 battles
32 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

A 10 gun broadside is only strong if you can bring it to bear.  I don't have a problem with ships being reasonably strong.  I do have a problem with ships being weak.

I wouldn't call Pensacola weak by any means.  More misunderstood than anything.

Speaking of 10 gun broadsides, I'm finding Dallas to be pretty fun.  I've already unlocked the Worcester after working up from Cleveland, but decided to go back and grind out Dallas and Helena.  My expectations were moderate at best, but so far, I find her to be pretty enjoyable.  IFHE will make all the difference once I get the last two skill points to unlock it.

Members
3,059 posts
2,529 battles

Historical data say the turrets had Train Rate of about 3.5 degrees per second.

This equate out to about 51 seconds for a full 180 degrees.

In game it's 45 seconds. So she's actually buffed more compared to historic data.

Edited by Hurlbut

Members
18 posts
4,381 battles

I really hated the Pensacola at tier 7 and planned to get rid of it as soon as I unlocked the Baltimore from the New Orleans. The Baltimore grind took so long that I heard about the upcoming US Cruiser line rework last year so I kept the Pensacola, good thing I did. The Pepsi suits tier 6 better in my opinion, I already know better than to try dog fight up front with it so I mostly use its brutal 203mm guns for support fire.

Yes its turrets are slow to rotate and reload is meh, but still a capable ship deleter.

[BOTO]
Members
1,176 posts
14,157 battles
5 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:

In game it's 45 seconds. So she's actually buffed more compared to historic data.

Historically it didn't matter because, for the most part, she was going to steam broadside to her opponents and bring all her guns to bear.  You cannot do that in this game, at least not for more than 30-60 seconds or so.

Members
3,059 posts
2,529 battles
1 minute ago, Wittman73 said:

Historically it didn't matter because, for the most part, she was going to steam broadside to her opponents and bring all her guns to bear.  You cannot do that in this game, at least not for more than 30-60 seconds or so.

The point is. They could had made her turret speed to TAKE FIFTY-ONE seconds for a full 180 degree. :cap_book:

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,278 battles
15 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:

lol makes you wonder where they hand cranking those turrets.

[RBMK]
Members
251 posts
19,105 battles

image.thumb.png.d75b0d0c310b5a9ce8b773d72911ea28.png

Need buff :cap_hmm:

I recommend taking a basic statistics course to understand why server averages mean absolutely nothing when it comes to ship balance.

Members
3,059 posts
2,529 battles

Pensacola is a spear, a spear whose haft could be easily shattered/chopped off. She has reach. She doesn't want to be too close, and not too far. She is about mobility and cover, about whacking someone when they're not looking at you.

• Cool 1

Members
436 posts
202 battles
10 minutes ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

image.thumb.png.d75b0d0c310b5a9ce8b773d72911ea28.png

Need buff :cap_hmm:

I recommend taking a basic statistics course to understand why server averages mean absolutely nothing when it comes to ship balance.

Even in statistics there are anomalies like yourself and what I'm doing in the Degli Abruzzi and Pensa on my other account. From what I can tell based on statistics is less than 10% of the player base know how to play Pensa.

[--K--]
[--K--]
Members
4,229 posts
19,246 battles

Yep it's not a go to ship

and as others have stated it does not up tier well like a lot of ships

[RBMK]
Members
251 posts
19,105 battles
1 minute ago, IronMike11C4O said:

Even in statistics there are anomalies like yourself and what I'm doing in the Degli Abruzzi and Pensa on my other account. From what I can tell based on statistics is less than 10% of the player base know how to play Pensa.

My point is that, the server average (or the overall performance) of a ship, is vastly dependent on its playerbase.

Therefore it is extremely inaccurate when determining a ship's balance because performance is vastly related to skill.

image.thumb.png.9a20e86ea696a101b7624fda5f4203dd.png

Take the ARP sisters, for example, here we see that ARP Myoko have a higher (3%) average win rate and a much higher (5k) average damage than ARP Haguro, despite being literally the same ship.

Why? Because different playerbase skill. The ships are exact clone of one another.

Members
3,059 posts
2,529 battles

Myoko has almost twice as many battles as Ashigara. I would surmise that is because Moyko is a recognizable name that is already in the Tech Tree.

Members
115 posts
7,604 battles

I have not played T-6 Pensi a lot but I really do think it is pretty strong.  Last week I dev striked an Omaha at 13km....Through the bow.  Three citadels (and multiple full pens) and he was completely bow on.  I don't think another T-6 cruiser would be able to do that.  I tend to agree with Dolphin.  I think new pensi's statistics are skewed by her playerbase.  On NA server players are more likely to start up a US line so US lines end up with less experienced players.  I would contend that all US ships, especially T-6 because that is where the skill wall hits, have playerbase-skewed statistics.  For example, New Mexico is an extremely strong ship but her stats are Meh...Farragut is arguably the strongest T-6 DD but, again, average stats.   My own stats are much higher in ship lines that I started later in my game "Career".  By stats alone La Glassy is my best T-6 cruiser...But it is definitely not, it is just that I started the french cruiser line latest.

Food for thought.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,929 posts
9,717 battles
26 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:

Myoko has almost twice as many battles as Ashigara. I would surmise that is because Moyko is a recognizable name that is already in the Tech Tree.

Also anyone can get Myoko, not everyone was able to get Ashigara when it was available. 

[NUWES]
Members
2,929 posts
9,717 battles
27 minutes ago, fishin79 said:

I think new pensi's statistics are skewed by her playerbase.  On NA server players are more likely to start up a US line so US lines end up with less experienced players.  I would contend that all US ships, especially T-6 because that is where the skill wall hits, have playerbase-skewed statistics.  For example, New Mexico is an extremely strong ship but her stats are Meh...Farragut is arguably the strongest T-6 DD but, again, average stats.   My own stats are much higher in ship lines that I started later in my game "Career".  By stats alone La Glassy is my best T-6 cruiser...But it is definitely not, it is just that I started the french cruiser line latest.

^This. IT was the same for me. I started US cruisers first when I had no idea what I was doing and my stats in them were awful. I couldn't wait to get rid of old T7 Pensacola. I've since spent years playing Indianapolis and it taught me how to play US cruisers properly. I do very well in them now and I can't imagine playing without USN AP and autobounce angles. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,673 posts
4,602 battles
3 hours ago, IronMike11C4O said:

I'm pretty sure they should have left the Pensacola the way it was at tier 7 with all it's Buffs and just moved it down to tier 6.

No, they nerfed it.  IIRC, it was a decrease in turret rotation and reload.  It also lost a gun upgrade.

1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

I wouldn't call Pensacola weak by any means.  More misunderstood than anything.

Pretty much this.