Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tzarevitch

Boise/Nueve Is Not Bad At All

12 comments in this topic

[NUWES]
Members
2,868 posts
9,387 battles

I have to say, I read @LittleWhiteMouse's review on Boise/Nueve as I always do. I bought the ship but I was a bit skeptical about how well a heal would offset a Helena having slow reload, gimpy range and slow speed. It actually works though. Don't get me wrong the range in particular is an enormous downside. I can't put into words how bad a 13.5k or so range is ... but that heal. I blew apart an enemy Mahan and blundered into the Atlanta, Helena, and Indianapolis supporting him, all by myself, at 9km. I escaped behind an island and basically reprinted almost half of a new ship … twice. I really never realized how much adding a heal turns an otherwise lackluster ship into an effective one. Boise has basically printed out a dreadnought achievement for me in almost every fight. (As a caveat, I am using my 19point Cleveland captain in her.) If you know what you are doing and get a non-horrible map, this ship is surprisingly powerful.

You can also use the short range to your benefit. I found that if the enemy BBs don't move up (which is often) you can close behind your own DDs, slaughter the enemy DDs, and then fall off detection because your gun range is too short for them to spot you on their own. 

• Cool 4

[-K-]
Members
7,907 posts
13,067 battles

Interesting......thanks for the feedback.

However, I'm still not a big fan of using a heal gimmick to balance and/or make premium ships "interesting".

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,118 posts

Having a heal in a tier spread where almost all of your foes have none while still having the largest broadside is godlike enough, but having a RN type heal means you can bully down everybody. :cap_rambo:

[STW]
Members
828 posts
6,959 battles

The range in particular is what keeps me from getting one of them.  I don't necessarily need another US CL trainer as I have the Atlanta (pretty much the same range, better detection), and aside from the option of the heal, the Helena just flat out seems like a better ship.

Edited by Deviathan

[-N-]
Members
2,147 posts
14,372 battles

Agreed, it is a fun ship. If you play it like an RN Cruiser you will do well with it.

Members
806 posts
5,710 battles

I've had a lot of success with 9dJ, but egad is she slow.  As long as you plan well in advance and have an escape behind hard cover, you'll do pretty well.  I'm about 1/3 through the mission to earn Boise and I'm looking forward to plopping my CL/Massachusetts commander into that one to see what sort of mayhem I can inspire.

-R

[edit] I must also comment on the commander portrait, which is a navalized version of Burt Reynolds.  Thank you very much, WG, that's one magnificent mustache. [/edit]

Edited by Mister_Rawr

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles
21 minutes ago, gcangel82 said:

If you play it like an RN Cruiser you will do well with it.

Belfast + 25%, but without smoke or radar.

[_-_]
Members
3,146 posts
8,215 battles

I'm having fun with it. Built a brawling Boisenstein with a 19-point captain and it's a real blast.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
717 posts
3,759 battles

The only real downside as I see it is the range, but you can offset that to a certain degree by picking up CE first and IFHE later on, it does actually make your job getting there easier than the opposite. Other than that, they are great ships. I love Helena to bits, and I love these ships as well. One of the best purchases I've done, also considering the 2fer.

[NUWES]
Members
2,868 posts
9,387 battles
38 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

The range in particular is what keeps me from getting one of them.  I don't necessarily need another US CL trainer as I have the Atlanta (pretty much the same range, better detection), and aside from the option of the heal, the Helena just flat out seems like a better ship.

Helena IS a better ship except for the heal. The heal really does make a bigger difference than I thought though. It is bigger than a standard heal lets you survive to the end of the fight to keep having an impact as long as you don't take too many BB citadels. The heal lets you take chances on exposing your side to other cruisers to get more guns on the target, which Helena can't safely do.

The other enormous thing I should point out is Boise is basically blind. You don't have a float plane so there is no way to extend your vision (not that it helps much with your poor range) unlike Helena. You simply can't see enemies coming well on your own. If your team isn't extending vision adequately you can just blunder into things in Boise and then you have to rely on your heal to get you out. Also it is very slow for a CL. 

Beta Testers
119 posts
3,137 battles

Not a ton of games yet, but at wow-numbers it stats as the #2 win rate and #2 damage ship for t7 cruisers behind the Flint on NA server.

So Not Bad at All :)

Members
51 posts
49 battles

It's the price that is keeping me away. That is a LOT of scratch for a below-average (if only slightly) American light cruiser. And I don't care if it's technically "two" CLs, because they're identical, and one sails for a nationality I don't care about.

Sign in to follow this