You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mustangman6579

So I guess i don't 100% understand torpedo mechanics.

33 comments in this topic

[DNGRZ]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,253 posts
5,775 battles

So, please tell me why, reasons OTHER than damage soak parts of a ship or torpedo protection belts, WHY a torpedo would NOT do full damage. 

IE, your 23k damage torp hits a full HP ship with no protection belt, and it only does 15k. 

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles
7 minutes ago, mustangman6579 said:

So, please tell me why, reasons OTHER than damage soak parts of a ship or torpedo protection belts, WHY a torpedo would NOT do full damage. 

IE, your 23k damage torp hits a full HP ship with no protection belt, and it only does 15k. 

What ship did you hit?

[WOLFB]
Members
3,314 posts
13,663 battles

Ship have their HP divided in several part of the ship. Hitting a torp in the bow / stern will inflict full damage on that specific part but after that, the ship will survive with low HP and the the part where the torp hit will basically have no HP, meaning you can take hundreds of torps on that part, it will not sink the ship (but it will still apply flooding / fire).

Usually, hitting a torps in the middle of a DD will one shot him, especially if it's an IJN torps.

• Cool 1

[DNGRZ]
1,253 posts
5,775 battles
56 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

What ship did you hit?

Gearing broadside. I was in a shima. 

[STURM]
Members
656 posts
5,333 battles
1 hour ago, mustangman6579 said:

Gearing broadside. I was in a shima. 

Well, since a Gearing only has 19.4K health, I would guess that you wiped out the the health of the section you hit and the ship "hull" health with one torp, leaving only the other three sections with anything to damage.

So, damage saturation basically.

[PVE]
Members
4,631 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, mustangman6579 said:

OTHER than damage soak parts of a ship

Sorry...but that is the answer...a ship doesn't need to have previous damage to still only have a certain amount of HP max in any 1 of it's parts.

[RKLES]
Members
11,761 posts
13,339 battles
43 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Damage saturation at work.

QBiqcir.gif

Yeah and when this level of saturation happens you really need a central hit on a ship or bow hit.

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

I once hit a YY with 4 Harekaze torps to kill it.  He was unspotted at the time and looked to be broadside last I saw him so I imagine your (and my) "broadside" was actually more like the gif above my post. 

[HINON]
Members
12,662 posts
20 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah and when this level of saturation happens you really need a central hit on a ship or bow hit.

Or you do overpens with AP.

[WOLF3]
Members
24,749 posts
21,823 battles

Back in December 2017, someone in their Chung Mu had a problem with their torps doing next to no damage against a practically full HP Zao.  It's a weird case and I'm not sure if this was ever fixed by WG.

Even better, the guy that was the target Zao uploaded on YouTube the video from his POV and you can clearly see the torpedo doing next to no damage against his high HP Zao.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WORX]
Members
9,032 posts
17,182 battles
5 hours ago, mustangman6579 said:

ok lets see,

1. If you look at the DMG torp stats for any DD/cruiser/BB. that MAX dmg is a lie because of
  • DMG saturation

Like many here have said, the DMG is split by compartments and if you hit the saturation lvl on any compartment of the ship with any ordnance. Then  you only get 5k dmg ? its a percentage in other words, you will not get the full DMG value. I hope this helps in achieve your understand and peace of mind . GL and HF

[TJRD]
Members
817 posts
4,886 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

Damage saturation at work.

QBiqcir.gif

That has got to be one of the most impressive feats i've ever seen pulled off in this game.

[HINON]
Members
12,662 posts
Just now, Sir_Orrin said:

That has got to be one of the most impressive feats i've ever seen pulled off in this game.

Yeah it's pretty nuts that the timing was perfect and the player recorded it.

Members
1,776 posts
6,729 battles
34 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Back in December 2017, someone in their Chung Mu had a problem with their torps doing next to no damage against a practically full HP Zao.  It's a weird case and I'm not sure if this was ever fixed by WG.

Even better, the guy that was the target Zao uploaded on YouTube the video from his POV and you can clearly see the torpedo doing next to no damage against his high HP Zao.

Did it ever get solved? The thread suddenly stops. Did the support team kidnapp those people? :P

[DNGRZ]
1,253 posts
5,775 battles
3 hours ago, Baskerville77 said:

Well, since a Gearing only has 19.4K health, I would guess that you wiped out the the health of the section you hit and the ship "hull" health with one torp, leaving only the other three sections with anything to damage.

So, damage saturation basically.

I would like to believe that, but yesterday the exact opposite happened to me. I was in my shima, full hp, and couldn't avoid another Shima's torps and died in 1 hit. 

So why would one DD only take a 15k hit, while another dies...to the very same torpedoes 

[HINON]
Members
12,662 posts
10 minutes ago, mustangman6579 said:

I would like to believe that, but yesterday the exact opposite happened to me. I was in my shima, full hp, and couldn't avoid another Shima's torps and died in 1 hit. 

So why would one DD only take a 15k hit, while another dies...to the very same torpedoes 

It would have hit the middle of the ship which cannot be damage saturated.

Members
335 posts
6,385 battles

Here is a damage saturation vid I made a while ago

https://youtu.be/tEi39c6xbY8

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tEi39c6xbY8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

***edit*** I don't know how to embed a video o_O

Edited by LCPL4ever

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles

Shoot more torpedoes. If one does not work, shoot another one.

[THREE]
Members
2,063 posts
10,337 battles

I think the OP is referring to the TDS rating, which reduces torpedo damage, separate from damage saturation.

shot-18.07.30_12.01.05-0540.jpg

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,990 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

ok lets see,

1. If you look at the DMG torp stats for any DD/cruiser/BB. that MAX dmg is a lie because of
  • DMG saturation

Like many here have said, the DMG is split by compartments and if you hit the saturation lvl on any compartment of the ship with any ordnance. Then  you only get 5k dmg ? its a percentage in other words, you will not get the full DMG value. I hope this helps in achieve your understand and peace of mind . GL and HF

I balk at the characterization of it as "a lie," even though I assume you are using that characterization more tongue-in-cheek.

The damage listed on ordinance is the value used to calculate damage, which varies depending on the circumstances of the hit, and damage saturation is only one of the circumstances.  Even the latter may not apply.  For instance, a shell that does a penetrating hit will do a maximum of 33% of the listed shell damage, less or even no damage depending on how much damage has been previously done to the section where it hit.  However, that same shell doing an over pen to that same section will always do 10% of the listed shell damage regardless of the damage saturation state of that section.  If the shell, instead, penetrates the Citadel, it will do 100% of the shell's listed damage, again, regardless of the damage saturation state of the section where the citadel is located.  If the damage is to a magazine and that damage causes the magazine to detonate, it will completely destroy the ship regardless of how much damage has been done to the section or the ship as a whole, so it can do way more damage than the shell's listed damage.  Torpedoes have some special rules, such as doing reduced damage to the bow or stern and reduced damage due to torpedo protection belts.

That value is a baseline for doing damage calculations.  It has never been portrayed as an expected damage value, so "lie" is not really a good word, even if done tongue-in-cheek.

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,990 battles
3 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

It would have hit the middle of the ship which cannot be damage saturated.

There are four sections of the ship.  Each section has its own hit point pool.  Each section can reach damage thresholds which will reduce damage taken to that section, up to and including zero damage if the section is fully damage saturated.  The middle of the ship is not exempt from this.