You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ArnoldSchoenberg

Fletcher vs New Gearing?

8 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts

I much prefer the Gearing because I like to gunfight and it has batter guns and can be tanker with the commander skill.  I was in a gunfight today with a Benson; it wasn't even funny how my Gearing tore it apart.

I like the longer-range torpedoes for the Gearing. The shorter-range torpedoes load faster and hit harder but in the day of the radar meta you only have under a 1 km window between being in radar range and torp range. The Fletcher turns faster and is more nimble, however so you can dodge torpedoes and maneuver islands better. Occasionally, it will even be top tier and you will get to bash tier VII BBs. Most of the time., however, your Fletcher will be facing tier 10 ships.

The Fletcher isn't a bad ship in tier X matches; it's just that the Gearing is better.

Edited by Snargfargle

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
806 posts
7,007 battles

I mean if you want to use the 10.5 km torpedoes, just play the Fletcher. I still use the 16.5 km torpedoes on the Gearing since they can be launched safely outside of radar range, and you can sometimes hit unexpected targets due to their extreme range.

If you're really savvy, you can blind-fire the long range torpedoes and still score some hits, i.e. on Trap, shooting torpedoes towards the A cap from the center of B cap to try and catch some hits on BBs.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
12 minutes ago, Cruiser_Chicago said:

I mean if you want to use the 10.5 km torpedoes, just play the Fletcher. I still use the 16.5 km torpedoes on the Gearing since they can be launched safely outside of radar range, and you can sometimes hit unexpected targets due to their extreme range.

If you're really savvy, you can blind-fire the long range torpedoes and still score some hits, i.e. on Trap, shooting torpedoes towards the A cap from the center of B cap to try and catch some hits on BBs.

About a quarter of my torp hits are from blind fires. The main problem is making sure no allies are going to run into them. 16.5 kn torps are a real mess during cyclones.

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,985 posts
11,042 battles

the ship thats going to be pretty good is going to be probably be the USN sumner class, the YY is harder to hit then the gearing is.

[WOLF5]
Members
848 posts
31,308 battles

It's kind of a push. The gearing gives you 2000ish more health and gunpower but you give up 0.2km concealment, .5 kts in speed, 0.3s rudder shift and 80m turning.  Fletch gives you better firepower kiting away whereas the Gearing does better nose on. I prefer the Fletch early in the match and the Gearing for cleanup. 

Members
1,703 posts
10,535 battles

I still prefer fletcher.  The gearing just eats way too many BB AP shells for full pens to make me ever want to buy it.  maybe when the BB AP fix thing happens and maybe if the gearing gets better turning, i will consider it.(i dont play competitive so i dont need it for that)  I don't think the ship is that big of an improvement over the fletch to be worth 20 mil credits.