You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crzyhawk

Boise: The road to Nueve de Julio

21 comments in this topic

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

As you're no doubt aware, if you buy one you can get the other.  I picked up the Boise Friday morning before I went to work.  This weekend, I got to grinding, and just finished earning the 300k exp needed for to get the Julio.  I dumped flags on the grind and run premium account, but used stock camo.  Rather than use my higher level Cleveland captain with 17 points, I figured I'd grind the captain I have assigned to the Dallas.  Ironically, it's the Azure Lane Cleveland captain.  For the record, NdJ comes with a 6 point captain.  I'm not sure if that is documented anywhere, but there you have it.

Since I started off with 10 points, I had to choose between CE and IFHE.  I went CE.  Contrary to what some folks will tell you, the guns work just fine without IFHE.  You will not have a horrible experience without it.  I ground it up to 13 points, then free exp'd my way to 14 to pick up IFHE (I never said it was bad, I said it is not mandatory).  She's now up to 16 points, so this grind will level your captains quickly with skill and a little luck.

The final tally was 45 games played with a 58% WR to unlock the Julio.  She averaged 51k damage and 1.2 ships destroyed per game getting there.

I think LWM nailed the review labeling it as a meh boat.  She's solid and workman like.  Her range is a hassle and she handles like a '74 Cadillac.  She's not forgiving of citadels at all.  I kite with her a lot, and regularly take cits through the stern.  I'd take cits through the quarter.  She's slow.  If a DD decides he wants you spotted, you will be spotted and you can do nothing about it.  Other cruisers can dictate the range against you and hit you from outside your range.  That said, the zombie heal is amazing.  If you make a mistake and can break contact, you can heal up and get right back in the fight.  She can take more punishment than any cruiser has a right to.  She doesn't like being uptiered at all.  She is very dangerous when top tier though.

All in all, I liked this quest.  45 games in the same ship in 2 days is a bit much, but I didn't HAVE to grind it out so quickly.  I hope everyone else grinding the ship gets it knocked out as painlessly as I did.

• Cool 6

Members
2,255 posts

I already got my clone in 25 games. Gotta love dragon flags and XP mission. Reason why I keep my dragon flags is for things like this.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles
12 minutes ago, missile742 said:

Lol those stats and he calls it a mehbote

It can be very frustrating to play sometimes.  The potential is there, but sometimes she fights you trying to get it out.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles
13 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

It can be very frustrating to play sometimes.  The potential is there, but sometimes she fights you trying to get it out.

i like my ships that way,as long they know who is the boss after i fight her in to submission.

[BNKR]
Members
1,552 posts
2,032 battles

I'm having a good time with her. I'm running a full complement of xp and free xp signals, along with sci-fi camo. Combined with the double xp missions, you can really pile on the experience. She's quite good at smashing destroyers who wander in too close, but yeah, that citadel.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,528 posts
18,794 battles

I'm 6 for 10. 

1st 5 games averaged 86k.

Highest damage so far 122k.

Pt,AR,DE & IFHE...

On the Julio....

I got tons of captains to throw in Boise, but none for Julio....

Members
178 posts
3,560 battles

Wow, grats op. I bought the reversal pkg and played a handful of matches, pve mind you, but I'm sitting at about 2% complete lol. It's going to take a minute 

Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles

Here I was, thinking I'd done good getting 200K towards the Boise already... :cap_fainting:

I started Nueve with IFHE. It did well, but I think CE made a bigger difference. I only had to play about 100K worth of games without CE, used accumulated XP for the rest of it. I really like having AR as the 2 pt skill, though I'll be putting Last Stand on when I get that extra point, about 1/2 way to the 16th point now. You can make the argument for Expert Loader, but I have a tendency to ripple fire my guns, and with 5 turrets, I'm rarely in a spot where EL would activate. That might be one of the few spots where there is a difference between Boise and NdJ. If I had access to the enhanced Expert Loader available to the special USN captains, I might take it and make it a point to fire full salvos.

I agree with LWM and crzyhawk in calling it a meh-bote overall. The heal is very nice, but you give up a lot to get it, and I seem to need at least one charge to deal with problems directly caused by the short range and barge like manouvering. The range is a bit of a mixed bag, though. On one hand, if it's in range, it's in EFFECTIVE range, there is no question about being able to get hits, even with USN floaty shells, and the short range means a small gun bloom, so it's easier to stay stealthy. It only really sucks when you pair it with the 30 knot speed. Some BB's can catch you, flat out, and the speed bleed is bad enough, anything that isn't a USN Standard will catch you if you are dodging rounds...

Find an island, or team up with a friendly smoke-bote, and the 15 guns become a huge factor in what the red team can do in your circle of influence.

Even T9 BB's don't like getting shot in the head 15 times every 10 seconds, and they are big enough you can actually get all 15 shots to land.

Overall, I'm glad I bought her, and frankly, I was holding my nose while I clicked the "BUY" button, I bought her more to support the inclusion of South American boats than out of any real faith in the boat itself.

Matt

• Cool 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,382 posts

having until the end of Dec this year, I will probably do it in tier VII operations.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

I took the Julio out for her first game.  I ended up getting caught out in the open and focused by a Boise, NdJ, and Helena.  45 152mm guns makes quick work of a Julio lol.

• Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Members
221 posts
18,267 battles

My best game (tier 9 battle) and my score until now, without prem account. Its a solid ship, no IFHE yet. 100k xp away from Boise.

shot-18.07.29_19.44.09-0481.jpg

shot-18.07.29_21.54.46-0286.jpg

Edited by Mala_suerte71
  • Cool 1

[ANKER]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,105 posts
4,857 battles

Took me 24 battles to get my NdJ (2k avg exp) about 12 hrs ago. 67% wr and 84k avg dmg. This ship is extremely powerful if played smart, but equally as punishing if played poorly (had a few bad games which proved this).

Ended it on a high note though with a 20k exp, kraken, high caliber, confederate and first blood all in 1 game :D

Had a 19pt cap so was able to get plenty of elite exp to have a decent PanAm cap.

• Cool 1

[ANIME]
Beta Testers
129 posts
4,139 battles

I started with Nueve de Julio and 25 battles later had Boise. 60% victory, 69600 average damage, 1.84 ships destroyed per battle, and a 4.6 destruction ratio.

I grabbed IFHE first, and then AFT. I spec my american cruisers for anti-air duty, and have had no problems not having CE.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles
1 hour ago, Mala_suerte71 said:

My best game (tier 9 battle) and my score until now, without prem account. Its a solid ship, no IFHE yet. 100k xp away from Boise.

shot-18.07.29_19.44.09-0481.jpg

Nope. That was a tier 7 game.

• Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Members
221 posts
18,267 battles
52 minutes ago, grumpymunky said:

Nope. That was a tier 7 game.

Yep, you rigth, I find the replay. My mistake, only sunk 2 in the tier 9 battle. Almost same dmg. Sorry.

[WHIT]
Beta Testers
344 posts
20,528 battles

Is there a particular reason to rush? Or you just don't have patience?

I did over 100K but was not going to rush it, plenty of time after vacation.

Members
260 posts
5,782 battles

I got the Boise as well & would have to agree with your assessment. I've only done 9 sorties in it so far. 
I try not to kite with it preferring to go dark & reposition, shes got a big booty that just begs to get citadeled in it ( I got deleted through the stern twice before I started trying to protect my big back yard.). I would say she is a menbote & my stats in it are very meh (77% WR, 36k damage & 1 KD) but I did have 2 "good" matches around 100k. I intend to grind to get the other ship as well so we will see how I can do. 

[ARGSY]
Members
17,440 posts
12,103 battles
36 minutes ago, bob_ninja said:

Is there a particular reason to rush? Or you just don't have patience?

There is the impetuous "I want it now!" cry of the spoiled child who wants stuff handed to them, and then there is the "I will have this now!" of the determined person who puts in the effort and goes and gets it. The latter is to be applauded, even if I'm somewhat sick with jealousy that I have neither the game expertise nor the leisure time nor the flags to pull this sort of performance off myself (in any context). :Smile_teethhappy: