You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ShebasOphir

Can someone explain the mechanics on this?

24 comments in this topic

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

If you ram a ship it has the capability of causing flooding.  Simple as that.  Not to mention you have a higher hit point pool than that poor little dd you rammed.

Edited by torpsRus

[WOLFG]
Members
8,274 posts
6,515 battles

His torpedoes did not arm at that range.  As torpsRus said, it was the ram that caused flooding.

[D-PN]
[D-PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,535 battles

A CV is the only ship that can hit itself with its own torps.

Members
3,009 posts
564 battles

you didn't kill him with his torps you just killed him....his torps launched but did not arm, even if there was no island there they would have just not done anything to either of you....

looked like a ram with his low HP not killing you, (NNJA'D) or just secondaries and guns finished him off... you were tearing him to pieces with sec as it was...

Edited by neptunes_wrath

Members
3,009 posts
564 battles
Just now, CAPTMUDDXX said:

A CV is the only ship that can hit itself with its own torps.

IDK 

the Khab is awfully fast...

[NSC]
Members
205 posts
9,396 battles
2 minutes ago, ShebasOphir said:

I didn't ram him, if you look I destroyed him with torps

LOL

No...you didn't.  There are no torps symbols shown.  You destroyed him because the side of your ship hit his and he received flooding damage.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
4 minutes ago, ShebasOphir said:

I didn't ram him, if you look I destroyed him with torps

LOL

Nope, you made contact and that is a ram as far as the game is concerned.

• Cool 1

[D-PN]
[D-PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,535 battles

@ShebasOphir Your scraping along his side did the damage! His torps would not arm in that short distance.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
24,791 posts
21,848 battles
19 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

IDK 

the Khab is awfully fast...

There's old threads about RU DDs torpedoing themselves.  When I grinded down the line when it was new, Udaloi sails so fast, that when she turns to drop torps her tail somehow hits her own launched torpedoes and gets hit.  Others had this issue also.

Here's one from the EU forums complete with screenshots.

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/52567-torpedo-myself-in-a-dd-realy/

I don't know if this was ever taken cared off because my playtime with RU DDs has atrophied severely.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

You always remember the first time you used the Chester's emergency torpedo.

The Chester actually had torpedoes like many ships of the era. They are not deck mounted so WG does not include them and rightfully so as they would require slowing to almost stopped to use.

[WORX]
Members
9,064 posts
17,223 battles

Next time you should;ve rammed him instead of kissing his port side :P , but as everyone here has stated a bush on the sides is a ram which is equivalent to a torp hit which does flooding . The RAM icon after the kill confirms what type of kill it was. IF I can give you any advice, IF your that close to a DD just RAM him. IF you can get really close to him his torps will not have a chance to arm. well done regardless/ 

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
8,274 posts
6,515 battles
12 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The Chester actually had torpedoes like many ships of the era. They are not deck mounted so WG does not include them and rightfully so as they would require slowing to almost stopped to use.

Where were they located? 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Where were they located? 

The wiki doesn't say but most likely they were underwater with one on each side.

[REVY]
Members
1,962 posts
11,135 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The wiki doesn't say but most likely they were underwater with one on each side.

a search of another website says two 21 inch underwater broadside torpedo tubes, so I agree, one on each side.

Additionally, it lists two 21 inch deck mounted torpedo tubes from 1917-1918.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
5 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

a search of another website says two 21 inch underwater broadside torpedo tubes, so I agree, one on each side.

Additionally, it lists two 21 inch deck mounted torpedo tubes from 1917-1918.

I have the feeling they did not put them in because no other cruiser in tier 2 has torpedoes.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,517 posts
12,165 battles
8 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I have the feeling they did not put them in because no other cruiser in tier 2 has torpedoes.

Even Katori required uptiering to 3 when they gave her her torpedoes back; she would otherwise be better at 2, vs. the Albany.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Even Katori required uptiering to 3 when they gave her her torpedoes back; she would otherwise be better at 2, vs. the Albany.

Those old underwater torpedoes were really only useful in a couple of unique situations. The first is surprise attack which the Emden did during the Attack on Penang where they sunk a Russian cruiser. The second was as  a coup de grace. Otherwise because of the extremely low maximum speed they could be used at they were more of a hindrance than a help. The extremely short ranges that those old torpedoes had was another factor.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,517 posts
12,165 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

The extremely short ranges that those old torpedoes had was another factor.

It would be inexcusable in-game, but IRL ranges when these ships were designed are suicidally short by WOWS standards.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It would be inexcusable in-game, but IRL ranges when these ships were designed are suicidally short by WOWS standards.

Their range was just barely outside of suicidal even when those ships were built. Like I said, surprise attack like the Emden sailing into Penang harbor raising the Imperial flag and raising holy hell. That attack actually had the coup de grace use also as the Emden had turned around and they fired a second torpedo that sank the Zhemchug.