You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pyantoryng

History lesson: An event with even more broken balance

19 comments in this topic

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,859 posts
4,861 battles

This fuss over Go Navy! and Sharks winning for three days straight and poised for fourth victory leave my unable to help but lay down something (from the leftovers I find in my imgur) that might be of relevance:

In the fourth quarter of 2016 WoWP had a long event called "Japanese Threat" - basically Axis versus Allies confrontation in the timespan of two hours each day, but the time problem is not applicable here. Players get to pick their side minutes before the confrontation begins and the system will automatically funnel the latecomers into the disadvantaged teams if they are late for the selectiontime. The relevant problem is that the selection of aircrafts are so lopsided that it is pretty much a guaranteed Allies win every time in a vacuum.

How the confrontation works is that the teams will start with a certain amount of points, and the points that will go to deduct that of the opposing side come from destroying things in battles. Victory is by either having more points remaining than the opposition or running the opposing side's points to 0. Individual players gain loot boxes at the end of confrontation from kills and achievements in battles, and players on the winning side will get double the number of the boxes they managed to get during the confrontation.

Spoiler

YVjiWN5.jpg

The balance of vehicles is not important for this discussion, but it was lopsided enough that winning by zero points was a real possibility:

Spoiler

gYdOXrP.jpg

The balancing factor of this event is that the defeated side will get more initial points according to the margin of defeat, which continues to add up until the losing side can no longer be overpowered. Of course being the first time they did this kind of thing, it did not work at the beginning so it was Allies' winning streak for a week or so, although the balance system eventually worked, and turns out like this:

Spoiler

E5armuN.jpg

...and this is when it overpowers the winning side, eventually giving the losing side a win

Spoiler

ykGYhez.jpg

The NA WoWP forum has a thread recording the results of most of the event on that cluster if you're interested: http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/46769-a-record-of-the-japanese-threat-event-day-by-day/

Planes held two more events of this nature: Thor Hammer (later 1.9), and Skies of Albion (early 2018, post-2.0). With all the pressing issues fixed there were no complaints (except for the format which has time constraint that prevent certain player demographics from even participating) as confrontation went from one side to another. Jumping teams no longer guarantee victory as often the increased initial points were enough to outlast the overpowering opposition, forecasting the result becomes harder to do along with it.

What does any of this have to do with the ongoing Go Navy! event?

The flat 50% points bonus to contributions is not enough considering how much Sharks is outpacing the Eagles at the time and I doubt that it will make the events look good...Balancing by maxed out loyalty and counting on players to switch sides to gain max loyalty on both sides is an iffy way of balancing the event, so to speak.

It is not about playing better as it is tantamount to telling people to bang their heads against a brick wall, to fight for futility itself.

With all the time in the day (thus significantly less alienation of player-base) and  little to none imbalance on vehicle choices, a semblance of balance will go a long way in making the event not be reviled in the future should the format be used again, make jumping sides not guaranteed to be winning?

Then again...it's just over one box a day. But I doubt that it would look good in the aftermath if things stay the current course.

I do believe there are more things to be addressed, but for the purpose of this history lesson I limit it to the balancing of the teams themselves for this occasion.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,087 posts
17,156 battles

People complained that they were forced onto a certain side when the other side had too many players, during the fire vs water event a while back. Now there is no such forced auto balancing, and it leads to a far less close event, and people complain about that.

It's almost like people just like complaining, no matter what WG does.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

People complained that they were forced onto a certain side when the other side had too many players, during the fire vs water event a while back. Now there is no such forced auto balancing, and it leads to a far less close event, and people complain about that.

The buff to the losing side is obviously not large enough, the Eagles are already behind by 800k and it is only 3:00 PM Central time. What is it going to be in another eight or nine hours? What pyantoryng is talking about is making use of ideas that have already been proven to work in WoWP in similar events. The devs do not need to recreate the wheel.

[P-V-E]
Members
1,382 posts

so true Lert, WG can do no right, as there will always be people moaning one way or another.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
14 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The buff to the losing side is obviously not large enough, the Eagles are already behind by 800k and it is only 3:00 PM Central time. What is it going to be in another eight or nine hours? What pyantoryng is talking about is making use of ideas that have already been proven to work in WoWP in similar events. The devs do not need to recreate the wheel.

Some way to balance this Go Navy thing better is needed IMO. I think most share this opinion....I think. 

[YAN]
Members
1,700 posts
8,085 battles
33 minutes ago, Lert said:

Oh no. Hes onto us!

[115TH]
Members
432 posts
2,682 battles
32 minutes ago, Lert said:

Wow someone has figured out the current state of human nature. Along with my opinion is the only one that matters all other opinions are irrelevent. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,087 posts
17,156 battles
2 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

Wow someone has figured out the current state of human nature. Along with my opinion is the only one that matters all other opinions are irrelevent. 

^ Prime example.

• Cool 1

[D-PN]
[D-PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,535 battles

@pyantoryng This event is fine! Come back and complain when you actually have something to complain about!

Members
6,014 posts
6,965 battles
46 minutes ago, Lert said:

Except, Fire and Water wasn't really a close event on NA either. Fire won, 4 out of the 5 weeks? With only week 3 and 4 not being a complete landslide in Fire's favor, I believe.

But that aside, you're absolutely right. People will complain for the sake of complaining. Personally, I like how this event was handled. Especially since it doesn't really matter if your 'choosen' team wins or loses. At most you lose out on a couple of containers, but I think the loyalty rewards make up for that small loss if you stick with your team.

[115TH]
Members
432 posts
2,682 battles
17 minutes ago, Lert said:

^ Prime example.

Sorry I forgot to use my semi sarcastic quotes lol But seriously too many complain if something isn't perfect or goes thier way all the time. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
2 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@pyantoryng This event is fine! Come back and complain when you actually have something to complain about!

Let me guess, you are on the Sharks side?

[D-PN]
[D-PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,535 battles

@BrushWolf No I am Eagle all the way and not complaining. However the OP and a few others are just complaining over nothing and bringing up issues they had with the other games events has absolutely no bearing on this event. It appears to me that more people went Shark than Eagle thus racking up more points. WG has no control over that and even if they did they shouldn't do anything.

Is there room for improvement ? Sure! Anyone having a suggestion for such should message it to WG Staff or Developers.

Complaining here over diddly squat means nothing! 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
6 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@BrushWolf No I am Eagle all the way and not complaining. However the OP and a few others are just complaining over nothing and bringing up issues they had with the other games events has absolutely no bearing on this event. It appears to me that more people went Shark than Eagle thus racking up more points. WG has no control over that and even if they did they shouldn't do anything.

Is there room for improvement ? Sure! Anyone having a suggestion for such should message it to WG Staff or Developers.

Complaining here over diddly squat means nothing! 

There is a very real problem if one team never has a real chance because of a huge player imbalance and pyantoryng pointed out what the WoWP devs did in a similar situation. They work for the same company so they should talk to them. I went have have stayed Eagles myself because I like that camo better.

[D-PN]
[D-PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,535 battles

@BrushWolf If that's the case then he needs to message his idea to WG Staff and Developers their names are right there on the forum. Complaining or pleading here does nothing! I cant fix it neither can he or you and having WG force players to one team or the other is not a fix either. No one fixed it so Germany would have an equal or greater fleet than England in 1939 nor did anyone fix it so the USA couldn't out produce the AXIS and all our allies from before WW 2s start.

WG gave us a rather nice event and the fact that more players went with one team so heavily is not something that need be intervened against. Ones choice of team is the one thing we each have control of and it should no be infringed upon.

After all Every Game Has A Loser! So if Eagles lose over all due to Sharks higher player numbers So Be It. After all this is a GAME!

@pyantoryng message your idea to WG Staff and Developers!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
20 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@BrushWolf If that's the case then he needs to message his idea to WG Staff and Developers their names are right there on the forum. Complaining or pleading here does nothing! I cant fix it neither can he or you and having WG force players to one team or the other is not a fix either. No one fixed it so Germany would have an equal or greater fleet than England in 1939 nor did anyone fix it so the USA couldn't out produce the AXIS and all our allies from before WW 2s start.

WG gave us a rather nice event and the fact that more players went with one team so heavily is not something that need be intervened against. Ones choice of team is the one thing we each have control of and it should no be infringed upon.

After all Every Game Has A Loser! So if Eagles lose over all due to Sharks higher player numbers So Be It. After all this is a GAME!

@pyantoryng message your idea to WG Staff and Developers!

Yes there are winners and losers but there are so many more people playing Sharks that there is no way in hell that Eagles will get a win unless they change something. The Eagles are behind by 1.7 million right now.

[D-PN]
[D-PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,535 battles

@BrushWolf If it bothers you or others so much then please message WG Staff and Developers and Let them know what you think about this and suggest a fix.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@BrushWolf If it bothers you or others so much then please message WG Staff and Developers and Let them know what you think about this and suggest a fix.

We shouldn't have to say anything. The devs should be watching  and it should be obvious that something is very wrong.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
717 posts
3,759 battles

First of all the OP is not complaining, he is just giving a comparable view on the WoWs event with a WoWp event that happened a while ago and it fits like a glove as same thing happened there as well. It's feedback.

I swear to God that these days people always view any message or feedback as criticism, whining, trolling, whathaveya by default. You can't even open your mouth about something before someone points at you and ask you to eff-off because of it. As a society if we continue to do that, we will just (continue to) devolve in to a place of distrust and dislike of anything other than a extremely minute set of correct ways to apply ourselves and our rhetoric, or even worse a place where words just have absolutely no meaning any more and we just go medieval on each other as we feel threatened by anything that is said as we no longer see the nuances. For someone that grew up in the 60's/70's it's like the whole world has gone off its rails. We need to be able to differentiate between different forms of expression or we as a species will just end up back were we started, savages without language to bind us together.

pyantoryng, at the top, has valid feedback if I ever saw it. This is something WG WoWs should consider and have a chat with their colleagues over at WG WoWp if that is possible.

There's been other feedback that players will never be satisfied no matter what WG does and it may be one reason we got this kind of event in a WG game yet again. Remember when they had the script that ended event prematurely, twice iirc, there was understandable uproar because we knew the event in all likelihood was 'fake' and propped up by scripts to make it feel more exciting. Thing is, perhaps for all we know WG though 'ok, let them have it their way and we go real with it' quite knowingly what the results was going to be. Back in the day only a certain kind of people would play the system continuously or always go for path of least resistance, not that others did not want to but society had unspoken rules in places that kept people in check so they did not do it. Online, as soon as it went commercial, there were no more rules and you could not be held accountable by society for what shortcuts and otherwise you took so we've ended up here were the only thing that matters to people is 'getting their free stuff' no matter what and over people's virtual db's if needed be and that is when you end up with events like these as who gives a flying eff about loyalty to a team and all that ancient "crap" when you can just get more free stuff by playing one team first and then playing the other team later on when your 'loyalty'-meter is full making the spirit of the event just null and void. There are no teams, it's just a bunch of people wanting free stuff and they'll go to any lengths to get it.

So, WG, for future events if you like them emulate the team spirit of old then perhaps you could or should re-instate scripted events to make it look like there's a close race with no option of switching teams. If you hadn't been caught doing so it actually worked a lot better as a mechanic goes, people felt satisfied and felt they were on a 'team'.

Edited by Krautjaeger