Sign in to follow this  
landedkiller

Why hasn’t Wargaming rebalanced secondaries on British Battleships?

15 comments in this topic

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
4,578 battles

After having played through all the lines of battleships except At Tier 9 with Lion I find the secondaries to be useless on the Briton battleships when they are at least usable on American Battleships. I have this thought why not lower the fire chance of the British Battleships in exchange for better reload and range on their secondaries? I find it to be a very poor design choice to not have the secondaries at least be usable in warding off DD’s. Tried to use a manual secondary Lion and that failed so now I have to wait till I get the xp or doubloons to reskill it to concealment expert or Fire prevention. Even an equipment doing this would be nice. It wouldn’t be the end of the world to turn the British Battleships into more of a mid range support role would it? They need a good 7.5 to 8km on those secondaries and a faster reload to 4 or 5 seconds. @RadarX this might be a good idea to pass along to change British Battleships into more of a midrange support role.

[HELLS]
Members
2,498 posts
24,838 battles

What we really need is an RN Premium BB with good secondaries at T8, like Massachusetts. Vanguard with improved 15-inchers with tighter sigma and a range buff over Monarch's, and decent secondaries sounds nice....

• Cool 1

Members
874 posts
14,046 battles

Sure. Strap 20 secondaries on each side of every BB.

Let the shoot out to 15km.

Let's bury the last few die hard DD players.

Edited by Prothall

Members
3,009 posts
564 battles

dont play them......I would say more but it would be against forum rules....

every BB players WANTS more.....when will enough be enough..... if you are getting THAT CLOSE  TO DDs in a BB you need to think about why that happened... not the secondary range...you need more work (practice) in lower tiers, you moved up WAY too fast and KDR explains the reason you need secondaries more than most BB players...ESPECIALLY IN HE SPAMMING BRITISH ONES...

to many easy button wanters here...

• Cool 1

Members
2,637 posts
7,898 battles
1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

After having played through all the lines of battleships except At Tier 9 with Lion I find the secondaries to be useless on the Briton battleships when they are at least usable on American Battleships. I have this thought why not lower the fire chance of the British Battleships in exchange for better reload and range on their secondaries? I find it to be a very poor design choice to not have the secondaries at least be usable in warding off DD’s. Tried to use a manual secondary Lion and that failed so now I have to wait till I get the xp or doubloons to reskill it to concealment expert or Fire prevention. Even an equipment doing this would be nice. It wouldn’t be the end of the world to turn the British Battleships into more of a mid range support role would it? They need a good 7.5 to 8km on those secondaries and a faster reload to 4 or 5 seconds. @RadarX this might be a good idea to pass along to change British Battleships into more of a midrange support role.

yeah, nah.... their Main Battery's HE power already shreds DDs unlucky enough to get hit by it. you don't need good secondaries.... you need to hang back and let cruisers or DDs screen for you.

Members
77 posts
2,949 battles

Personally, I wouldn't mind scaling back the crazy fire chance for better secondaries. I've never used HE anyway, and I don't care for spamming it, but i can't speak for others. In saying that, RN BBs just melt at the sight of HE spam from cruisers.

Warspite and prior in the line had decent secondaries.

The WW2 era BB's just don't have the secondary armament to be effective compared to German or Japanese BB's of the time. In the game we have the Lion class in it's 1942 config with 8x2 133mm, whereas her 1944 B3 hull had 12x2 120mm guns. As for what's more effective who knows.

I wish Hood had a A and B hull selection. Prior to her  1920 refit she had 12x140mm secondaries. Tier 7, you can get away with brawling unless it's against a Gneisenau/Scharn.

It is what it is, wargaming have an idea behind the way you should be playing them obviously with the stupid HE fire percentage.

[ASHIP]
[ASHIP]
Members
74 posts
16,702 battles

Wait can we go back to the guy who doesn't use HE in a British BB, ummmmmm why play this line if you aren't going to use it strength?

Members
77 posts
2,949 battles
3 hours ago, Treeodeth said:

Wait can we go back to the guy who doesn't use HE in a British BB, ummmmmm why play this line if you aren't going to use it strength?

AP is perfectly fine.

I just dislike using it tbh, it rewards cheap play. Fire HE, wait for damage control, fire HE again, wait for them to damage control, start another fire. The moment they point their guns at you, disappear into your cruiser concealment. It's brainless, and you get away with trash play. Someone on the enemy team can do 100% the correct thing, it amounts to nothing because one of your shells most definitely starts a fire.

I'm sure I'll get eaten alive for saying that, it's just my thoughts. Play as you like them.

• Cool 2

[ASHIP]
[ASHIP]
Members
74 posts
16,702 battles

Not using your HE would be like using the torpitz without torps, driving a shima without torps. The HE is that entire lines gimmick yes the AP is strong on a Conq and having HE loaded up when that DD pops up 13km out and you hit him with 4 HE rounds as opposed to 4 over pens makes a huge difference for your team. To completely ignore HE in a british BB just seems not very smart.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,254 posts
6,233 battles
21 hours ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

I'm sorry but what did this topic have to do with British HE? This was about their secondaries. I'd vote Yes for an improvement there.

We have here a topic about rebalancing British ships made at a time when the only thing more contentious than their HE spam is the mechanics of Radar and its inclusion in the game. Classic blunder.

Additionally, RN secondaries have never really been an issue one way or they other. They have good range and accurate guns, they're not really meant to be brawlers. Granted, they're not meant to cower in the back and spam shells from 20+ km like the stereotypical Conqueror, but their sweet spot is more mid-range combat. We already have two lines that can brawl: Germany and France. There's no reason for the British to be added to that list outside of a gimmick premium a-la Massachusetts.

On 8/1/2018 at 12:11 PM, VanillaPepsi said:

AP is perfectly fine.

I just dislike using it tbh, it rewards cheap play. Fire HE, wait for damage control, fire HE again, wait for them to damage control, start another fire. The moment they point their guns at you, disappear into your cruiser concealment. It's brainless, and you get away with trash play. Someone on the enemy team can do 100% the correct thing, it amounts to nothing because one of your shells most definitely starts a fire.

I'm sure I'll get eaten alive for saying that, it's just my thoughts. Play as you like them.

f7FdEdG.jpg

I do the same thing, preach it! Oh sure, I COULD burn people to death with my KGV or Nelson, but then I'd just be part of the problem. It's much more satisfying to land accurate penetrations at range with KGV or sink 3 citadel hits in from a single broadside of Nelson's beautiful 16" guns.

Members
77 posts
2,949 battles

Nelsons guns are pretty devastating. I'd say the same about Warspite, QE. I just hate doing all that fire damage, only to have them hit a heal and all your salvo's of HE just turned to nothing. If you want to delete ships asap, AP damage really hurts them. Anyway, enough HE talk.

Yes, we did get off topic lol.

I've been playing RN BB's mid range, they're quite strong at the 15km range. At times I've gone in to brawl out of curiosity, I've found I've actually done quite a lot of damage for a low amount of hits against BBs with their 134mm secondaries. They do seem to pen ok, it's a pity there's just not enough of them for a 6sec reload and the firing angles are not so good.  Even HMS Vanguard had the same secondary arrangement.

What's worse is you take a huge amount of damage from an actual secondary build German or French BB. I did 10k damage to a Monarch, not including the 8k fire in Tirpitz.  It's going to be tough to hold onto your advantage if your angled just from the sheer amount of deck pens you sustain. 

I share a captain between Warspite and the rest of the RN BB line, as far as I go with secondary builds is AFT after CE, the rest will go toward tanking. AFT is enough for Warspite at T6 to be the best brawler, and it helps your AA a little on the main line ships. I don't see sinking anymore points into it to be a benefit. Unless they cut down the reload speed of the 134mm, it'll never be worth it.

Edited by VanillaPepsi

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this