You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BUNNYHUGGERI

Can the Indianapolis be repaired?

24 comments in this topic

[HEG]
Members
52 posts
12,519 battles

Just like the title.  Even when I am hit by a dd there is nothing to repair.  Last game I took 4 separate hits from a BB...no cits...just solid whacks....nothing to repair.  I have been watching this and it is happening every game.  So...is this how it is with this cruiser?

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

Nope tier 7 ships usually do not get the repair party option unless its RN cruisers.  Those are the only exception in the game so far.

Edited by torpsRus

Beta Testers
537 posts
2,067 battles

...Cruisers don't have repair. Well, non british ones, anyway. And non-Argentine ones. And non-T9+ ones.

Okay, some cruisers have repair. But most don't.

[SALVO]
Members
24,191 posts
24,546 battles
10 minutes ago, Shatara422 said:

...Cruisers don't have repair. Well, non british ones, anyway. And non-Argentine ones. And non-T9+ ones.

Okay, some cruisers have repair. But most don't.

Honestly, I wish that all cruisers down to, say, tier 5 had Repair Parties.  As much as people bemoan the squishiness of cruisers, repair parties would seem to go a long way to helping them be at least a bit more survivable.  After all, consider how people are saying that the Grozovoi, the "other" tier 10 Russian DD, is much better after being given repair parties.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 2

[TOG]
Members
4,072 posts
21,962 battles
27 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Do your best to not get hit.

Or make sure you angle to make sure it bounces.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles
47 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Nope tier 7 ships usually do not get the repair party option unless its RN cruisers.  Those are the only exception in the game so far.

Except Boise and Nueve De Julio, which have a British type heal.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

Except Boise and Nueve De Julio, which have a heal.

Wasn't aware of that one.

Beta Testers
631 posts
5,967 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, I wish that all cruisers down to, say, tier 5 had Repair Parties.  As much as people bemoan the squishiness of cruisers, repair parties would seem to go a long way to helping them be at least a bit more survivable.  After all, consider how people are saying that the Grozovoi, the "other" tier 10 Russian DD, is much better after being given repair parties.

I don't think this would be a good idea honestly. Cruisers being squishy teaches you how to avoid incoming fire and use your hit points effectively. If you give people repair party at tier 5 they would start to use it as an excuse almost to rushin know that they could just heal some damage if they don't die. Cruisers are support ships primarily so there is no reason for them to need to heal, (exception being the few that have them, RN cruisers, and others). Using the Grozovoi as a comparison in this case is a bad one because dds with repair parties ( Kidd, and Grozovoi) are special cases but they eat damage and get focused much more than bbs or cruisers.

[RKLES]
Members
11,803 posts
13,398 battles
1 hour ago, BUNNYHUGGERI said:

Just like the title.  Even when I am hit by a dd there is nothing to repair.  Last game I took 4 separate hits from a BB...no cits...just solid whacks....nothing to repair.  I have been watching this and it is happening every game.  So...is this how it is with this cruiser?

Only low or mid tier cruisers that get Repair Party are Graf Spee and Royal Navy Cruisers. Prinz Eugen And Atago get Repair at tier 8, and most or all tier 9 and 10 cruisers get Repair Party.

Other than these you can’t heal damage, best you can do is try to dodge enemy fire and carry premium damage control as well as Captain skill to better prevent or halt damage being done. Also using catapult fighters and defensive AA against aircraft or using hydro to help pick up on torpedoes can help prevent damage as well.

Cruisers are able to have often good Concealment, some armor, good speed, relatively compact size on many of them, and high rate of fire. So not getting Repair on most of them does make sense. Especially considering  they can Torpedo or burn Battleships, blow Destroyers out of the water, shoot down aircraft, and fight other cruisers.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,511 posts
4,602 battles

I don't think y'all are getting the question. He's asking why, when he takes damage, is none of it repairable damage?

Partial answer: Some damage (such as from fire) is repairable; some is not (citadels?).

Watch the How It Works series, starting here:

Also reference the Game Mechanics sections of the Wiki

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles
46 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Wasn't aware of that one.

Only way I found out was beating the crap out of one and watching it's health climb back up when it ran back to it's big friends; ya know I really hate that!

[OO7]
Members
4,089 posts
9,474 battles
1 hour ago, torpsRus said:

Boise, the other version of Boise, and Graf Spee say Hello.

Edited by enderland07

[SALVO]
Members
24,191 posts
24,546 battles
35 minutes ago, Panic512 said:

I don't think this would be a good idea honestly. Cruisers being squishy teaches you how to avoid incoming fire and use your hit points effectively. If you give people repair party at tier 5 they would start to use it as an excuse almost to rushin know that they could just heal some damage if they don't die. Cruisers are support ships primarily so there is no reason for them to need to heal, (exception being the few that have them, RN cruisers, and others). Using the Grozovoi as a comparison in this case is a bad one because dds with repair parties ( Kidd, and Grozovoi) are special cases but they eat damage and get focused much more than bbs or cruisers.

I have to disagree.  Cruisers would be no less squishy with repair parties.  Repair parties wouldn't make them one bit less vulnerable to getting dev striked.  All that repair parties would do is give them a little more, for lack of a better term, "endurance" when it comes to having their HP slowly chipped away.

As for the DDs with repair parties, you missed the point, I think.  My point was that people consider the Groz to be a lot better after gaining the repair party, with the core of the point being that adding a repair party can change people's perception about a given ship.  Just like adding repair parties to all tier 5+ cruisers could be seen to be somewhat better, somewhat more durable over a long fight, even if they remained pretty damned squishy and vulnerable to the massive strike.

[SIDE]
Members
830 posts
5,059 battles

I honestly feel that every ship should get some form of repair party. 
Obviously not the standard repair party, but a significantly nerfed repair party. A one time Heal 5%-10% (or two times if you do premium) 
I can't imagine the crew of a ship to be like "Aw fiddlesticks, nothing we can do about a small bit of damage, let's give up" 
If Kidd and Khaba can get some repair parties, let's give the cruisers tiny repair parties. lol

Beta Testers
631 posts
5,967 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I have to disagree.  Cruisers would be no less squishy with repair parties.  Repair parties wouldn't make them one bit less vulnerable to getting dev striked.  All that repair parties would do is give them a little more, for lack of a better term, "endurance" when it comes to having their HP slowly chipped away.

As for the DDs with repair parties, you missed the point, I think.  My point was that people consider the Groz to be a lot better after gaining the repair party, with the core of the point being that adding a repair party can change people's perception about a given ship.  Just like adding repair parties to all tier 5+ cruisers could be seen to be somewhat better, somewhat more durable over a long fight, even if they remained pretty damned squishy and vulnerable to the massive strike.

I didn't miss the point, I understood what you are getting at. I get that cruisers would still be squishy even with a repair party, but part of how much HP is chipped at for a cruiser captain comes down to their skills as a captain and being able to position themselves successfully enough  to avoid damage.

[SALVO]
Members
24,191 posts
24,546 battles
11 minutes ago, Panic512 said:

I didn't miss the point, I understood what you are getting at. I get that cruisers would still be squishy even with a repair party, but part of how much HP is chipped at for a cruiser captain comes down to their skills as a captain and being able to position themselves successfully enough  to avoid damage.

I just think that making cruisers a little more durable in long battles would be a good thing.  For one thing, giving them repair parties and being able to use them rewards not getting yourself dev striked.  No matter how good one is, being chipped away is going to be a fact of life, unless perhaps you're in a tier 9 or 10 cruiser with nearly 20 km range where you have plenty of time to dodge if fighting at those extreme ranges.    But if you're fighting at closer to 10km than 20 km, you will be far less able to dodge shells, for no other reason than shell flight times are lower and you have much less time to dodge incoming shells (assuming that you're not fighting from behind islands and lobbing shells over said islands while unspotted).

[TIMT]
Alpha Tester
74 posts

In WW2 Cruisers would have a DD screen, but in this game they often push with or just behind the DDs and often get seen first do to their spotting size.

Members
4,410 posts
17,771 battles

It might be kinda hard to repair Indianapolis since she's under 18,000 feet of water and sorta broken up. :Smile_hiding:

[EBONR]
[EBONR]
Members
183 posts
17,461 battles
4 hours ago, Umikami said:

Except Boise and Nueve De Julio, which have a British type heal.

I believe the Abruzzi also has a heal Tier 7

[TOG]
Members
4,072 posts
21,962 battles
6 hours ago, Crucis said:

In which case, the battles would be prolonged affairs. It would be good for the player POV, but lousy for WG business model They want as much "churn" as possible.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles
4 hours ago, Solitary_Stalker said:

I believe the Abruzzi also has a heal Tier 7

Does it? I know nothing about that cruiser, so it certainly may.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,025 posts
7,903 battles
7 hours ago, Umikami said:

Does it? I know nothing about that cruiser, so it certainly may.

She does, though it doesn‘t change it that every shell that hits her is a citadel, and that she is a free Devastating Strike for the enemy :Smile_veryhappy: