Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Commander_Krill

Ryujo (and higher) question

5 comments in this topic

Members
27 posts
1,093 battles

I recently started playing Ryujo, mostly for operations since I don't have a captain to match the other 10+ point captains in randoms.

I'm looking for affirmation for Random play.  In Co-Op, I don't immediately go out and attack with my TBs and DBs.  I try to engage the AI fighters and let my ships wear down AA modules first.  Then I go for finishing off limping ships or ships that have taken a decent amount of fire in the hopes their AA umbrella doesn't kill me.  I also try to target lone DDs ahead of the pack early.

Is that a decent strategy or am I doing something wrong?  I blitzed through T5 because I wanted to get on with manual dropping and strafing but is my general thought process not bad for a beginner?  Or am I way off the mark?

Thanks.

Alpha Tester
230 posts
3,626 battles

targeting alone dds is the best especially at the start of the battle. But tier 6 will be rough due to being constantly up tiered. Just remember that scouting is one of the important roles of a cv more so in randoms than Co-Op

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,687 posts
10,551 battles
19 minutes ago, Commander_Krill said:

I recently started playing Ryujo, mostly for operations since I don't have a captain to match the other 10+ point captains in randoms.

I'm looking for affirmation for Random play.  In Co-Op, I don't immediately go out and attack with my TBs and DBs.  I try to engage the AI fighters and let my ships wear down AA modules first.  Then I go for finishing off limping ships or ships that have taken a decent amount of fire in the hopes their AA umbrella doesn't kill me.  I also try to target lone DDs ahead of the pack early.

Is that a decent strategy or am I doing something wrong?  I blitzed through T5 because I wanted to get on with manual dropping and strafing but is my general thought process not bad for a beginner?  Or am I way off the mark?

Thanks.

Not a bad start, there are a couple of things you can improve.

Use your TB's and DB's to bait the AI fighters over friendly cruisers before you engage them with your fighters if you can. After that, it's a simple matter of strafing strike aircraft to keep the rest of your team happy. Especially if it's 2 strike Ryujo's going at it.

Also, run the tier 6 operations, better XP and credits, plus more chances to practice nearly everything a CV may need to do in a game (scouting, spotting, spotting torps, air defense, strike missions, ect.....) Co-Ops don't require as much of the supporting tasks, being much shorter matches, and the bots in them are far less varied.

[RKLES]
Members
8,387 posts
10,645 battles

I often group by bomber squadrons together and send them out ASAP to try to get through and strike weaker AA ships often near edges of the map, but sometimes through mid If I can. While doing this my fighters will spot and take of enemy squadrons of fighters or bombers and then the fighters. If my fighters are keeping the enemy fighters discrated by dog fighting if simply running around, then they will likely not be able to notice my Bombers sneaking around after enemy BBs or DDs, or some times a weaker AA cruiser.

Big thing about bombing enemy ships is doing some research on not only how to use your CV and your aircraft, but also knowing which ships have good AA and which ones do not. Like for example a Fuso tends to be easy enough to attack with aircraft, but then a Texas often is bad idea to attack right away because of it’s AA guns.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,933 posts
9,055 battles

Your right to try and clear enemy aircraft first, delaying the attack a bit can leave an opening that you can exploit later. When you do go to attack in IJN, your ideal target is enemy capital ships- BB's and CV's. That is what they were balanced around with the wide gaps in torps and inaccurate to put it mildly DB's. However, you catch a DD that is alone and a threat, try and take it out. Your going to want to go with solo ships as targets, unless it's a cruiser. Those are last resort targets, as are some DD'a (never attack a Kidd). Your gonna have to learn which ships have what AA because that will dictate targets as well. Real players tend to lose far less AA than bots. In general though, CV's are a mess right now, and Wargaming won't tell us a damned thing about the rework, so you may be better off sticking to operations and the like til that happens cause you may have to relearn everything anyway. 

Sign in to follow this