Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldSaltyOne

Is Aigile a good boat?

36 comments in this topic

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

I'm almost half way to being able to get Aigle.  Is it a good boat for its tier?  I've been shopping around for premium DD's lately.  I may be able to pick up Lo Yang on Wednesday but I'm not sure yet.

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,475 battles

it was a good boat but with the current radar meta its harder to smoke up an shoot it has great acceleration 

[SHEEP]
Members
216 posts
4,319 battles

Would not recommend, French dds aren’t gonna be a thing for another little while, maybe gallant instead of stick with the tech tree ones, they’re pretty good for t6

Members
1,703 posts
10,536 battles

It is an ok DD.  I played it more like the RU DDs which was pretty fun.  You can always smoke up and light ships on fire as well.    If you have a 10 point captain, you can stealth torp by a small margin. 

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
10 minutes ago, Ron4ja said:

it was a good boat but with the current radar meta its harder to smoke up an shoot it has great acceleration 

Radar is Over Rated.

1 minute ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

It is an ok DD.  I played it more like the RU DDs which was pretty fun.  You can always smoke up and light ships on fire as well.    If you have a 10 point captain, you can stealth torp by a small margin. 

I'm already at Tashkent on Russian DD's and I own

5 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

What is your playstyle like in DDs? Would help to know.

Well I play Akizuki on a daily basis.  Even more than Missouri.  So I do like the Gun Boat DD's and their play style, but I also like stealth.  I already do own Gearing and Shimakaze.

11 minutes ago, Q___________Q said:

Would not recommend, French dds aren’t gonna be a thing for another little while, maybe gallant instead of stick with the tech tree ones, they’re pretty good for t6

I do own Gallant but I rarely play it.  Although I appreciate having the ability of single fire torpedoes.

[TNG-3]
Members
314 posts
20,944 battles
15 minutes ago, Q___________Q said:

Whoa man...! Frenchies are a thing. They were all the time. Ready for some memes today?

[KWF]
Members
3,940 posts
5,946 battles

I would either wait for La Terrible that has been shown, though its gonna be a while. Have you considered Z-39 on the other hand? She's not a pure gunboat but seems quite capable.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
5 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I would either wait for La Terrible that has been shown, though its gonna be a while. Have you considered Z-39 on the other hand? She's not a pure gunboat but seems quite capable.

I have not considered it.  I actually more enjoying playing around tier 8.  But since I can't just quite get Lo Yang yet I'm settling for a ship that I can get with coal or cheaply.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,547 posts
33,577 battles

Actually it is a very good ship, unlike what they say. Way better than Gallant.

It is a gunboat with bad concealment, good guns, and great speed, similar to RU DDs.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
Just now, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

It's pretty weak for a premium IMO.

For T6 I like Anshan instead.

I own Anshan already lol.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
13 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Actually it is a very good ship, unlike what they say. Way better than Gallant.

It is a gunboat with bad concealment, good guns, and great speed, similar to RU DDs.

I have yet to read @LittleWhiteMouse review on it either.  I may do that at some point today.

[--K--]
Members
5,327 posts
16,612 battles

I don't think the Aigle is worth purchasing for Coal. I got the boat when WG gave it away, played enough games to finish the mission that came out with it and haven't touched that garbage ship since. 

[NWNG]
Members
3,056 posts
4,925 battles

Her gun angles are tricky to deal with. You have to go full broadside to get all guns on target and fire. So don't expect to utilize all 5 guns at all times. I would also recommend going RDF over CE in the commander skills. Yeah, small margin for stealth torp can be beneficial, but it isn't that large of a margin. Hunt those DDs.

[RKLES]
Members
11,796 posts
13,379 battles
1 hour ago, torpsRus said:

I'm almost half way to being able to get Aigle.  Is it a good boat for its tier?  I've been shopping around for premium DD's lately.  I may be able to pick up Lo Yang on Wednesday but I'm not sure yet.

Read the @LittleWhiteMouse review of the ship carefully and it can help you decide. She does really good reviews that include the pros and cons of a ship.  :fish_book:

[PLPT]
[PLPT]
Members
66 posts
4,896 battles

Pros:

1.It has fantastic 139mm guns at close to medium range.

2. Very hard hitting torps

3. W/Survivability Expert you have tier9-10 levels of HP for a DD.

4. Relatively fast.

Cons:

1. Terrible gun angles and floaty shell arcs at range.

2. She's big.

3. Torps are short ranged and best used as island ambushes/last ditch suicide rush.

All in all, I love my Aigle. It's fun to bully teir 5,6, and 7DDS in her. She plays like a hybrid American/Russian with the flaws of both. I wouldn't recommend her for coal unless there is nothing else you want to spend it on.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
25 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I don't think the Aigle is worth purchasing for Coal. I got the boat when WG gave it away, played enough games to finish the mission that came out with it and haven't touched that garbage ship since. 

So what you are suggesting is wait until it's a free big mission grabber again?

[K0]
Members
1,751 posts
7,747 battles

It's like a German DD mixed with a Russian DD. Spec it more like the latter (take EM for those molasses turrets) and you should be good to go.

Members
1,703 posts
10,536 battles
56 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Radar is Over Rated.

I'm already at Tashkent on Russian DD's and I own

Well I play Akizuki on a daily basis.  Even more than Missouri.  So I do like the Gun Boat DD's and their play style, but I also like stealth.  I already do own Gearing and Shimakaze.

I do own Gallant but I rarely play it.  Although I appreciate having the ability of single fire torpedoes.

tashkent is a real gem imo.  I was very tempted to not bother to go the Khaba despite how good the khaba is.  You have 2km more range which is handy in some situations.  You have usuable torps.(so many people didn't expect torps to hit them as i kited away)  You are a smaller target as well.  You have better concealment which is never a bad thing.  I grinded through the tashkent very quickly.   Outside of the stock grind and captain retraining, it was a fun experience all the way to the end.  I might buy it back one day when i had credits to burn and a captain to slap on it.  The khaba is better, but to me the tashkent was 9.5+ tier ship.   i havent checked in a long time, but i had at one time the 3rd most damage in the taskent on the server in a blow out loss. 

anyways, it is up to you how you want to play it.  I think you can play it both ways.(gun boat or more stealthy with torps) The main focus is guns tho.     IDK how the french DDs will be tech tree wise.  but looking at the premiums, they seem to be RU gun boat DDs 2.0.  i am kinda hoping the french are like that. 

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
Just now, Frederick_The_Great said:

tashkent is a real gem imo.  I was very tempted to not bother to go the Khaba despite how good the khaba is.  You have 2km more range which is handy in some situations.  You have usuable torps.(so many people didn't expect torps to hit them as i kited away)  You are a smaller target as well.  You have better concealment which is never a bad thing.  I grinded through the tashkent very quickly.   Outside of the stock grind and captain retraining, it was a fun experience all the way to the end.  I might buy it back one day when i had credits to burn and a captain to slap on it.  The khaba is better, but to me the tashkent was 9.5+ tier ship.   i havent checked in a long time, but i had at one time the 3rd most damage in the taskent on the server in a blow out loss. 

anyways, it is up to you how you want to play it.  I think you can play it both ways.(gun boat or more stealthy with torps) The main focus is guns tho.     IDK how the french DDs will be tech tree wise.  but looking at the premiums, they seem to be RU gun boat DDs 2.0.  i am kinda hoping the french are like that. 

My Tashkent Captain is set up as an AA build.  So my gun range on Tashkent currently is 15.2KM

[RKLES]
Members
11,796 posts
13,379 battles
7 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

So what you are suggesting is wait until it's a free big mission grabber again?

That might never happen again, often Wargaming has premium vehicles for free only once and then charges after that. Coal could be reasonable if you think you might like the ship, but by all means do research onto how the ship plays and the reviews on it to get some idea if the ship will suit you. Even a bad ship can be a good ship for some people and even a ship many say is good can be bad if it does not suit the play style of the player.

Members
1,703 posts
10,536 battles
2 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

My Tashkent Captain is set up as an AA build.  So my gun range on Tashkent currently is 15.2KM

BFT and AFT(especially AFT) are good skills for RU DDs.   i didn't take BFT.   I preferred taking SE(you heal more now per heal than before), DE because fires, combo of PM and AR, and SI for the extra heals and speed boost.   I am tempted to pick up vigilance.  you get a lot of torps fired at you, or torps you may just happen to run into at your high speeds.  Giving you an extra few seconds to dodge would be pretty handy.  i tend to do a lot of DD hunting in my khaba.  i would probably give up DE for it if i ever did change skills. at tier 10, i dont feel like you get much out of the skill because of the fire resistance and all the other skills/upgrades. 

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

I'm still just considering the option of just stock piling my coal build.  It will be much easier to do now that the daily containers do resources.  So I may just wait on it.

Sign in to follow this