You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sn0vvman

Boise no Good

124 comments in this topic

[JTF77]
Beta Testers
299 posts
6,226 battles

Only thing this ship has is credit and EXP boost....the rest is underwhelming and dare I say much worse then the Helena. Do not buy same goes with the other Helena clone with different skin Nueve

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,986 posts
11,042 battles

Did you look at any of the CC reviews... I think she’s a fun ship. That was a tier 9 game and I was open water for most of it with a Missouri chasing me most of the game.

CD1F22AB-E133-4DFF-8823-ECC8324BC100.jpeg

• Cool 2

[JTF77]
Beta Testers
299 posts
6,226 battles
5 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Didn't read the review?:Smile_glasses:

5 minutes ago, Shigure_DD said:

Did you look at any of the CC reviews... I think she’s a fun ship. That was a tier 9 game and I was open water for most of it with a Missouri chasing me most of the game.

CD1F22AB-E133-4DFF-8823-ECC8324BC100.jpeg

Considering the other options its a no buy.....if your a CC and get it for free of course its an O.K ship

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
1,986 posts
11,042 battles
1 minute ago, Sn0vvman said:

Considering the other options its a no buy.....if your a CC and get it for free of course its an O.K ship

You say it’s bad but you don’t say why... and the CCs don’t get to keep the ships they review.

• Cool 1

[JTF77]
Beta Testers
299 posts
6,226 battles
17 minutes ago, Shigure_DD said:

You say it’s bad but you don’t say why... and the CCs don’t get to keep the ships they review.

I told you there are other tier 7 options out there and compared to them these are no buys as there is something better to buy...…..

11 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

You get 2 ships for the price of one however. Price wise thats not bad at all.

I guess here lies the problem with a CC reviewing something where there is no loss to them (money in this case)……

why in the year 2018 where there so many rating options/systems on anything/everything you buy does wargaming not have one on their Premium ships?.....

[CUTE]
1,986 posts
11,042 battles
27 minutes ago, Sn0vvman said:

I told you there are other tier 7 options out there and compared to them these are no buys as there is something better to buy...…..

I guess here lies the problem with a CC reviewing something where there is no loss to them (money in this case)……

why in the year 2018 where there so many rating options/systems on anything/everything you buy does wargaming not have one on their Premium ships?.....

This is the main issue with premium ships is that everyone wants them the be op aka Belfast, kutu. But when WG releases a ship that people need to know how to play the line to make it work it’s a none buy..

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,534 posts
18,840 battles
1 hour ago, Sn0vvman said:

Only thing this ship has is credit and EXP boost....the rest is underwhelming and dare I say much worse then the Helena. Do not buy same goes with the other Helena clone with different skin Nueve

My first game in Julio I forgot to spec captain. 82k damage 1st place win.

2nd game 152k damage win. 1st place.

3rd game 112k damage. Loss, 3rd place.

4th game 76k damage , 3 caps, win. 1st place.

5th game 98k damage, win 1st place.....

Yes this ship sucks.

• Cool 2

Members
3,298 posts
6,601 battles

Thanks for the review - saved $40 bucks there!    These reviews should be randomly given to players and see what they think of them.  Well..not given..how about loaned would be better to be fair.  You keep the XPS generated for a certain time period. WOWs can compile the stats and then the crowd can get a picture of HOW it did on a public trial.  But that probably will NEVER happen...

I should add..the ship is played "Naked" Zero Capt skills, no camo, No signals...totally stock...out of the box. how about that?

Edited by dionkraft

[CUTE]
1,986 posts
11,042 battles
2 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

Thanks for the review - saved $40 bucks there!    These reviews should be randomly given to players and see what they think of them.  Well..not given..how about loaned would be better to be fair.  You keep the XPS generated for a certain time period. WOWs can compile the stats and then the crowd can get a picture of HOW it did on a public trial.  But that probably will NEVER happen...

This would never work. CCs do a good job at their reviews... 

• Cool 1

Members
3,298 posts
6,601 battles
Just now, Shigure_DD said:

This would never work. CCs do a good job at their reviews... 

Totally disagree with that...Thats like saying we have a race car and we are going to test it using a professional driver on a course.   Those results would probably be better than a average driver driving the same car on the same course wouldn't you say?   Thats the whole point here..customers should expect average details not results which only a few would achieve.  Thats why what you said does not follow with the expectations of the average player here.  Over hyping the scores and expectation is false advertisement.  

More than likely WOW should put in a disclaimer which reads that "Your results will vary depending on the skill level of the player. map and other variables in this evaluation"

Beta Testers
62 posts
1,238 battles

I've been having a great time in the Boise. Earned a few dreadnought awards. Had a few high damage games (I am by no means a WOWS master) and I'm enjoying a decent win rate in it. I find it to comparable to the Helena. 

But to be fair, if you don't like American CL's there's no reason to imagine you'd enjoy the Boise.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,363 posts
681 battles
1 minute ago, dionkraft said:

Totally disagree with that...Thats like saying we have a race car and we are going to test it using a professional driver on a course

I wouldn't want anyone but a professional driver driving a race car anyway. And nowhere but on a race course.

That was a terrible example. 

It also relies on the assumption that all CCs are better players than average. 

As for Boise, it is a good boat. It's not fantastic, it's not better than Helena in any way, but it makes good credits and does decent damage. Plus you get 2 boats for the price of 1. The fact that it's artificially slowed to 30 knots makes no sense, and the fact that it only has the Mk 1 FCS despite being a later ship than Helena makes no sense either, but meh. It does what it's supposed to do.

Members
3,298 posts
6,601 battles
1 hour ago, Sn0vvman said:

Which ship bundle or no bundle did you get?   Go full bore or go economy?

Beta Testers
631 posts
5,967 battles
2 hours ago, Sn0vvman said:

First, thats what all premiums have is credit and xp boost, that is the idea behind the premiums aside from commander training. I don't know how you play it, but I ran into two very good boise players yesterday that did very well.

Members
3,298 posts
6,601 battles
1 minute ago, ramp4ge said:

I wouldn't want anyone but a professional driver driving a race car anyway. And nowhere but on a race course.

That was a terrible example. 

What were talking about is the results one may get when we have rare exceptional talent vs average talent when testing a product. It doesn't have to be a digital model ship but anything you can imagine. The deal is that there has to be a case where skill is involved.  AND thats where the variable is.  If you had a can of paint and a paint brush and you are to paint a picture...the skill is in the artists rendering not just the strokes of the brush onto the canvas.   As i said before...the test is skewed and not realistic but you can defend it for all you know.  I myself - these reviews are getting all too rosy and should be reconsidered as to what a average player can expect.

4,363 posts
681 battles

Reasons to buy Boise.

1) The heal is nice. It's actually a good heal.

2) You get 2 ships for the price of one if you're willing to grind 300k exp

3) Tier 7 matchmaking is the best in the game

4) It's a Helena with worse AA, worse reload, worse range, worse speed, worse turning circle and rudder shift. But it's still 15 very good guns at tier 7. 

IMO, they should buff the speed to 32.5 knots and give it the Mk7 Mod2 Firecontrol. It'd still have worse AA, worse maneuverability and worse reload when compared to Helena, so Helena will still be better, but it won't feel quite as heavily gimped as it currently does.

But it's definitely playable as-is. 

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
9,077 posts
17,233 battles

The Boise or the 9 de Julio. is only a good ship if you want to dedicate your playing time to learning US cruiser while earning premium credits for it. I know I am not going to buy this ship because I am not a fan of fragile US cruiser with so so pew pew guns. It goes against my already aggressive play style, its one of the reasons  I avoid tier 10 like a drank avoids water. That said, for those who do buy her, she has the great potential IF you give it time and dedication. IF you don;t have those two commodities, pass on this ship.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

Members
265 posts
15,514 battles

The title of the video says it all ... it's a gimped Helena with worse AA, worse reload, worse range, worse speed, worse turning circle and rudder shift and they replaced the Radar with a Heal on release ... OMG ...

What needs fixed to justify buying this premium instead of playing a Helena with  Permanent Camo ?

• Horrible 10 second reload on her main battery changed to 8.5 seconds  just like Helena standard Main Battery
  • Terribly short-ranged at 13.6km and long shell flight times changed to 14.6km just like Helena upgraded Gun Fire Control
  • Slow 30.0 knot top speed with a bad rate of turn changed to 32.5 knots  just like Helena standard Propulsion
Edited by BigJohnsonLogan

4,363 posts
681 battles
6 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

What were talking about is the results one may get when we have rare exceptional talent vs average talent when testing a product.

This is assuming, again, that all CCs are "of exceptional talent", when most are pretty average. 

When you are testing a product, you want to put the product in the hands of those that can make the most of it so people can see what it actually does.

You don't want scrubs demonstrating your product because then your product looks bad. But it's not the product that's bad, it's the reviewer that's bad.

Also, the CC who reviewed this boat called it a "mehbote". Meaning it was neither astounding nor terrible. It was average. It did alright most of the time. 

That's not exactly a glowing endorsement.

Members
3,298 posts
6,601 battles
1 minute ago, ramp4ge said:

This is assuming, again, that all CCs are "of exceptional talent", when most are pretty average. 

When you are testing a product, you want to put the product in the hands of those that can make the most of it so people can see what it actually does.

You don't want scrubs demonstrating your product because then your product looks bad.

YOUR QUOTE:

"You don't want scrubs demonstrating your product because then your product looks bad."

I didn't know you were part of the WOWs sales group!  _ Kinda bias don't ya think?

4,363 posts
681 battles
Just now, dionkraft said:

I didn't know you were part of the WOWs sales group!  _ Kinda bias don't ya think?

I'm not. I just have common sense. Something that appears to be severely lacking in this thread.

[REVY]
Members
1,962 posts
11,142 battles

LWM gave a review of both ships that came out on release day.

Notser gave out his impressions of Boise 2 months before as well as a month ago, and Neuve de Julio a month ago.

All these CCs take time and effrot to review a ship before it's released.

Before you buy anything, you should always take what they say into account. In the case of tech tree 'clone' ships, if you already have the tech tree ship, you have an idea how the premium will play.

Buying it and then complaining it's no good after when you have all this information available just makes you look silly. The information on the ship is out there for you!

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

I think the ship is fine.  It can be frustrating to play, but it's not BAD.  She puts in some decent work.  I'm fairly close to finishing the NdJ grind with her already.