You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

"Unsporting" Activity

22 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts

I just entered a game only to find that the UI had messed up and I had no aiming cursor. I told my teammates that I was rebooting, which I did. However, I ended up in Port and not back in the game. Now, I'm stuck with a three game penalty for "unsporting" behavior. This is weird because you only get a two game penalty for sinking an allied ship.

I don't like the term "unsporting" to begin with. How is is unsporting if you are sitting still in smoke and an allied BB rams you out of it because he wants it for himself? Also, how is a game malfunction unsporting?

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Boring 2

[APOC]
Members
1,979 posts
6,423 battles

I'm guessing you didn't go out with "ctrl+shift+esc" and instead went back to port. If you have a UI issue just force close the program in the future with the windows task manager.

As for "unsporting", it's a pretty broad term man. Unsporting conduct can be seen as someone ramming you out of smoke or quitting the game and leaving a dead ship handicap. Three games aren't anything though. You'll forget about it in no time.

Members
1,249 posts
7,142 battles

TKs are often honest mistakes. Deliberately quitting a game isn't. No problem with the penalty being (slightly) more severe.

As for the term itself why worry about what term an automated system in a F2P computer game is calling you? 

Edited by Rocketpacman

[TIMT]
Alpha Tester
74 posts

Yeah the penalty can be applied for reasons like that, but WG is still tweaking and balancing it for us.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles

That reboot must have taken a very long time. However you left the game and didn't make it back so it is very much a legit "penalty" although three games isn't exactly a real punishment.

23 minutes ago, DasBootcamp said:

I'm guessing you didn't go out with "ctrl+shift+esc" and instead went back to port. If you have a UI issue just force close the program in the future with the windows task manager.

As for "unsporting", it's a pretty broad term man. Unsporting conduct can be seen as someone ramming you out of smoke or quitting the game and leaving a dead ship handicap. Three games aren't anything though. You'll forget about it in no time.

This or alt+tab and reboot from the start menu and tell the OS that yes you want to reboot even though WoWS is running.

Members
2,229 posts
11,347 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

There should be an option to rejoin a game from Port.

Yeah, but there is a confirmation button asking if you really wanted to leave.  So you made that confirmation consciously.  Close the program from outside the game just like any other time you're working with a program that froze or had some other anomaly.  And the "penalty" is not a penalty so there is zero (0%) percent reason to get upset over it.  That means less than 1%.

• Boring 1

Members
208 posts
2,157 battles
8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

There should be an option to rejoin a game from Port.

If ur crash while in game or use task manager to kill the game then restart if you where in battle more offen than not you will load back into that battle if it's still going on. The problem is he exited the battle first then closed the game.  The game system saw him as someone quoting on his team, if game had crashed or forced closed while he was in battle the game would have loaded him back in battle.

Edited by Themothius

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
7 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Yeah, but there is a confirmation button asking if you really wanted to leave.  So you made that confirmation consciously.  Close the program from outside the game just like any other time you're working with a program that froze or had some other anomaly.  And the "penalty" is not a penalty so there is zero (0%) percent reason to get upset over it.  That means less than 1%.

Actually, I was just hitting keys to try to get out because I had no mousable interface. I should have cltrl-alt-deleted and closed the game that way, I guess.

• Cool 1

Members
2,229 posts
11,347 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Actually, I was just hitting keys to try to get out because I had no mousable interface. I should have cltrl-alt-deleted and closed the game that way, I guess.

Yeah, I used to get this weird bug where the camera would just freeze and I would watch my ship drive off into the sunset.  Stopped doing that a few patches ago but was annoying as hell.  Restart was the only fix even though some folks suggested some sort of camera centering key combination to fix it that never worked in my specific case.  Task manager close was the only solution.

[D-PN]
[D-PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,535 battles

Enjoy your pink and carry on! What happens to you happens to many but they aren't complaining over a nothing! If you got a 3 day ban or such then you have something to complain about!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles

Just think of it as you doing your part to save the boobies.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

Pink is a warning not a penalty.  They really need to reword it in game.

"Warning" is a bit overused here too. "Notice" might be better.

Edited by Snargfargle

Beta Testers
252 posts
3,387 battles

Just play a few rounds of co-op...

The system is very "good" at tagging people pink for inactivity.  On my one laptop, I had many times that once in the pre-battle screen, I'd disconnect, sending me back to the load in screen.  Turned pink many times for that.  

Now I just haven't used that laptop for, practically anything.

As for the game, aside from being pink for that time and perhaps having a minor effect on your stats for missing out the battle, how often you were pink is not keeping tracked of.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Warning= предупреждение

Notice= уведомление

Go to Gulag=Перейти в Гулага

Pink is a warning not a penalty=Розовый - это предупреждение не пенальти

this game is meant to be Fun & Engaging=эта игра предназначена для развлечений и развлечений

[WOLFG]
Members
8,272 posts
6,515 battles

On the other hand, for forgetting your Caledon torps have a longer ranger than your Sampson torps, the color change is a valuable reminder.

[PHASE]
Members
6,129 posts
19,375 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I just entered a game only to find that the UI had messed up and I had no aiming cursor. I told my teammates that I was rebooting, which I did. However, I ended up in Port and not back in the game. Now, I'm stuck with a three game penalty for "unsporting" behavior. This is weird because you only get a two game penalty for sinking an allied ship.

I don't like the term "unsporting" to begin with. How is is unsporting if you are sitting still in smoke and an allied BB rams you out of it because he wants it for himself? Also, how is a game malfunction unsporting?

As a reformed player, I now follow the religion of Oddball, (Kelly's Heroes)

See the source image

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
17,511 posts
12,165 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

You weren't even able to WASD your way into a banzai course into the heart of the enemy and let them perform euthanasia for you?

Members
85 posts
27,923 battles

Being turned pink and being sent co-op Battle for three battle for one AFK is nothing but pure [edited].

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,869 posts
13,616 battles
2 minutes ago, Impala7 said:

Being turned pink and being sent co-op Battle for three battle for one AFK is nothing but pure [edited].

You are only sent to co-op when you turn orange and that means you have been bad too many times or tried to play too many times when you were having issues. Turning pink for a couple of matches is just a warning to behave and can be worked off anywhere, people use co-op because it is faster and the lower number of ships makes for less chance to make mistakes.