Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

Karma system: an issue that could be fixed

13 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
12,147 posts
33,706 battles

Got reported in my last coop game. Don't know why. The only thing I said was at the beginning of the match, when I told everyone I was going B (I was the only DD) and the bots would likely follow me. Did I get reported for saying that? Seems unlikely. Did I get reported for collecting 5 kills and someone felt I had stolen theirs? I don't know. Was it something I said in the forum?

I understand why the karma system doesnt say who reported me, but it would be great if

(1) there was always a notification of being reported. I lost a karma point. I know this because in the previous match I left a long line of smoke for cruisers following me into a cap, to cover them, and I checked to see if either of them had complimented me. They hadn't, but I knew my karma level and know I lost a point, yet there was no notification of being reported. 

(2) the type of report (chat, unsportsmanlike, etc). If players know their chat bans are building, they can moderate their speech

(3) the time stamp in the match when you received the report. 

If you want the karma system to change people's behavior, players need to get proper feedback from it.

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 4

Beta Testers
894 posts
4,556 battles

The karma system is completely ineffective for what Wargaming put it in the game for, shocker,  and means nothing. it is routinely abused for people who dont like that you did a better job then them, dont like the build you were using, the color of the camo on your ship etc, etc, etc. There is largely no point what so ever to paying it any kind of mind. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts

"Karma" was an interesting idea but it failed in reality due to the ability of people to "report" and thus remove points. Better to have left the reporting to serious issues like verbal abuse, with chat bans reviewed by staff before being implemented, and have Karma be like forum reputation -- positive only.

I have said nothing in a match but "hi"and "gj" and come in near or at the top of my team yet had my Karma reduced. Who knows why this is so. Some just report randomly. Perhaps it's because you didn't do what they told you to do or do what they didn't tell you to do but should have anticipated. Maybe they thought you were stealing their kills. Sometimes it may be just because they are just pissed off at life. It's a meaningless number that should be removed.

I much prefer seeing "Well Done!" in chat to any Karma points.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,509 posts
4,602 battles
40 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

If you want the karma system to change people's behavior, players need to get proper feedback from it.

Agree 100%.  However, the concept may be to warn others rather than deter behavior.  Either way, FAIL.

Beta Testers
1,285 posts
10,184 battles

The system is simply counter intuitive to human behaviour.

Above average players dont care and really below average players dont care. So, you get a lot of abuse in between. I try to compliment average players who play well and are polite in chat as much as possible for encouragement. Might as well make some use of it.

The 37% scrub who free XPd his way to a t10 BB and sits behind a CV all match is likely numb to all the messages.

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
719 posts
5,844 battles

The karma system is there as an option for people to express their rage through, instead of in chat. Or occasionally, compliment someone when they do something good. 

The system is working, just not in the way you think. 

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,532 battles

Honestly, the only thing that really needs changed about it is allowing players to report someone enough to chatban them without any Wargaming moderation.  From that day that was implemented to even now, players have been abusing it to group up and spam reports on other players even if the ones given out the reports were being toxic.  If someone doesn't like what another player is saying, they can simply select to ignore messages from that player.

[RKLES]
Members
11,801 posts
13,379 battles

I think if Wargaming is going to have a Karma System them maybe make it like the one they have in WOT Blitz. In that game you mainly get positive karma over how you did each battle and rarely  get complaints. You never run out of points since you have a point pool for each battle and it feeds a star rating system next to your name so players know better who to listen to on battles based on the star colors. And the compliments get used about as often as players say GG lol.

[PHASE]
Members
6,131 posts
19,425 battles

How does one simply get reported and the karma number goes down VS. when you actually see a notification after the game that you were reported and lost -1 karma? Does it take more reports to generate that specific message?

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
957 posts
8,975 battles

I've been hovering between 17-22...FOREVER. No idea what I did right, no idea what I did wrong. There's no information. Maybe the first time thanking a specific player in-game could register as a compliment? There's been a couple times where I made a stupid mistake and thought "I'll probably get down-votes for that," but I don't actually care. I'll get reported for not having smoke on certain DDs..all sorts of petty shi*, my favorite being "you abandoned me." Like yep...I spot, I determine it's best to go elsewhere, in your infinite wisdom from 200 games you felt I misplayed and felt the need to scream "REPORT COWARD_____."

Can't win with idiots like that. Best to just ignore them. However, POSITIVE feedback is a great thing. I'd love to see a little comment box or something after the match to add exactly why you complimented the player. Yes I could send a message but getting that pop up window "You were complimented by HeathenForay: thanks for the smoke," or something of the sort could make more of an impression.

Sign in to follow this