You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LubzinNJ

When doing a random battle....simply ask "Plan?"

37 comments in this topic

[SDIWO]
Members
1,218 posts
6,628 battles

I took a few months break from the game....came back and was dealing with some win issues in random battles. And then I realized what I was doing wrong....I forgot to ask "plan?" It's amazing what that simple one word question does towards win percentage....and also team cohesion.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,445 battles
9 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

I took a few months break from the game....came back and was dealing with some win issues in random battles. And then I realized what I was doing wrong....I forgot to ask "plan?" It's amazing what that simple one word question does towards win percentage....and also team cohesion.

Also, I've been amazed to find doing the opposite of what you and others state at the beginning of a match works well too … I think a lot of people just hate being told what to do and refuse to follow any orders

Reverse psychology for the win :)

• Cool 1

Members
527 posts
9,825 battles
7 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Also, I've been amazed to find doing the opposite of what you and others state at the beginning of a match works well too … I think a lot of people just hate being told what to do and refuse to follow any orders

Reverse psychology for the win :)

Sadly i agree. I see teams agree to something just to see 70% of the team do something opposite. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,809 posts
11,101 battles
30 minutes ago, Scrapyard_ said:

Sadly i agree. I see teams agree to something just to see 70% of the team do something opposite. 

Yep, nothing better than "AB", being said by others in chat even stating "Take B first" - choosing to listen as they agree to it, and then when you, simply going with the plan, go to B and find the entire red fleet there, and your team is well on the other side of A not even capping it. It's why even in those rare times I can see the chat (I can't see the shade of green, and at times even red, against many of the backdrops like sea, sky, islands), I've generally ignored it because half he time the guy that says the plan doesn't even follow the plan. 

• Cool 1

[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,664 posts
15,988 battles

I get triggered by people asking "Plan?".  You have no idea what kind of goober is going to answer that - normally with the most ill conceived idea after tap dancing in a minefield.

There is no battle caller in your random battle, hence no accountability for any of the players if they ignore the advice and do their own thing.  All you are doing is asking people to give you an opinion, one they normally forget after the first shell is fired at their ship and they turn tail.  Instead, TELL people WHAT you are going to do and WHERE you are going, that way they can choose to follow you if it sounds like a good idea.  This is especially true if you are playing a DD, the whole team is very dependent on DD's for screening and scouting - if you are the DD - tell people what you plan on, and then let them sort it out.   If you are playing a BB or cruiser - figure which DD you can support without exposing yourself too early and do so.

Asking "Plan" is a placebo, a false idea that you will somehow get a cohesive response from 11 other players, when in fact it will just confuse them ....

• Cool 6

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles
1 hour ago, LubzinNJ said:

I forgot to ask "plan?"

Also unfortunately, you then didn't get to hear the reply ... "no".

Members
19 posts
4,505 battles

I always thought the 'top' ship should have the honor of suggesting then plan (not CVs, tho). So, when I ask plan, I'm expecting the top BB to suggest a focal point. If I get nothing, I support the most powerful ship/player.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

No harm in asking for a "plan". Sure you get a lot of flip responses. You also get people communicating. As to "I don't want to follow some ones plan who may not be any good", well any plan has a better success rate than 12 rambling lone wolves. You can always suggest something better.

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

Well I, for one, still make an effort to suggest, or ask for a cohesive battle plan. For example, on a map like Fault Line, I state the obvious: Except destroyers and perhaps a cruiser or two, the remaining bigger ships must steer clear of destroyer alley AKA C cap. How do people usually respond to me suggesting the need for a cohesive battle plan? Usually, during non-weekend and non-holiday play, it's less likely I'll get a half-assed response or no response at all. However, recently the pattern seems to be getting no response at all or something like: "Do we even need one?" Or there will be some potatoes who say things like "shoot stuff", "win", "get a torpedo hit", "sink ships etc." Makes my blood boil sometimes and then there's really no limit to what I may say next if I'm having a bad day.

For example, if a cruiser or BB wants to make a clearly stupid move, I'll first try to explain to him why it's not a good idea, and if he replies with "it's just a game" or "why not?", then I'll tell him no one will be there to save him if he gets killed. If a CV is being a total noob or yolo DDs are sabotaging the team's chances of victory and my chances of doing much, then those players shouldn't be surprised if I question why they still play the game AFTER they respond to my suggestions with insults, profanity.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Beta Testers
1,285 posts
10,178 battles
2 hours ago, Scrapyard_ said:

Same.

[DANKY]
Members
734 posts
2,066 battles

It’s good...though limited use in Domination. Most of the time The Plan becomes just support whatever the DDs do...and I’ve never seen one (beside me) change their mind because the team asked them to.  Meanwhile as a DD taking directions from the team can feel a lot like one of those “twitch plays Pokemon” publicity stunts. I loved the one guy who kept calling out instructions to me well after I’d clearly committed to something else. 

A bit of chat is great on Two Brothers to make sure each side gets, say, a spotting DD and a radar, and I like the GET BACK button even though most of the time you feel like Gene Wilder playing Willy Wonka. A heads up when you are about to do something unexpected like, ‘this DD can’t cap well...will go A/B/C to spot/draw fire” prevents slower boats from following too close and  getting killed if the cap’s getting blitzed. 

[AFK]
Members
429 posts
12,885 battles

Calling plan with average player, is like give a toothpick to a chicken.

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
5 hours ago, Scrapyard_ said:

Yeah you can tell the team B-C all you want. If there are a few people not on the same wavelength a lemming train forms headed to A and everything "agreed to" is right out the window.

Then there is the classic 'turn around the moment you see an enemy ship at any range' that everyone has grown to love and enjoy.

I suffered through back to back trainwrecks yesterday when in both games our Battleships did nothing. 4 BB each match that took "the long way" to the engagement, only to avoid fighting at all once they got there. You know you are in trouble when all your cruisers are dead, all your BB are full HP, their Cruisers are doing whatever they want and stifling any DD movement. How are alarm bells not going off in these guys heads and WHY do they ALWAYS play BB ffs...

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,445 battles
5 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

I get triggered by people asking "Plan?".  You have no idea what kind of goober is going to answer that - normally with the most ill conceived idea after tap dancing in a minefield.

There is no battle caller in your random battle, hence no accountability for any of the players if they ignore the advice and do their own thing.  All you are doing is asking people to give you an opinion, one they normally forget after the first shell is fired at their ship and they turn tail.  Instead, TELL people WHAT you are going to do and WHERE you are going, that way they can choose to follow you if it sounds like a good idea.  This is especially true if you are playing a DD, the whole team is very dependent on DD's for screening and scouting - if you are the DD - tell people what you plan on, and then let them sort it out.   If you are playing a BB or cruiser - figure which DD you can support without exposing yourself too early and do so.

Asking "Plan" is a placebo, a false idea that you will somehow get a cohesive response from 11 other players, when in fact it will just confuse them ....

So is asking a DD to do all the dirty work for you :)

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

At least now with the spotting damage counter I can know if the BB I'm spotting for are complete turds or not. If I see the ticker not creeping up after a minute or two I sail elsewhere to spot. Not worth my time and risk to my ship.

Then when they spam asking for intelligence data I know to ignore the request and just let them dig their watery grave as they punish the ocean with 16" shells.

[PHASE]
Members
6,129 posts
19,375 battles

A/B is usually typed in by a window licking BB player that has spawned near A and B and hasn't even looked at the dynamics of the teams concerning how many dd's, what types of dd's and how much radar there is on the each team.

Always makes me laugh when they say "capture B" when there are 4 radar ships, dds with hydro and a CV. 

[AFK]
Members
429 posts
12,885 battles
36 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Someone can talk about a plan, but nobody ever follows it.

Plan is for skilled player, in FFA, kill them all is a better plan.

[TOG]
Members
4,071 posts
21,962 battles

Someone asked plan, my response is "None". Agreeing to a plan with 12 random folks is not gonna happen. Best to support the dd's. even then I've seen bad dd players. Heck one dd went into reverse at the start of the match.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

Members
2,255 posts

You should know the basics of playing once you reach T7. Anyone who asks plan in chat is considered a liability. Anyone following said plan is considered a lemming. 

Here's why.

• You have to play over 100 games to reach T7 if you don't spend any money. That's 25 hours. Most people learn basic game knowledge within 1-4 hours.
  • If you'er asking someone else what they are doing instead of going where you spawn... You'er only showing that you know little about the game and the chance of you dying is higher due to lack of knowledge/self confidence.
  • When you see people going from 1 edge of the map to the other... They are lemmings. They waste 5 mins of game time instead of the normal 2 it takes to reach the closes cap. Divide and conquer is always the best strat. Lemmings lack skill and often are seen struggling with 2-4 reds and capping with overwhelming numbers.

[TOG]
Members
4,071 posts
21,962 battles
3 hours ago, Canadatron said:

WHY do they ALWAYS play BB ffs...

Simple.Tthey want go "pew pew" and they don't want to get hurt.

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
2 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Simple.Tthey want go "pew pew" and they don't want to get hurt.

It's really too bad too because if you push with a BB just right... it's a thing of destructive beauty.

I don't have a lot of BB plays, but in the time I have played them I'm constantly impressed with how capable they are at applying damage right now. Cruiser yapping at ya? AP delivery! Its frickin unreal.

DD has a good alpha to be certain but it's not the 8 second flying death that a tight AP volley in the right spot is. Man. 

It kills me that BB players continue to squander shots, hide, not apply their influence to the field...ect. it's a shame. No one is truly scared of a BB guns while they are hiding behind an island. That's 0 match pressure, but that's also why they probably play BB too...

Oh well.

Members
2,229 posts
11,347 battles
10 hours ago, LubzinNJ said:

When people ask that, I tell them, "To not be a sabotaging griefer by dying before 5 min, that's the plan."  Still get 3-4 players not sticking to plan.

[PVE]
Members
3,684 posts
15,700 battles

Uh, crew, I hate to be the barer of bad news but, ah.......well, Um;  isn't this is a First Person Shooter.....there is no "we"....there is no "plan" in randoms?

It what "I" want and what ever everybody else does coincides, fine; if not, it is best described in and by the application of Chaos Theory........so many determinant's and so little time in and on the same plane of existence.

(sigh...)