You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
4ox4ire

Why are events so limited and vague?

31 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts
625 battles

So as a new player, I've quickly realized that events are stupendously limited to the top tiers and far more experienced players. It took a long time to actually realize this given that said events are so proudly and brightly displayed all over the game like it's the next level of space exploration. So as a newer player, I see these things and think "This sounds cool", except that's literally where my reaction hits it's peak and then continues to die a slow death. How any of these events at all even work almost seems to be an intentional mystery to a new player. All these potential rewards are thrown out with no explanation at all given as to how exactly one is supposed to accomplish them. So then one starts digging around to find out how this works, probably the first thing they find is that these are almost entirely limited to the top tiers. I still don't have any idea how half of it even works, but it hardly matters since it's far beyond my pleb level of relevance in the game. I logged in today and saw that I was given an option to join a team. Sharks or Eagles. I thought, "Wow, an event I can actually partake in? But before I could even finish that thought, came another... "I doubt this is relevant to me somehow". My lack of optimism payed off, as it turns out that it's not relevant to me. Only T5 and higher can even partake (which I expected and was ONLY able to find out because I went out of my way to specifically find it). To add to that, I still haven't the slightest clue how anything beyond this even works. Things about missions, what even is a mission? The whole game is just random battles against bots or other players. How am I supposed to know if what I am doing is even in line with what the "mission" is? I mean, we aren't exactly recreating D-Day here. I imagine none of this is at all relevant for someone still on T4, but the more I play this game, the more confused I get and the more I feel like nothing is descriptive or straight forward enough for new players like myself. The game seems to make an attempt to introduce new players to the absolute basics, but beyond that, you're basically given a boat without so much as a compass. At this point, I've pretty much lost any and all interest in things like "missions", "events" or otherwise. Even if I did have the capable ships required to participate, my interest in even caring is sailing away. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,849 posts
12,582 battles

Keep battling and get a tier 5 ship then join in the fray!

• Cool 1

Members
22 posts
625 battles
3 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Keep battling and get a tier 5 ship then join in the fray!

But the point is why are they so limited and why isn't it made clear off the bat that they are indeed so limited? 

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

Events are tier 5 usually which isnt even close to top tier. I have just over 1000 battales and i currently have 7 tier 5 or better ships which allow me to be flexible in what I play to do events. But id you havent figured out by now this game is very grindy the higher you go in a tech tree.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
2 minutes ago, 4ox4ire said:

But the point is why are they so limited and why isn't it made clear off the bat that they are indeed so limited? 

Back when they first talked about it they showed it was for tier 5 and above. Thats tge limit WG has set for its events.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,849 posts
12,582 battles

@4ox4ire It is stated in the announcement on the news page that tier 5 and higher are required. That's just the way most of these events are set up. I have 3 I am working on and each one requires a specific tier 10 ship.

So keep at it and get your 1st tier 5 it isn't that difficult to do. I had US tier 5 for US, IJN, Germany and USSR fairly quick after I started 3 years ago.

Members
22 posts
625 battles
10 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

Events are tier 5 usually which isnt even close to top tier. I have just over 1000 battales and i currently have 7 tier 5 or better ships which allow me to be flexible in what I play to do events. But id you havent figured out by now this game is very grindy the higher you go in a tech tree.

I understand it's very grindy by now. Which isn't ideal, but I completely understand why. 

8 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

Back when they first talked about it they showed it was for tier 5 and above. Thats tge limit WG has set for its events.

So then why isn't this made obvious to new players? I like community based games, but even joining a clan is limited to lvl 15. It feels like you can't even participate the overall game itself until you're established as a professional player. Which is cringy but I won't argue. The bigger peeve is that these are advertised without any serious explanation as to how one is to, or is allowed to participate. You have to go out of your way to look for it, and even then, it's incredibly vague. I thought I'd have picked up on all this by now, but it still feels vague. Would help if new players weren't intentionally isolated from the gaming community methinks. 

4 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@4ox4ire It is stated in the announcement on the news page that tier 5 and higher are required. That's just the way most of these events are set up. I have 3 I am working on and each one requires a specific tier 10 ship.

So keep at it and get your 1st tier 5 it isn't that difficult to do. I had US tier 5 for US, IJN, Germany and USSR fairly quick after I started 3 years ago.

Oh I am, working on Moskva. I don't expect to soar through the ranks, but read above^

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
4 minutes ago, 4ox4ire said:

So then why isn't this made obvious to new players? I like community based games, but even joining a clan is limited to lvl 15. It feels like you can't even participate the overall game itself until you're established as a professional player. Which is cringy but I won't argue. The bigger peeve is that these are advertised without any serious explanation as to how one is to, or is allowed to participate. You have to go out of your way to look for it, and even then, it's incredibly vague. I thought I'd have picked up on all this by now, but it still feels vague. Would help if new players weren't intentionally isolated from the gaming community methinks. 

I agree some better info would be nice for the newbies. But you don't want to throw them right in the pool with the sharks amd say sink or swim. It took me quite awhile to learn to play well enough to start getting my win rate to rise. But I watched tons of youtube videos to improve my game play. I also read lots on the wiki site and learn alot in these forums. Even asked questions here quite a bit. 

Beta Testers
1,323 posts
3,585 battles

Well if your dead serious I think some tier 5 ships are availble  for  purchase I wouldn’t go beyond that though. One still needs to gain experience I would say practice in co-op with said tier 5 ship whether you buy one or earn one.

Members
18 posts
1,822 battles

I'm a new player too, and it was a mystery to me too until I thought about it a bit more.  I can see wanting to break up the grind a bit for veteran players by giving them special events as most T5 and higher players have been at it for a while.  I'm still having fun learning the mechanics and tactics,  the regular gameplay modes haven't even begun to get stale for me yet.  

• Cool 2

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
10,426 battles

These events used to be limited to tier 4, then tier 5 and now some are limited to tier 6 - the reason I assume is so that seasoned players won't seal club newer players all the time if they actually want to get rewards from in game specials.

It's to protect new players like you.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Achieving LVL 15 can be done in one day 2 if you have a low attention span. Tier 5 is where the game actually begins with tactics and strategy.A new player is still in a protected scenario from this until tier 4.

Co-Op is the intro to the game not easy but  workable with many mistakes forgiven.

Co-Op has many Players that prefer to stay in Co-Op,all the way to tier 10.

Going into Random or Ranked ,Operation Scenarios and Clan Battles are for the more Experienced Players. 

Please don't rush yourself into something you won't be  able to handle.

Take your time learn to Aim and hit what you aim at {Turrets,AA guns, Secondary Guns, Rudders} Yes this is required in higher tier play.

Study the maps know where your going know the choke points. There are so many things you will learn and need to know.

Come here and ask Questions .... Besure to Identify the fact your new to the game . There are so many players who would love to help you only if you ask.

But the same amount who will troll you.

[INTEL]
Members
8,567 posts
25,652 battles

Paragraphs are awesome. You should try them.

• Bad 2

Members
22 posts
625 battles
30 minutes ago, Call_of_the_Mastodon said:

I'm a new player too, and it was a mystery to me too until I thought about it a bit more.  I can see wanting to break up the grind a bit for veteran players by giving them special events as most T5 and higher players have been at it for a while.  I'm still having fun learning the mechanics and tactics,  the regular gameplay modes haven't even begun to get stale for me yet.  

"84 Battles" - It wasn't beginning to get stale for me either, but that's beside the point. 

29 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

These events used to be limited to tier 4, then tier 5 and now some are limited to tier 6 - the reason I assume is so that seasoned players won't seal club newer players all the time if they actually want to get rewards from in game specials.

It's to protect new players like you.

This actually makes a bit of sense after trying to play WoT. But I think it should be more apparent. 

27 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Achieving LVL 15 can be done in one day 2 if you have a low attention span.

Yeah, sure.... If you literally have no life outside the game... 

Please don't rush yourself into something you won't be  able to handle.

Not my intention. I realized from talking to people on here and from playing this myself that the skill required greatly increases with tier. And as a newb, I don't want to be that guy who comes in and tells you how to do your job, but it feels like the game presents certain things in bad ways and kind of leaves newbies to fend for themselves. Like another thing I don't get is why clans are restricted? Most games I play, such things are readily available to newbies for the sole sake of helping them learn. 

Take your time learn to Aim and hit what you aim at

And on that note, the last thing I commented on these forums was regarding the training rooms. Why are they restricted to lvl 15? I mean c'mon. Who could possibly benefit more from such a thing?

Study the maps know where your going know the choke points.

Master of geography, so studying maps for me is almost photographic. 

Come here and ask Questions .... Besure to Identify the fact your new to the game . There are so many players who would love to help you only if you ask.

I do this indeed.

16 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Paragraphs are awesome. You should try them.

You challenging me to a a grammar competition, sir? O.o

Edited by 4ox4ire

[VW]
Members
1,932 posts
12,495 battles
4 hours ago, 4ox4ire said:

The point of the company is to make the grind to tier 10 so odeous that you will spend money to buy premium ships and or premium time, dubloons/free xp to get there, while at the same time providing motivation for you to do so. The missions used to be tier 4 and up, the slow increase in average tier among the player base led them to up the missions to tier 5, we have already seen tier 6 only missions, expect this to creep up to tier 10 at some point in he future. If you want to participate the best strategy is to grind one line all the way up then move on to the next one. Personally i ground all lines simultaneously, with the result that i only got my first tier 10 a couple months ago. 

To see mission info click « missions » in game also « personal challenges » etc, and check the game website for he details.

[STW-M]
Members
2,042 posts
5,854 battles

Frankly, even though I'm been playing for 1.5 years now, I read the Eagles vs Sharks page and I came out of the text more confused than when I started reading.

Jesus WG, that was a harder page to understand than some thesis I read for IR class.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
1 hour ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Frankly, even though I'm been playing for 1.5 years now, I read the Eagles vs Sharks page and I came out of the text more confused than when I started reading.

Jesus WG, that was a harder page to understand than some thesis I read for IR class.

Yeah, the info on this event is about as clear as mud in some places.

"If you decline an offer to switch teams, you get Loyalty Points!"
"Sweet! What do those do?"
*shrugs*

The fact that we have to go rummaging through not only the game tooltips, but also various videos and articles, and people STILL don't have the whole picture for sure, is just downright stupid.

• Cool 1

[DPG]
Members
886 posts
4,410 battles

When I started playing this game T3 ships could participate in missions.  Now that more players are at higher tiers they started raising the cost of admission.  It might have something to do with making it far too easy for seal clubbing.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles
6 hours ago, 4ox4ire said:

They are limited because the rewards are quite substantial (you want the rewards, play in the big league), and the specific reward here relates to a Tier 10 ship.

I wasn't actually aware of the tier limitation until I played the game last night and had no missions offered to my Mikasa (Tier 2) or Ishizuchi (Tier 4) but got them for both Gallant and Queen Elizabeth (Tier 6).

When I was new, I missed out on tasks due to not having a sufficiently high tier ship. Then I missed out on some (or more to the point, failed to complete them) through not having sufficiently high tier ships of the right type (I fixated on British cruisers to the exclusion of everything else because of historical reasons, but it wasn't the best choice for a newbie). I rectified those omissions and now have won several ships, free premium camo, etc. It's an incentive to improve, and sometimes you just have to accept that you weren't ready yet and learn the lessons & fix the deficiencies in your lineup for next time. I would recommend that you concentrate on working up at least one cruiser, one destroyer and one battleship line to Tier V at least or even Tier VI (to be certain), and that you leave British cruisers for a later date (fruit of bitter experience). Don't buy premium ships more than one tier above where you already are; you are potentially likely to be out of your depth VERY quickly. (The exception is if they are going out for fire-sale prices for a limited time, but be aware of how difficult a higher-tier ship could be to play when you are inexperienced. It can be really brutal.)

• Cool 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,034 posts
11 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

@4ox4ire there is one Forumite who at one time had a Guide full of the need to know items. @Quaffer I believe had it.

I'm not sure what @CLUCH_CARGO was referring to but I'll throw these on the wall. Make of them what you will.

Maps found in Random Battles

The above shows all of the maps that are, and for the most part have been used, in random battles.  I rarely include the event maps, as they are not generally available in the training room, which I use in the map creation.  Whenever a new patch comes out I review the patch notes and if they indicate a change has been made in the map I update it.  This thread is pinned in the Game Guides and Tutorials forum.

New Player Guides

I strongly recommend that new players read every thread that has been pinned in the New Players Guides.  Torpedo basics was pinned there because it won a contest.  Most of my guides can be found there. You may find them a little dated as they were written from the perspective of an Alpha tester who was trying to give some basic information to new Beta Testers. I have tried to make them educational and amusing and most of them include graphics. As the interface has changed a little the screen shots may not be an exact match to what you see today but they are still informative.

View Basics

Navigation Basics

Gunnery Basics

Torpedo Basics

Turret Focus

Weapon Bearing (Shift-X) (Ctrl-X) (X)

Help Screens

List of Mouse and Keyboard Commands

So you want to buy a new ship

I hope you find them useful.

• Cool 3

Members
22 posts
625 battles

@Quaffer Thank you. Some of that is useful and otherwise, it's all very well made. :cap_like:

2 hours ago, Amenhir said:

It might have something to do with making it far too easy for seal clubbing.

2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They are limited because the rewards are quite substantial

I suppose these are both good points. :cap_hmm:

Still wish this were more obvious. I feel like I'm left out and being teased for it. I'll just be the Team Shark bench warmer for now, I guess. :3

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,833 posts
13,050 battles

Just play the game and have fun.  Most events are automatic (once you reach the event tiers)...you don't have to do anything to play them...other than play the game.  My biggest suggestion is to NOT chase the event stats.  You will get frustrated.  Just keep playing the game...try to win...learn, and have fun.  If you play a few games a day, you will often accomplish event stats without even knowing you're participating in the event. 

I've been playing for three years.  Most of the events I complete I don't even know about.  Well, I "know" about them...but only because I see the end screen results showing my progress in an event.  But that's all I know about them.  I play whatever ship I want to  play.   Whatever tier.  I don't chase the stat.  I don't even know what the stat is!!!  I'll play a game and see an end screen showing I completed a stat.

Missions. Events. Tasks. Ribbons.  Kills.  Heroic Achievements.  Yada yada.  DON'T chase the stat.  Just enjoy the game.  Everything else will come with time.  And when they do, they will come while you ENJOY the game.  Sort of like icing on a cake.  If you spend time chasing the stats, the game can, and will, become frustrating....a chore...not fun.  Just have fun and the rest takes care of itself.     

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,734 posts
3,490 battles

Honestly they all feel like a choir to me. 

These missions are all easy to 5* in 2-3 attempts with a group of competent players.

However, this is WoWs, so half the team will die immediately, half of the remaining players will be usless but alive, and the remaining half will be just enough to barely win or lose while not having much fun being over burdened with the responsibility of making up for 2-3 other ships with their 1.

The "just for fun" crowd screws it up for everyone by expecting everyone who spent a tiny amount of actual time learning basic mechanics to carry their corpses across the 5 Star finish line.

If you don't 5 star it for them, you're  "elitism," aka being good, is what's  ruining this game. Not them being a boat anchor on your chances while they stare livingly at their ships barrels in a fire fight, dreaming of a day when they could lovingly polish them in person.

[NOBS]
Members
521 posts
5,860 battles

With that, 19 pt captain in a T2, seal hunting