Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GiN_nTonic

Intermittent ultra-lag

17 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
731 posts
5,900 battles

I have a new MSI high(er) end gaming laptop with good spec's but I get odd intermitten ultra-lag.  I'm curious if anyone else experiences this?...and if you found an answer to solve?

Id say I get about 7-9 min. of solid 70+ FPS on max graphics gameplay when all of a sudden the game goes to like 5 frames a second for 10 seconds or so and then back up to the 70+.  This happens over and over again.  I am running the game on a SSD.  For those who will suggest it, I did lower my settings just to see if that had any effect to the intermittent lag and it didn't....though I would argue lowering my settings shouldn't be a factor considering 95% of the time everything is just fine.

I have COMCAST gaming internet, and a solid cat-5 wired connection.  My previous system had no issues, and it had less spec.

Beta Testers
1,225 posts
8,474 battles

If the issue is cyclical and predictable it almost quarantees it's a local issue with your laptop or wifi or router. Problems with your ISP will likely be random or on weekends when their networks are most congested.

One sure fire way to isolate the problem is run WoWs on another computer on the same network and see if the issue persists. Still have your old machine?

Otherwise not sure where to start. Does the problem change after cold booting your router? Are you running wifi on battery mode which could be causing intermittent power drops on your network connection? Does task manager show other things spiking at the same time? Have you tried disabling anti virus to rule it out? Windows sitting on an update? Video card sitting on an uodate?

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 hour ago, GiN_nTonic said:

I have a new MSI high(er) end gaming laptop with good spec's but I get odd intermitten ultra-lag.  I'm curious if anyone else experiences this?...and if you found an answer to solve?

Id say I get about 7-9 min. of solid 70+ FPS on max graphics gameplay when all of a sudden the game goes to like 5 frames a second for 10 seconds or so and then back up to the 70+.  This happens over and over again.  I am running the game on a SSD.  For those who will suggest it, I did lower my settings just to see if that had any effect to the intermittent lag and it didn't....though I would argue lowering my settings shouldn't be a factor considering 95% of the time everything is just fine.

I have COMCAST gaming internet, and a solid cat-5 wired connection.  My previous system had no issues, and it had less spec.

Nope it isn't just you, I have it too. It just started with Patch 7.7

Edited by legoboy0401

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
44 minutes ago, Scotty_SE said:

If the issue is cyclical and predictable it almost quarantees it's a local issue with your laptop or wifi or router. Problems with your ISP will likely be random or on weekends when their networks are most congested.

One sure fire way to isolate the problem is run WoWs on another computer on the same network and see if the issue persists. Still have your old machine?

Otherwise not sure where to start. Does the problem change after cold booting your router? Are you running wifi on battery mode which could be causing intermittent power drops on your network connection? Does task manager show other things spiking at the same time? Have you tried disabling anti virus to rule it out? Windows sitting on an update? Video card sitting on an uodate?

It's the server side, not the client side, that's the issue. My set-up here was working pretty much perfectly on medium settings before the update.

[2347]
Members
180 posts
5,013 battles

Started yesterday (after 7.7 patch) very intermittent, happened only in the Raptor operation and not in Coop or Random, didn't get to try clan yet. Twice crashed my game. Ran the repair tool without any noticeable change. See what happens today.

[4HIM]
Members
1,790 posts
4,050 battles

I see it from time to time.  Almost like a frame freeze.  Luckily so far it hasn't happened at a critical time in a match when I'm in a knife fight.  

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles

I had my opening match of the night ruined by ping times in the THREE SECOND region. This continued for some time, and others in the game specifically DENIED the same issue when asked. I eventually resorted to getting my Mikasa out into co-op and suicide-charging caps, letting the secondaries do the work (they were completely unaffected as they needed no input from me). 

Eventually it settled down, but it was frustrating as hell and it cost me some flags and camo.

[DNTZ]
Members
210 posts
11,515 battles

I have seen this for awhile.

In the few months I have bought a brand new graphics card and performed a clean OS install on a brand new SSD.  My Internet when tested outside of game gets ping: 9-12 ms, 350-300 MB down and 11-12 MB up.

Before I upgraded graphics card I would see this issue on the lowest settings usually when things got "busy" - lots of new ships that were just spotted, torpedoes, or planes.  Now it seems much more random.  My card normally will run the game at 65-75 fps on the highest settings.

Members
3,468 posts
6,161 battles
4 hours ago, legoboy0401 said:

It's the server side, not the client side, that's the issue. My set-up here was working pretty much perfectly on medium settings before the update.

How has this been determined?  "It worked before" is not a valid test or proof of anything.

[LNWLF]
Members
78 posts

When it just happens I go to my happy place and imagine this happening to everyone at the exact same moment so I'm not really in danger.

Just mind my own business playing and then all of a sudden lag

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,387 battles

I see it as well but its like @ZARDOZ_II my FPS will be running along smooth & then suddenly the game will seem to pause for 1-2sec then go back to normal. It doesnt interfere with my play at all. It just gives me pause (literally & figuratively) & makes me wonder if my game just locked. 

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
39 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

How has this been determined?  "It worked before" is not a valid test or proof of anything.

This kind of lag literally is incapable of being produced by the client. Only the server can produce it, because the client's job(ONLY job) is to put on screen what the server tells it to.

[KRAK]
Members
1,130 posts
13,551 battles
7 hours ago, GiN_nTonic said:

I have been getting what I assume to be lag quite frequently. I will play matches where my guns wont fire for a full second after hitting the fire button, turning and module clicks do the same thing as well as chat. I actually sent in a support ticket last night.

Beta Testers
731 posts
5,900 battles
23 hours ago, Scotty_SE said:

Thanks for the reply - yes, I do have my older system and I tried playing a couple games...without the lag issue.

I realize that might seem to indicate my new computer, but no other games i play on the MSI do that lag thing.  Its tough for me to figure out the cause with conflicting data.

[SS238]
[SS238]
Members
135 posts
22,769 battles

had it happen 3 times since the update. Lasted 15 to 30 seconds each time, then returned to the normal 70 FPS. Not sure if it is related, but was unable to play the operation of the week tonight with a full team. Each time (3 attempts) , we all crashed out and had to reconnect to the server.

We played other operations and they ran normally. Something is going on on the server side of the game. Hope they fix it soon.

Members
3,468 posts
6,161 battles
On 7/27/2018 at 7:30 AM, legoboy0401 said:

This kind of lag literally is incapable of being produced by the client. Only the server can produce it, because the client's job(ONLY job) is to put on screen what the server tells it to.

Kind of lag?  Please define the 'type' of lag this is and how you diagnosed it.   I had intermittent lag for 3 weeks - turns out it was not the server since everyone was not getting it and once I used  Pingplotter it was down to issues in the route.... In the 4th week - my ISP upgraded everyone to 100 meg.  Previously they were changing out equipment to go to 100 meg for everyone.

[RKLES]
Members
141 posts
3,246 battles

I noticed some lag for the first time a few days ago.  I froze for a few seconds and then teleported to where I was supposed to be.

Sign in to follow this