You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

Ocean: the unicorn of maps

12 comments in this topic

Members
416 posts

It still exists! I was stoked to finally play the Ocean map again. I can't remember the last time it appeared in the queue, but it had been a LONG time. Alas, my team was utter garbage, but not every team can be a winner. 

See you again in 2019, Ocean! I'll miss you.

image.png.fbcd62a924ae7d7b7ae8b722df06945c.png

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
5 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

It still exists! I was stoked to finally play the Ocean map again. I can't remember the last time it appeared in the queue, but it had been a LONG time. Alas, my team was utter garbage, but not every team can be a winner. 

See you again in 2019, Ocean! I'll miss you.

image.png.fbcd62a924ae7d7b7ae8b722df06945c.png

It's a good map. Whoever downvoted you was probably a salty Radar Minotaur.(Btw, was that Minotaur on your team Radar or Smoke Mino?)

• Bad 1

Members
416 posts
1 minute ago, legoboy0401 said:

It's a good map. Whoever downvoted you was probably a salty Radar Minotaur.(Btw, was that Minotaur on your team Radar or Smoke Mino?)

It was a new consumable called "hide in the back" because there aren't islands.

We lost 2 caps super fast. The DDs were the only ships pushing the attack, and all died. The BBs hugged the border. One BB complained about teammates from previous games saying he didn't play well (he came in last on points). Hot, hot mess.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
6 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

It was a new consumable called "hide in the back" because there aren't islands.

We lost 2 caps super fast. The DDs were the only ships pushing the attack, and all died. The BBs hugged the border. One BB complained about teammates from previous games saying he didn't play well (he came in last on points). Hot, hot mess.

But did he take Radar or Smoke? That's what I want to know about your allied Minotaur.

Edited by legoboy0401

Members
416 posts
6 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

But did he take Radar or Smoke? That's what I want to know about your allied Minotaur.

I don't know. He was too far away to make either useful. Odds are he took smoke.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Ocean is a great map it’s a shame it doesn’t come up as often anymore.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

Thats a map I doubt well see Notser feature in a video. :Smile_teethhappy: Unless hes playing a DD....

Beta Testers
1,225 posts
8,474 battles

Never understood the hatred for this map because I love it.  I know it's hard on DDs with mediocre concealment but it also eliminates HE island lobbers, which is refreshing.

Ocean emphasizes fundamental tactics and nothing fancy. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,217 battles
12 minutes ago, Scotty_SE said:

Never understood the hatred for this map because I love it.  I know it's hard on DDs with mediocre concealment but it also eliminates HE island lobbers, which is refreshing.

Ocean emphasizes fundamental tactics and nothing fancy. 

It's hard on all but the longest ranged BBs; Kongo does well on Ocean map because she can shoot clear across the map. I'm not familiar with the range abilities of high tier (10) BBs, but the happiest ones were the ones which could fire the furthest. Amazingly, stealth DDs also do very well on Ocean map, from the Kami's up to Shimy. Russian DDs take it deep. Players hate it because there is NOTHING to hide behind, which seems to be the new WoW motto; WE HIDE BEST!

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
113 posts
9,808 battles

Ah! The days of walls of torps from the unseen and shivering CAs in a cloud of smoke. Oh!  How radar has changed things  :Smile_teethhappy:

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,488 posts
3,435 battles

Ocean is the best map, and an easy test of which team is more competent.

Unfortunately for me, I almost always seem to be on the losing end on that map, whenever I get it. More because my team camps the rear, and I'm alone dueling enemy DDs and the few bold enemy CLs who advanced.

I guess that makes me incompetent for being aggressive instead of 1/10 line passive.