You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

Why does the dev blog have to be on facebook?

55 comments in this topic

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

Facebook is very inconvenient for many users because it forces the user to make an account to view the content. Why can't they put it somewhere else (like on the forums)?

• Cool 13

[PVE]
Members
5,615 posts
18,201 battles

You would think they would post stuff in their own forums. I don't have Facebook but I do read what they post there because on Reddit, someone always posts a link to what they have going on over there. I have always thought that stuff like Facebook, Twitter, and the other thing who's name eludes me now, were silly and a waste of time. If I want to be exposed to non stop stupidity and vileness I would move to California. 

• Cool 7

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
22 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Facebook is very inconvenient for many users because it forces the user to make an account to view the content. Why can't they put it somewhere else (like on the forums)?

Dont feel bad I've been staying away from facebook.  The only reason I still have it is because of family lol.  Otherwise I don't use it what so ever.  So don't feel bad, I don't even look at the dev blog because of that.  They should at least cross it to YouTube or something like that.

Members
4,547 posts
6,459 battles

Facebook is in trouble from what I read.  Losing participants. Stock going down....etc.  I am not on it and never will be. I come from the pre-cell phone era. It freaks me out these days that so many people go thru life with their smart phone jammed in their face...constantly. And I mean constantly. 

• Cool 4

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,123 posts
4,270 battles
5 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Facebook is in trouble from what I read.  Losing participants. Stock going down....etc.  I am not on it and never will be. I come from the pre-cell phone era. It freaks me out these days that so many people go thru life with their smart phone jammed in their face...constantly. And I mean constantly. 

I remember when I would go outside on a raining day to play in the mud as a kid with some toy ships and hotwheels(which I shamelessly took from my brother). That was pure entertainment for me at the time

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,006 battles

I quit my longtime FB account a few months ago because of the data scandal.  No way am I going back to that $#&*hole.

[PVE]
Members
5,615 posts
18,201 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Yeah I hope it dies, such a cool idea that just went all Orwellian.  I too lived most of my life before cell phones and personal computers and really lack the attachment to cell/smart phones. 

[SYN]
Members
345 posts
6,163 battles

It always amazes me that Facebook users don’t understand that they are Facebook’s raw material, not their customers.

• Cool 2

Members
4,547 posts
6,459 battles
5 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

I remember when I would go outside on a raining day to play in the mud as a kid with some toy ships and hotwheels(which I shamelessly took from my brother). That was pure entertainment for me at the time

I retired this year from teaching.  Was going to go one more year but I hung it up. Just going to do some part time now. One factor in that decision, not the only one but a factor, was that I was getting classrooms full of zombies.  Never say a THING for an entire semester. Walk in and no one was talking to each other like they used to...just endlessly checking their damn phone. I had students who would get agitated after 15/20 minutes cause they wanted to check their phone.  I could see it. Agitated!  Totally checked out and paying no attention to what I had to say.  Students who would say they needed to go to the bathroom and I would look out in the hall and they were checking their phone.... not using the restroom. . It got that bad.  Crazy.

• Cool 3

Members
3,780 posts
14,033 battles

I've never had FB and never will. And I agree that it doesn't makes sense for the devs to post WoWs info on FB and not on their official forums. Maybe the devs cant post on these forums becuase one has to have a active account to post here.

27 minutes ago, dmckay said:

My brother is one of those. He has a IPAD or whatever and it's constantly in his hand or in his face. I often wonder if he showers and sleeps with the damn thing in his hand.

Edited by ReddNekk
  • Cool 3

[CUTE]
Supertester
4,092 posts
4,164 battles

Devblog content is always reposted on the WoWs subreddit and here after it's put on FB, so I don't really see much of an issue. FB means they can just worry about putting up stuff on one place, instead of using the forums where they'd need to coordinate a bunch of different languages and sections.

Members
4,547 posts
6,459 battles
17 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

I've never had FB and never will. And I agree that it doesn't makes sense for the devs to post WoWs info on FB and not on their official forums. Maybe the devs cant post on these forums, one has to have a active account to post here.

My brother is one of those. He has a IPAD or whatever and it's constantly in his hand or in his face. I often wonder if he showers and sleeps with the damn thing in his hand.

Many today indeed do sleep with their smart phone in their hand. Psychologists are speaking out about this addiction more and more. They are now increasingly treating people for this.

Edited by dmckay

Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,388 battles
35 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

and i will say the same thing when my children start playing games with the power of mind,no keyboard,no mouse.

"in my days,we would actually move our hands and look at a screen while playing games,good times."

"ugh dad,this is so old,now we don't need to move our bodies,we just lay on the bed and let our mind do the rest"

Edited by Cruxdei

Members
280 posts
16 minutes ago, MikeLWX said:

It always amazes me that Facebook users don’t understand that they are Facebook’s raw material, not their customers.

Yup, the old adage of "if you're not paying, you're the product" is especially true for Facebook.

Members
3,780 posts
14,033 battles
3 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Many today indeed do sleep with their smart phone in their hand. Psychologists are speaking out about this addition more and more. They are now increasingly treating people for this.

My brother stopped by for a one day visit last April and he was endlessly fiddling with that damn IPAD. That evening I asked him if I could look at his device and he handed it to me. I walked out to my truck, tossed it into the glovebox, locked up the truck (like I always do) and told that he'd get it back the next morning when he hit the road and added; "Now you can be sociable for a while, like you used to be".

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,388 battles
5 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

My brother stopped by for a one day visit last April and he was endlessly fiddling with that damn IPAD. That evening I asked him if I could look at his device and he handed it to me. I walked out to my truck, tossed it into the glovebox, locked up the truck (like I always do) and told that he'd get it back the next morning when he hit the road and added; "Now you can be sociable for a while, like you used to be".

nowadays the new "sociable" is posting your life on instagram and facebook.

why i should look at someone in the eye when i can block him/her?

yeah i was born in 95 so cellphone was something only "rich boys" could get and when they started becoming popular,people were not so addicted like nowadays.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

I retired this year from teaching.  Was going to go one more year but I hung it up. Just going to do some part time now. One factor in that decision, not the only one but a factor, was that I was getting classrooms full of zombies.  Never say a THING for an entire semester. Walk in and no one was talking to each other like they used to...just endlessly checking their damn phone. I had students who would get agitated after 15/20 minutes cause they wanted to check their phone.  I could see it. Agitated!  Totally checked out and paying no attention to what I had to say.  Students who would say they needed to go to the bathroom and I would look out in the hall and they were checking their phone.... not using the restroom. . It got that bad.  Crazy.

you mean people locked in a building all day long, forced to listen to something they dont care about are trying to find something else better to do?

call me shocked...

• Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Members
1,300 posts
21,055 battles

Facebook is a scourge.  Anyone who posts anything personal on it has their life's data mined and sold.  Too bad WG is associated with them.

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles
1 hour ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Devblog content is always reposted on the WoWs subreddit and here after it's put on FB

Yes, some users will post the content here for others to see, but what I want is an official topic that's run by mods and locked for users, like the posts of known bugs. Just somewhere I can go to see official content, in order, so that I don't miss anything. 

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,123 posts
4,270 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

back when i was in high school. Cellphones was a rare sight and not a lot of kids had them. It was a good time. But now, almost everyone have one

Members
1,300 posts
21,055 battles
43 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

you mean people locked in a building all day long, forced to listen to something they dont care about are trying to find something else better to do?

call me shocked...

Sounds like you were one of his students.  Discipline can help a person endure short term "work" and toil for long term gain.  It's called looking to the future so one can live an independent life.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
396 posts
9,350 battles
53 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Facebook is a scourge.  Anyone who posts anything personal on it has their life's data mined and sold.  Too bad WG is associated with them.

Not a scourge, it's a disease, like all so called social media which has nothing to do with being social. I really dislike companies that use FB and other social media outlets for posting information. If it's not on their website or forums I dont see it and dont really care.

Members
4,547 posts
6,459 battles
9 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

call me shocked...

1. This is a college.  No one is locked in all day. They can come and go as they please.

2. THEY choose to take courses of their choice. They choose their major and what path they wish to be on. NO, they are not forced to listen. They can leave anytime.

3. As to whether or not obsessive smart phoning is better than getting an education and positioning yourself to make a go of it in life, well, that is relative and up to the student. It's fine that we have phones.  Just keep things in balance...that's all.

4.  Now public school....we are kinda on the same page here.  You are FORCED to do that. Man o man was I bored like hell bout half the time BUT I did have a good time in high school, it's just that most humans have a natural inclination to resist doing something they are made to do.  Shocking! 

Carry on