Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IvarTheBrainless

The Current State of IJN DDs

7 comments in this topic

Members
36 posts
3,590 battles

I remember when I first started playing WoWs last August. As a typical noob I wanted to grind the IJN DD line to Shimakaze as I had seen videos (that I realized were back in its glory days) of its immense power. I get my DD stats (don't even look at my Mutsuki stats) are pretty terrible as a whole. This is partially due to my inexperience when starting with IJN DDs. I'm not the upmost authority on IJN DDs but my blissful ignorance when I began playing led me down the line to Kagero, which I sold because the playstyle had become quite underwhelming when the enemy easily evaded my torps.

My whole issue with IJN DDs is that it seems like they've lost their identity. Other DDs have similar concealment (around 400-800 meters worse) but are way better at contesting caps. The uptick of radar ships also certainly doesn't help that. IJN DDs have also been outclassed in torpedo armament. Case and point PA DDs. Who cares if you have long range torps when another set of DDs has torps that aren't spotted from the moon, but can't hit DDs. It's not like you'll often hit a competent DDs anyways since one of the most important parts of playing DD is to not sit broadside.

Now, the ship that has lost its identity the most in this line is Shimakaze. Sure, she has those long range, hard hitting torps that reach 20km, but these torps are extremely hard to kill with due to their 2.5km concealment which gives enemies more than enough time to dodge. You might land a torp here and there, but you won't do much unless an enemy (most likely a battleship) makes a colossal error. These torps' main purpose I can assume is to zone, but that's not how players use them.

In my opinion, these torps are a waste and should be removed-or should be somehow reworked. If you keep them at 20km Shima's will definitely torp into teammates and try and "flank" to hunt CVs. That flanking playstyle, though, has been influenced by better cap contesters namely the PA and KM DDs. I always dread having only IJN DDs on my team due to this because you will lose all map control as Shimas will chase kills with their 20km walls of skill launched 5km away from an enemy BB which is basically a definite kill. Then teammates will call them out for not capping and losing map control while they rebut with "I got a kill stfu".

This playstyle isn't exactly contained to IJN DD players, but it is definitely more typical of them. The only DDs who should be flanking a lot are the VMF DDs since they have lackluster concealment but great guns they can use at range. Honestly these guns sometimes make them better at contesting caps.

With the increased presence of radar I'm fine with the flanking to spot, but I immediately detest any DD who never even once goes into a cap. I feel Shima and the IJN DDs need to have an identity other than being kings of concealment because that is immediately negated by radar and CV planes. One way of balancing them could be to buff their main battery traverse speed or reload or alpha even to make them better at self defense within capture points (plus hopefully better reward incentives by WG).

Another thing that could be changed is a reduction in the alpha strike of each torpedo but an increase in concealment. WG should also probably remove the 20km torps or reblance them with a shorter distance but still greater than Gearing which allows for better zoning and more chances of hitting a target. These changes could possibly make Shimakaze and other mainline IJN DDs more competitive and enjoyable .

Now I'm not a complete expert and would like to hear your fellow opinions on this topic. The least I want WG to do is at least make the higher tier IJN DDs as fun as Shiratsuyu with TRB consumable, because man that thing sure is a blast.

Edited by IvarTheBrainless
  • Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,659 posts
25,692 battles

Are you missing some paragraph breaks in there?

Looks like a wall of text. Sorry but no time to read in that state. I rather play a battle. Good luck next time.

• Cool 1

Members
469 posts
12,428 battles

Old school IJN DD player have felt the pain for years. You are communicating nothing new here.

IJN DD fans have seen other boats that can do every job they used to do better.

Non-IJN DD fans have celebrated this because they hated that wall of skill you mentioned.

As it stands now you are out-gunned,, close to parity on conceal, and your torps rarely hit anything. I wonder why people still play the ship.

[WORX]
Members
1,822 posts
12,861 battles

ATM until WOWS returns to

• specialized nations do specialized skills, instead of copy and paste a DD and mount a different nation flag.
  • low Concealment w/ low torp reload meta.  IJN DD core identity, instead of nurfing them at every patch.

The low concealment AND rapid reload of torps are the identity of the IJNDD. WOWS has to balance out the ships that rely on the torps for DMG.  IJN DDs are one step  below PA-DDs

until then IJN DDs are in limbo

[MWM]
Supertester
1,794 posts
5,025 battles

I average more damage with my ashi than my shim.  If I could hit cruisers with my ashi.... game over.  Id never play my shim again.

Sign in to follow this