You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Col_Calibre

The Value of "The Ribbons" After a Battle

9 comments in this topic

[SPARO]
[SPARO]
Members
53 posts
4,581 battles

Many times now that I really have the eXPerience of sinking a few ships in a battle, I have wondered about the value of the colored ribbons given for each devastating blow

to the enemy. At one point, I had accumulated 8 ribbons at the end of one battle but I do not see anything about where they go (on my behalf) or if the points are given

to the ship's  XP.  What do the points mean and where do they go ??

:cap_hmm:

Members
1,815 posts
808 battles

I went on the wiki for the sight and looked up the equation for determining XP, and it never broke it down below base XP.  It may be on there somewhere, but I didn't find it.

[PVE]
Members
9,769 posts
7,478 battles

Ribbons are immediate feedback on how you are doing. If you are getting a lot of shatters, you might want to change your aim to a softer part of the target and/or change ammo types. Same thing for bounces. If you have a mission to set so many fires or get so many citadels or so many main battery / secondary battery hits, the ribbons tell you your progress.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ribbons

• Cool 1

[SPARO]
[SPARO]
Members
53 posts
4,581 battles

So, then we don't know what the numbers mean exactly. Or even the value of the number and where they go that help us add up the actual scoring points.

Do they show up at the end of the battle when the display of actual points earned are shown.  Are the ribbon points put in there somewhere ??

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles
3 minutes ago, Col_Calibre said:

So, then we don't know what the numbers mean exactly. Or even the value of the number and where they go that help us add up the actual scoring points.

Do they show up at the end of the battle when the display of actual points earned are shown.  Are the ribbon points put in there somewhere ??

They are somewhere in the Base XP. Other than that, I have no clue as to exactly how ribbon affect said base XP other than that some ribbons such as the one capping a point indirectly increase the amount of Base XP given to the player in that battle. However, the main function of ribbons is its feedback. Do you need to adjust your aim to avoid shatters? Did you get a flood on a ship or not? Ribbons tell you this indi directly in the case of the latter or indirectly in the case of the former.

Edited by Dictonary
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,769 posts
7,478 battles
3 minutes ago, Col_Calibre said:

The ribbons show what you have done during and after battle. 

No, we do not know how they exactly relate to XP or credits. WG has not revealed that. Here is the link to the wiki on the XP & credit formulas.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Earning_Credits_and_Experience

[VW]
Members
1,940 posts
12,499 battles
3 hours ago, Col_Calibre said:

Many times now that I really have the eXPerience of sinking a few ships in a battle, I have wondered about the value of the colored ribbons given for each devastating blow

to the enemy. At one point, I had accumulated 8 ribbons at the end of one battle but I do not see anything about where they go (on my behalf) or if the points are given

to the ship's  XP.  What do the points mean and where do they go ??

:cap_hmm:

The majority of xp is calculated by the damage you do to enemy ships. The reward is greater for higher percentage of damage done vs that ships total hp. This means you get more xp for damaging destroyers vs cruisers vs battleships. Base resets and base captures are multipliers which boost your xp, but provide little xp if that is all you do. You get more xp for spotting ships the larger you ship is. You get xp for tanking damage as well. I believe special achievements give some xp reward as well, ie dreadnought, fireproof etc.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,555 battles

The Ribbons themselves do not supply any experience. They provide immediate feed back for contribution in battle.

Damage by percent dealt provides experience. 1000 damage to a destroyer, results in more experience than 1000 damage dealt to a battleship.
Potential Damage Received, Dodged attacks/tanked, also provides experience.
Spotting Damage, teammates attacking ships you are spotting, also provides experience.
Capture Points, must capture the point to receive capture points, also provides experience. Capturing a point reveals as "Assisted Capture" or "Capture" ribbon
Defense Points, attacking ships in the process of capturing points, also provides experience. Simply hitting them is needed, no need to deal damage
Aircraft Killed, also provides experience.

How each adds to the Base Experience, is unknown, and WG is not sharing. So someone would have to go breaking into the game's code to find out.

Damage, Potential damage, and spotting damage, is now capable of being made visible during battle. Capture points and defense points still requires you to view the "more details" tab at the end battle screen. I also recommend turning on the "detailed ribbons" which breaks down "shell hits" into over-pen, shatter, pen, and bounce.

• Cool 1