You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lillehuntrix

Hsienyang torp options

13 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

Did any of you make the decision to play through the Hsienyang using the stock (8 km, 61 knot) rather than upgraded (9.2 km, 55 knot - i.e., Benson DWT) torps?  Recently?  I guess what I'm seeing is that the range advantage would allow me to push tier 7 and 8 radar a bit more - but it's not really tier 7 and 8 radar I'm worried about, it's tier 9-10 radar and the kind of nasty that carries it, for which 9.2 doesn't do anything magical.  Meanwhile, when you do have a free run, 6 knots of speed is not insignificant in getting your package delivered before your target randomly turns.  The longer range is also good for torping smoke across caps - but, well, with DWT that is less of an advantage.  Reload, damage, and torpedo spotting range are also slightly different, but not enough to matter from what I can see.  Thoughts, opinions, experience?

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,121 posts
2,524 battles

Sorry to say but I free-exp'ed past the HsienYang. (Ever lasting shame to free exp an ROCN ship.) Anyway, that's not the part that helps you. 

The 10.5 Chung Mu torps absolutely rock for getting on a long flank and torping radar cruisers. Generally, I pick the 9.2 LoYang torps for the reason of being able to theoretically contribute to a game when uptiered into multiple T10 radars. However, my time playing the LoYang is basically going on hiatus, because frankly, her 9.2 torps are spotted from so far that they rarely do significant impact, and her hydro is useless again 10km radar. 
My biggest advice is to skip up to the Chung Mu, who has much more comfortable range. 

Theoretically, I would say use the 9.2 DWT. They will be stealthier, and hit harder. Letting you theoretically play safe against radar and still contribute. 

Frankly, I wish I could say that I've had good success, but honestly at times I feel like there's nothing I can do with the Loyang, regardless of torp choice. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,325 posts
11,458 battles

After a couple battles, free exp out of her.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles
11 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Sorry to say but I free-exp'ed past the HsienYang. (Ever lasting shame to free exp an ROCN ship.) Anyway, that's not the part that helps you. 

The 10.5 Chung Mu torps absolutely rock for getting on a long flank and torping radar cruisers. Generally, I pick the 9.2 LoYang torps for the reason of being able to theoretically contribute to a game when uptiered into multiple T10 radars. However, my time playing the LoYang is basically going on hiatus, because frankly, her 9.2 torps are spotted from so far that they rarely do significant impact, and her hydro is useless again 10km radar. 
My biggest advice is to skip up to the Chung Mu, who has much more comfortable range. 

Theoretically, I would say use the 9.2 DWT. They will be stealthier, and hit harder. Letting you theoretically play safe against radar and still contribute. 

Frankly, I wish I could say that I've had good success, but honestly at times I feel like there's nothing I can do with the Loyang, regardless of torp choice. 

11 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

After a couple battles, free exp out of her.

Lol, yeah - I have to play through, matter of pride.  Kind of like Extreme Hot Wings - I think if I play 25 games I get a "you survived" T-shirt.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,629 posts
25,331 battles

Skipped over it and never looked back.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles

Asked Aerroon on one of his streams about that, his opinion was that as far as you can stay from any potential radar the better. So 9.2km to him at least was worth the speed sacrifice. Can't say I disagree.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,121 posts
2,524 battles
58 minutes ago, Lillehuntrix said:

Lol, yeah - I have to play through, matter of pride.  Kind of like Extreme Hot Wings - I think if I play 25 games I get a "you survived" T-shirt.

I like your sense of completion experience. 

Do you have a goal ship on this line? =) 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles
2 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

I like your sense of completion experience. 

Do you have a goal ship on this line? =) 

Not really - Chung Mu and Yueyang are both supposed to be very good, of course.  I kept Fushun and GM and a few of the low tiers.  I'm playing through most of my DD lines at tier 8-9 so it is basically just a matter of unlocking the next ship in each line and then going on to something else while I wait for a sale on the first.

I do have to confess - when the New Year's event put me in a Fushun, I did not feel compelled to go back and play the Jianwei.  So I'm not a fanatic.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,121 posts
2,524 battles
Just now, Lillehuntrix said:

Not really - Chung Mu and Yueyang are both supposed to be very good, of course.  I kept Fushun and GM and a few of the low tiers.  I'm playing through most of my DD lines at tier 8-9 so it is basically just a matter of unlocking the next ship in each line and then going on to something else while I wait for a sale on the first.

I do have to confess - when the New Year's event put me in a Fushun, I did not feel compelled to go back and play the Jianwei.  So I'm not a fanatic.

I really wanted to have HsienYang. But for my sanity's sake, I free-exa'ed up. Now only to find I don't have enough credits to buy YY. Though I completed Chung Mu grind in only about 60 battles! She really does great. 

I know lots of people love Fushun. I can see her strengths, but I haven't had the practice to be good at her. And I'm finding it very irritating to play Anshan. (Even though I win a lot of games in that). 

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles
6 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

I really wanted to have HsienYang. But for my sanity's sake, I free-exa'ed up. Now only to find I don't have enough credits to buy YY. Though I completed Chung Mu grind in only about 60 battles! She really does great. 

I know lots of people love Fushun. I can see her strengths, but I haven't had the practice to be good at her. And I'm finding it very irritating to play Anshan. (Even though I win a lot of games in that). 

I did well enough in Fushun - but, it's tier 6, there is a lot of straight sailing.  For a while, both it and Anshan were basically Gnevny but better - but now Gnevny has that turret traverse buff.  I suppose the question is whether you are a RU or US DD fan - the play style shifts the line forces are kind of interesting.

Anyway, thanks.  Moments of Benson made me pull my hair out - I had an 0-8 streak early on that I never really recovered from.  Hsienyang might be opportunity for a second chance.  

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,325 posts
11,458 battles
2 hours ago, Lillehuntrix said:

I played each ship.

Most had bad short range torps or anemic guns.

After the Gjada,  you get spoiled.

The tier 9 is a dream compared to the tier 8... then you look at tier 7 and think why wasn't  this tier 8 instead of tier 7....

The Gjada, tier 9 and ten are the best of all to keep.

The others, when compared to other nation destroyers, are not even worth playing.

The 2 to 4 don't have the gun power to make up for not being able to torp destroyers. 

[PSV]
Beta Testers
3 posts
8,282 battles

Hsienyang is a truly unique ship with access to **RADAR** and both the Godjah torps and the deep water version of the Benson torps. 

I played it when it there was tier 8 ranked games. I ended up grinding nearly the whole thing in ranked battles. 

In ranked battles, my Hsienyang runs radar and the short-range torps. Radar allows me to surprise enemies who didn't know I have radar and allows me to effectively trade my hp away with up to 2 enemy DDs who are also in the cap with me. (I'm sure the loyang might be better for that) 

Once the enemy DDs die off. Short range torps are the ultimate weapon against the enemy team. Faster torp reload, faster torp speed means it is super effective at dealing with the enemy. Furthermore, you don't lose much torp concealment for all that bonus. 

However, this does call for high risk, high reward plays which not all players are capable of making. 

In randoms... I still believe that the short-range torps are better simply because there is radar everywhere. It doesn't matter how hard you tried to disengage, you can always be randomly spotted by radar. If you have enough DPM, you have an easier time carrying the team. 

[DS-DL]
Members
74 posts
On 9/29/2018 at 12:28 AM, mingyu0911 said:

Hsienyang is a truly unique ship with access to **RADAR**

Yeah, I've been using radar a lot of late. 

And if you try to maximize the effect of that, it changes how you play for sure. Even more when your team actually reacts to the sudden profusion of targets, but that's a story for another thread...