Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Allowing for larger divisions in randoms

79 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,550
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles

As this game stands the dominant battle mode is randoms. The problem with randoms is that it is a single player game that people play together. Yes you can division up with some friends but limiting it to just two is a mistake in my opinion. The FUN in this game comes from playing it together with friends. I know we have clan battles but you screwed that up so much that it is not really fun due to limited numbers, limited classes....you are forcing our customers to consume the game the way you want them to not the may the vast majority would want to. Yes there are operations, they are fun to do but repeating content over and over again is a recipe for boredom. Playing randoms as a solo player is about the worst gaming experience in a game built around randoms as the centerpiece. Having larger divisions say five or six ships would actually make randoms fun and engaging, all the toxicity in chat wouldn't matter because we could be playing together, working together in Teamspeak or Discord, actually having fun....which seems to be something wargaming discourages in this game. If you had larger divisions are were not at the mercy of hoping your teammates can play the game will make the randoms FUN and you might actually keep players around. I have played on and off since closed beta, but right now I just don't have any interest in playing this game by myself. Expand division's and let us play 12v12 against real people instead of the god awful clan battles format or repetitive operations. 

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 21
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,738 posts
789 battles

The toxicity would remain.  It would directed at those that were not part of the division.

Or at those that were part of the division.

Edited by DrHolmes52
Typing is OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
149
[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles

A team with these larger divisions against a team with no clue what to do. We don’t need stacked teams. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,398 battles

Imagine turning a clan wars team loose in Randoms.  That's pretty much what this would be.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Given the high win rates of 3 man divisions, and how uncommon 3 man divisions are, I don't see larger divisions happening in random.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,550
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
2 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Given the high win rates of 3 man divisions, and how uncommon 3 man divisions are, I don't see larger divisions happening in random.

Yep, people would have to adapt.....building your game around the lowest common denominator, the low skilled, low IQ solo player is not a good way to build a stable game population. The way it is now, the game has constant turnover which leads to the mess we have in randoms now. I would rather just play with friends every night....in three man divisions randoms are fun.....in five or six man divisions it would be epic. 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,550
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
6 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

Imagine turning a clan wars team loose in Randoms.  That's pretty much what this would be.

I don't have any issues with that, catering to the anti social solo gamer who never plays in a division, who never makes any online friends dooms the game from the start. There is a REASON why games like World of Warcraft have been so successful for so long and it isn't the solo play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
Just now, Belthorian said:

Yep, people would have to adapt.....building your game around the lowest common denominator, the low skilled, low IQ solo player is not a good way to build a stable game population. The way it is now, the game has constant turnover which leads to the mess we have in randoms now. I would rather just play with friends every night....in three man divisions randoms are fun.....in five or six man divisions it would be epic. 

They'd need to bring in uneven team sizes or something then. Because not being able to win because you didn't have 11 friends to bring along would kill the population a lot quicker.

If it was say a 6 man division vs say 15 randoms, that might be competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,195
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,570 posts
8,995 battles

No, a three player division can completely change how a match goes now and larger divisions would only magnify that.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[VFW]
Beta Testers
50 posts
2,398 battles

Something like SH in WoT would be cool as well. Premade vs premade format. Also, across several different tiers would liven the game up as well. Ranked stinks and SB is very sup par imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,398 battles
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I don't have any issues with that, catering to the anti social solo gamer who never plays in a division, who never makes any online friends dooms the game from the start. There is a REASON why games like World of Warcraft have been so successful for so long and it isn't the solo play.

I do have a problem with that though, because I don't think it would ultimately be healthy for the game (not to mention I sometimes like playing solo).  Even though it is an online multiplayer game, punishing players because they choose to not be social at a given time is not a good policy to have.  I mean maybe if they added a whole different mode (like the now-defunct team battles) that is in the kind of format of division vs division of a certain size without the time constraints of clan battles, then I wouldn't be completely against it.  I do not think it would be a good idea to let this go into Randoms though, because while it might be fun for a player in the division, it would almost ensure the win for the team that has said 5 or 6 player division unless the other team has one of their own.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
139
[-AH-]
[-AH-]
Members
664 posts
3,394 battles

yeah a 4 or more ship division would be way to powerful. Also super-dropping is really easy. We had a group of guys from the clan with three divisions and we almost always got in the same game. Luckily we all never got on the same team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,377
[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts

3 player divs already constitute a quarter of the team and you want to give them more influence? 

 

EuHIUJ4.gif

Edited by RipNuN2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
297
[CK5]
Members
802 posts
6,530 battles
8 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Yep, people would have to adapt.....building your game around the lowest common denominator, the low skilled, low IQ solo player is not a good way to build a stable game population. The way it is now, the game has constant turnover which leads to the mess we have in randoms now. I would rather just play with friends every night....in three man divisions randoms are fun.....in five or six man divisions it would be epic. 

I am a solo player by choice with a 56% WR in Randoms.  Thanks for insulting me and many other players who play solo.  I happen to like the challenge of solo play but also know that 3+ player divisions would result in runaway curb stomps.  No thank you.  

6 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I don't have any issues with that, catering to the anti social solo gamer who never plays in a division, who never makes any online friends dooms the game from the start. There is a REASON why games like World of Warcraft have been so successful for so long and it isn't the solo play.

More gratuitous insults for solo players.  Thanks so much.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,785
Members
9,958 posts
29 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

As this game stands the dominant battle mode is randoms. The problem with randoms is that it is a single player game that people play together. Yes you can division up with some friends but limiting it to just two is a mistake in my opinion. The FUN in this game comes from playing it together with friends. I know we have clan battles but you screwed that up so much that it is not really fun due to limited numbers, limited classes....you are forcing our customers to consume the game the way you want them to not the may the vast majority would want to. Yes there are operations, they are fun to do but repeating content over and over again is a recipe for boredom. Playing randoms as a solo player is about the worst gaming experience in a game built around randoms as the centerpiece. Having larger divisions say five or six ships would actually make randoms fun and engaging, all the toxicity in chat wouldn't matter because we could be playing together, working together in Teamspeak or Discord, actually having fun....which seems to be something wargaming discourages in this game. If you had larger divisions are were not at the mercy of hoping your teammates can play the game will make the randoms FUN and you might actually keep players around. I have played on and off since closed beta, but right now I just don't have any interest in playing this game by myself. Expand division's and let us play 12v12 against real people instead of the god awful clan battles format or repetitive operations. 

Trolling for laughs?:cap_cool:

The obvious fix to this is to bring back Team battles in a small team format, 4-5 players. The kind of teams you are looking for, people able to form outside of the clan structure and remove divisions completely.

 

Edited by awiggin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
7 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I don't have any issues with that, catering to the anti social solo gamer who never plays in a division, who never makes any online friends dooms the game from the start. There is a REASON why games like World of Warcraft have been so successful for so long and it isn't the solo play.

The difference here is that WoW is largely PvE based. If the worse guilds in WoW only got good loot if they finished the raid faster than the better guilds, that game would be long dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,784
[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
13 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Yep, people would have to adapt.....building your game around the lowest common denominator, the low skilled, low IQ solo player is not a good way to build a stable game population. The way it is now, the game has constant turnover which leads to the mess we have in randoms now. I would rather just play with friends every night....in three man divisions randoms are fun.....in five or six man divisions it would be epic. 

No, they'd be an epic disaster for solo players.  Might as well call them "screw the solo player" divisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,784
[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
15 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I don't have any issues with that, catering to the anti social solo gamer who never plays in a division, who never makes any online friends dooms the game from the start. There is a REASON why games like World of Warcraft have been so successful for so long and it isn't the solo play.

Great job, insulting solo players by calling them anti-social.  Do you think you could be any more insulting or offensive if you tried harder? 

Seriously, this is the kind of extrovert bigotry and hatred that us introverts have to face every day of our lives.  :cap_viking:

Edited by Crucis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
180
[INTEL]
Members
638 posts
7,548 battles
17 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I don't have any issues with that, catering to the anti social solo gamer who never plays in a division, who never makes any online friends dooms the game from the start. There is a REASON why games like World of Warcraft have been so successful for so long and it isn't the solo play.

This is discriminatory against people ships with no friends and would create an unsafe game environment for my ship.  And she's on the verge of being triggered at the moment. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,402
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,513 posts
4,387 battles

So basically you just want WG to let you bring more mates to bully seals harder.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,720
[TBW]
Members
6,395 posts
12,011 battles

I am with you on this OP, should be able to have a 12 man division. It would definitely weed out some players from the game though. I would really like to see a mode where I can play against people of my choosing (generally friends).

Maybe new battle modes, Division Randoms (you can run with any sized division), and Pure Randoms (no divisions)

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,550
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
3 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I am a solo player by choice with a 56% WR in Randoms.  Thanks for insulting me and many other players who play solo.  I happen to like the challenge of solo play but also know that 3+ player divisions would result in runaway curb stomps.  No thank you.  

More gratuitous insults for solo players.  Thanks so much.  

I am not trying to insult you. All I am saying is that for a multiple player game solo players don't do much for the long term health of a game population. Take the Battlefield franchise. When Battlefield Two came out the community knew that it was a teamwork based game. There were no solo players, than COD got HUGE and the COD kiddies started leaking into the Battlefield franchise and pretty much killed the game. You had the solo player who ignored the team and did whatever he wanted because he was playing for the individual badges. If you asked them to play the objective they would reply with my individual accomplishments is the objective. 

In my experience strictly solo players don't stay in one place very long, they are always on the chase for the newest shiny toy to play. Take World Of Warcraft for example there are people who have played it for 14 YEARS. None of them are solo players...people who develop friends in game and have a sub community within the game in the form of a clan or guild will continue to play a game because of the fun they have with their friends not necessarily the game itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,550
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Great job, insulting solo players by calling them anti-social.  Do you think you could be any more insulting or offensive if you tried harder? 

Seriously, this is the kind of extrovert bigotry and hatred that us introverts have to face every day of our lives.  :cap_viking:

That is a bunch of crap, in REAL LIFE I am a huge introvert. It is far easier for me to be relaxed and make internet friends than it is for me to talk to people in real life. As a real introvert these games provide an escape from the real world where I can be the kind of person I wish I had the courage to be in real life.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×