You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

Focus Firing on Enemy Ships

25 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,051 posts

About every four or five game in my  Missouri  I get focus fired and yet even when called for  almost every team I've been on declines to the last person..................................Why?   When it works so well,   The only answer I can come up with is a selfish one  IE  I  (speaking for the decliners here)   don't wanna share points and or lose the chance to be the one that destroyed a ship.........................Is that the answer is it that they are unwilling to share or give up a chance at an achievement?    Even for a win?

• Funny 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,059 posts
3,928 battles

I dunno...it could be that many just dont happen to have/have good firing angles on the target in question?

I know very often when I hear those calls when I swing my guns over the target is presenting a bad target angle for me, is blocked by terrain, or is out of range. It could be this for your teammates....or it could be they are just too focused on whatever they happen to be locked on to.

[ALPHA]
Members
180 posts
4,227 battles

This is a game of individuals. I would suggest running ranked and clan battles vice random and co-op. The only way to successfully get people to listen to you is start the match off with suggestions and direction. If you are bottom tier, no one will listen to you unless someone sees you have the skills (read stats) to backup your request or direction. If you insist on running ransoms, div up. 

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,043 posts

I can only assume they are more interested in personal kills than victory. Some of the events that are put on reward kills. I believe that this is an unfortunate choice on WG's part.

The simplest way to victory is to put reds on the bottom. It denies the red team options and protects your team from 8% of the enemy. Don't  concern your self about who did the last bit of damage.

The most powerful tool you have to put a red on the bottom is called focused fire. The more members of your team, that are targeting an enemy, the faster the red gets sunk.

The victorious team gets a 50% bonus to their experience.

Nuff said.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,247 posts
12,800 battles

You are expecting way too much from your teammates and reading way too much into what the enemy team does.

People will shoot at what is the easiest target for them. If you get focus fired a lot, you're apparently an easy target to the enemy team. And magically expecting serious team work to spontaneously happen at the press of a button is setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[DOG]
Members
438 posts
5,776 battles

I try to watch the chat window, but if I'm busy dodging fire/torpedoes and trying to stay alive it might be a while before I look at it.  I tend to prioritize A.)  Ships that are almost dead, B.)  ships that are broadside to me.  There are other factors to consider, depending on what ship I'm driving.  If I have a ship with a long reload time for guns, and I have HE loaded, I probably won't bother to shoot at the ship that already has 4 fires going.  If I'm driving a BB with AP loaded, I'll prioritize cruisers over other BBs, since you get more bang for the buck, even if the cruiser is at full health and the BB is half dead.  This varies by range, of course, and by what caliber guns I have.

Members
333 posts
3,414 battles

Depending on the ship, it may be a range issue, caused by short range (Atlanta I'm looking at you) or by positioning and blocking obstacles like islands.  Or then again it could just be your teammate and their focus on what they have zoomed in on, to the exclusion of everything else.  

As for being the subject of focus fire from the red team, you'll need to look at where you are and try to plan a little better next time.  Clevelands, like other CLs tend to like to hide and shoot, but we average players could learn a lot from them, such as don't sail out in front of a lot of red ships.  And if I do, then go silent and Do Not fire the guns, basically don't draw attention to yourself until I have found somewhere relatively safe, so everyone can't shoot at me at once.  You'd be surprised how well that works, not being noticed is how cruisers and DDs work best.  But BBs can learn these lessons also.  

Some of my worst problems stem from being too focused on what I'm doing and not looking at the mini-map (and watching chat), I really need to take my own advice.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
949 posts
10,426 battles
1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

About every four or five game in my  Missouri  I get focus fired and yet even when called for  almost every team I've been on declines to the last person..................................Why?   When it works so well,   The only answer I can come up with is a selfish one  IE  I  (speaking for the decliners here)   don't wanna share points and or lose the chance to be the one that destroyed a ship.........................Is that the answer is it that they are unwilling to share or give up a chance at an achievement?    Even for a win?

Just because you have good firing angles or someone and you call out a target, it doesn't mean everyone on your team also have good firing angles on that target. 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I think most people are going to concentrate their fire on the ship that is the biggest threat to them. So sometimes focused fire happens naturally, as someone has made themselves a big threat to multiple people. It also tends to mean that ships who aren't being passive are going to continue focusing on their own biggest threat. Which leaves ships in relative safety to help focus fire. But how often are they in position to do that?

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,051 posts
1 hour ago, Lert said:

You are expecting way too much from your teammates and reading way too much into what the enemy team does.

People will shoot at what is the easiest target for them. If you get focus fired a lot, you're apparently an easy target to the enemy team. And magically expecting serious team work to spontaneously happen at the press of a button is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Missouri BB  Radar Ship going up to support capping that's wrong???

[HINON]
Supertester
19,247 posts
12,800 battles
2 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Now you're putting words into my mouth. Please point out where I said that your intentions or positioning are wrong.

• Cool 1

[ALPHA]
Members
180 posts
4,227 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Now you're putting words into my mouth. Please point out where I said that your intentions or positioning are wrong.

It’s ok Lert. Some people read what they want to read, never seeing the forest through the trees or victimizing themselves for their own mistakes, a la charging a cap in an otherwise squishy BB, thinking the entire team halfway across the map is going to support you, or that all powerful radar shall save your otherwise squishy and large juicy target boat. 

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,843 battles
2 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

Automatically assume that all of your teammates in randoms are deaf, blind, and have an IQ of about 9. That will set the appropriate level of expectations for randoms. 

• Funny 2

Beta Testers
1,158 posts
5,295 battles

You have to take into account the position of the ship you want to focus down in relationship to your fleet.  For example I wouldn't pass up the chance to punish a board side CA, just because you called for me to focus down a BB that is 15km+ away and angled in to me.  Plus you have to look at target of opportunity that suddenly pop up that are more important.  I would rather try and kill a DD that just popped up then fire upon a BB.

Your target just may not actually be the best target for the other players to engage at that time.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,043 posts
7 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Automatically assume that all of your teammates in randoms are deaf, blind, and have an IQ of about 9. That will set the appropriate level of expectations for randoms. 

It is well established that the IQ of a group can be established by taking the sum of the individuals IQs and dividing by the square of the number of members in the group.

• Funny 1

Members
1,610 posts
3,573 battles
33 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Okay look,  as an aggressive BB player I can tell you that this is going to happen to you every single time.  You are the easiest to see target,  you are the easiest to hit target,  and DD's are going to be screaming for their team to sink anything with radar.  The Missouri also has a reputation at this point that puts her right around Yamato and Musashi levels of priority.  

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,051 posts
32 minutes ago, Lert said:

Sorry misstated

28 minutes ago, agrims said:

It’s ok Lert. Some people read what they want to read, never seeing the forest through the trees or victimizing themselves for their own mistakes, a la charging a cap in an otherwise squishy BB, thinking the entire team halfway across the map is going to support you, or that all powerful radar shall save your otherwise squishy and large juicy target boat. 

20 minutes ago, Bril01 said:

You have to take into account the position of the ship you want to focus down in relationship to your fleet.  For example I wouldn't pass up the chance to punish a board side CA, just because you called for me to focus down a BB that is 15km+ away and angled in to me.  Plus you have to look at target of opportunity that suddenly pop up that are more important.  I would rather try and kill a DD that just popped up then fire upon a BB.

Your target just may not actually be the best target for the other players to engage at that time.

I do try for CA's last game was a  Baltimore  however   I try to shoot  BB's as well just never did see how or hanging back at spawn point  as 70-90 %  of all the BB's  who end up on my teams do,   And I don't charge to cap with my ship I move up on my side and try to support the capping

[ALPHA]
Members
180 posts
4,227 battles
6 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Sorry misstated

I do try for CA's last game was a  Baltimore  however   I try to shoot  BB's as well just never did see how or hanging back at spawn point  as 70-90 %  of all the BB's  who end up on my teams do,   And I don't charge to cap with my ship I move up on my side and try to support the capping

Look mate, all we are trying to tell you is, to put it bluntly, you are looking for too much support from individuals in game modes that support and reward selfish play. Also, it sounds like from your last statement you’re pushing up too fast in your ship in a meta that won’t support said push. Try this: hang back more at the beginning, take opportune shots, disappear, read the minimap, reposition yourself, then do gods will. Big Mo and Iowa, if played right and with that very tactic will reward your play with way above average wins, like 65% and over, and big damage to boot. Playing to that end is what you want. And catching cruisers broadside at 12.5-14km is the best feeling ever. If you want solid team play take up an interest in ranked, cb, or div’ing up with people you played well with in randoms. Oh and o7 Skipper!

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,051 posts
11 minutes ago, agrims said:

Look mate, all we are trying to tell you is, to put it bluntly, you are looking for too much support from individuals in game modes that support and reward selfish play. Also, it sounds like from your last statement you’re pushing up too fast in your ship in a meta that won’t support said push. Try this: hang back more at the beginning, take opportune shots, disappear, read the minimap, reposition yourself, then do gods will. Big Mo and Iowa, if played right and with that very tactic will reward your play with way above average wins, like 65% and over, and big damage to boot. Playing to that end is what you want. And catching cruisers broadside at 12.5-14km is the best feeling ever. If you want solid team play take up an interest in ranked, cb, or div’ing up with people you played well with in randoms. Oh and o7 Skipper!

TY  unfortunately at this time of day my friends/clanmates aren't on yet,  As for Ranked well so far that isn't back up yet and Clan Wars not enuff of the have tier 10's nor am I sure they'd try that anyway......OK  thanks for thadvice

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,051 posts
3 hours ago, Lert said:

Gave you some upvotes as an apology for the way I phrased it Lert

[HINON]
Supertester
19,247 posts
12,800 battles
1 minute ago, shadowsrmine said:

Gave you some upvotes as an apology for the way I phrased it Lert

NP. No harm done anyways.

• Cool 1

Members
18,293 posts
5,226 battles
3 hours ago, BBsquid said:

I dunno...it could be that many just dont happen to have/have good firing angles on the target in question?

I know very often when I hear those calls when I swing my guns over the target is presenting a bad target angle for me, is blocked by terrain, or is out of range. 

This is usually why I don't fire at the called target.

Also, any one player could have an imminent threat to deal with, or even think (rightly or otherwise) that the call for focus fire is on the wrong ship, having what they perceive as a more important target in mind.

In a nutshell, the issue with this game isn't so much that everybody's an idiot, but that everybody is free to do what they think is best, with nobody having overall authority.

• Cool 1

[DFNT]
Members
73 posts
2,422 battles

The Missouri is just one of those ships that is a priority target. If it's one of the first 4 or 5 ships spotted, that really exacerbates the issue. 

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,051 posts

The other thing that get's   me down 3/4's of the time  50% of the team I'm on either won't fight just sit in the  back or give up right away:Smile_facepalm::Smile_sad:

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1