Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Indianapolis Marathon - Was It Worth It?

63 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,019
[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles

People were saying terrible things about this ship from the moment the Marathon was announced, and I told myself "Well at least it's free; and if nothing else, getting the ship will prove that I'm capable of completing an event like this" (which was more or less why I did it in the first place). And I did. But I've been feeling more than a bit burnt out in the aftermath, can't put in a good game to save myself, and I got to wondering at times what it had all been for.

Then Jingles goes and puts this up...

...and yeah, I know it's the driver and not the ship, and I know the circumstances favoured him well... but man, if an Indy in the right hands can do this, the effort I put in to win mine was not wasted.

You can tell me this ship is a lemon all you like, but I will never, ever believe you again after this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[SRBL]
Members
122 posts

I actually like the ship (got 25 of the 26 missions to win it) and I found that it's helped me play my Balti better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38
[FAITH]
Members
200 posts
3,951 battles

Was an easy 7 mil credits, didn’t even have to go outa my way to geddit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,019
[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles
3 minutes ago, Tom_Greg said:

got 25 of the 26 missions to win it

Let me guess, you missed the 1750 Base XP mission? I suspect most of us who got 25 will have missed that one.

I actually quite like mine too (she's already retrained one captain), but I really appreciated this affirmation of what the ship can do when driven well in a favourable situation.

Baltimore will be my next US cruiser, and Indy's ideal both to train my New Orleans captain for it and to retrain him for the Buffalo later. 3 x 3 8 inch and radar makes for good commonality of experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67
[USCG]
Members
208 posts
13,012 battles

Received my Indianapolis in a Santa crate last year. Like all the other US cruisers, strong guns, no armor. Have had great games in her and have been deleted in a single salvo by a BB 3/4s the way across the map. Prefer tech tree Fiji and Myoko to the Indianapolis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,463
[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,129 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

People were saying terrible things about this ship from the moment the Marathon was announced, and I told myself "Well at least it's free; and if nothing else, getting the ship will prove that I'm capable of completing an event like this" (which was more or less why I did it in the first place). And I did. But I've been feeling more than a bit burnt out in the aftermath, can't put in a good game to save myself, and I got to wondering at times what it had all been for.

Then Jingles goes and puts this up...

...and yeah, I know it's the driver and not the ship, and I know the circumstances favoured him well... but man, if an Indy in the right hands can do this, the effort I put in to win mine was not wasted.

You can tell me this ship is a lemon all you like, but I will never, ever believe you again after this.

Indy is a capable ship, but definitely not for everyone.  There are definitely much better cruiser options at T7.

Who is this madman Ace character anyway?  All luck, no skill.... :Smile_glasses:

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

I like the ship for two reasons. If I happen to visit the premium store and look at the list price. She isn't a cheap ship compared to prior "free" ships. More importantly though, if you have just the slightest amount of a good team, she can rock. 

The "problem" i have with her and many other favorites are the missions/campaigns/bonuses/firesales whatever.... that are tier 8 - 10. I have a lot of ships in the 5 through 7 tiers i really enjoy but do not have time to play as I'm striving to complete those 8-10 "missions". It's irritating.

You get a new ship, want to play her but no, wrong tier. Kinda dark alley thinking if you were to ask me. 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[SRBL]
Members
122 posts
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Let me guess, you missed the 1750 Base XP mission? I suspect most of us who got 25 will have missed that one.

I actually quite like mine too (she's already retrained one captain), but I really appreciated this affirmation of what the ship can do when driven well in a favourable situation.

Baltimore will be my next US cruiser, and Indy's ideal both to train my New Orleans captain for it and to retrain him for the Buffalo later. 3 x 3 8 inch and radar makes for good commonality of experience.

I actually got the 1750, I missed the 1st finish in the top 3 in EX challenge. 

I already researched the Buffalo and I'm waiting to build up the Balti captain before purchasing. I'm actually having a lot of fun with the Balti so I'm presently in no hurry. I've gotten 2 krakens in the past few days and a ton of xp and fxp so it's been enjoyable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,019
[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles
8 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

All luck, no skill.... :Smile_glasses:

Yeah, well... you can have lucky games, true, but if you can't make opportunities and take advantage of them with good shooting, it's all for naught.

8 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

There are definitely much better cruiser options at T7.

True, but this one is at least capable. And that's good to know.

4 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

If I happen to visit the premium store and look at the list price. She isn't a cheap ship compared to prior "free" ships.

Neither is Duke of York, whatever her faults. Alas, wasn't good enough to get that one.

4 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

if you have just the slightest amount of a good team,

I seem to have been lacking in that for the entirety of this week, regardless of ship. I go in b**ls-deep with friendly ships seemingly right behind me, and l look up a few minutes later to find them dead, hiding or fleeing, our score down by over 400 points, and me in a situation from which there is no escape.

2 minutes ago, Tom_Greg said:

I've gotten 2 krakens in the past few days and a ton of xp and fxp so it's been enjoyable. 

So you're the thieving bastard who's been stealing all my luck, then! :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,488
[O_O]
Members
4,427 posts
9,595 battles

For a free ship, Indianapolis isn't bad at all!  I won mine before this event, so it was free credits for me.  The loot in the Cruisers crates was a nice bonus, even if I didn't get one of the rare premium ship personal missions.  The only ships from those missions I wanted were Atlanta and Kidd, and I ended up buying Atlanta for 50% off, anyway.

Any tier 7 ship WG is willing to give away is a win for us players, in my book.  I'll gladly take all they offer.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,324
[PVE]
Members
5,645 posts
18,236 battles

Meh, I already had the ship so the only stuff I was interested in was oil and crate contents. Did not get anything of note from the crates, totally forgettable prizes, but on the upside, when I got a crate & the oil, I did not have to keep playing for the second daily crate to get the oil I normally play for. All in all was just another sad, boring event. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,019
[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles
5 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

All in all was just another sad, boring event. 

From the number of battles you've fought, it looks like you've been in the game long enough to become jaded. "Oh, here's another event that newer players will find incredibly difficult. Yawn, bang bang, torps away, done." It's not that easy for some of us.

10 minutes ago, Weapon_of_Proliferation said:

I doubt I will ever again touch this steaming pile of pixels.

The words "It's not the ship, it's you" seem to suggest themselves. (In my case, I KNOW it's me. I am fully aware of how much I suck.)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HINON]
Members
2,273 posts
6,366 battles

I found it worth it for all the boxes it gave me, Indy herself is a Port Queen for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
296
[WOLF2]
Members
1,395 posts
13,097 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

From the number of battles you've fought, it looks like you've been in the game long enough to become jaded. "Oh, here's another event that newer players will find incredibly difficult. Yawn, bang bang, torps away, done." It's not that easy for some of us.

The words "It's not the ship, it's you" seem to suggest themselves. (In my case, I KNOW it's me. I am fully aware of how much I suck.)

OK you just contradicted yourself there a little bit :) 

If the OP who won a free ship is unimpressed, just imagine how everyone who already had the ship must feel 

23 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Meh, I already had the ship so the only stuff I was interested in was oil and crate contents. Did not get anything of note from the crates, totally forgettable prizes, but on the upside, when I got a crate & the oil, I did not have to keep playing for the second daily crate to get the oil I normally play for. All in all was just another sad, boring event. 

Kind of have to agree … even though with fewer battles I must be less jaded 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
457
[VW]
Members
1,946 posts
12,499 battles

Totally worth it, another us ship to earn free capn xp along with Miz. She earns decent credits and its always fun radaring the unwitting tier 5-7 dd not to mention citting nys!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
208 posts
4,947 battles
21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

 

The words "It's not the ship, it's you" seem to suggest themselves. (In my case, I KNOW it's me. I am fully aware of how much I suck.)

Let me assure you, it's the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,019
[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles
3 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

If the OP who won a free ship is unimpressed

I wasn't unimpressed; I was uncertain. 

Just now, Weapon_of_Proliferation said:

Let me assure you, it's the ship.

Not after someone's taken it out and killed ten out of twelve enemy ships with it. 

I ask myself, "What is the best this ship can do, in a good game, in good hands?" And this is good enough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,069
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,190 posts
11,707 battles

A good game does not a good ship make.  I've got a 140k damage game in the Krasny Krym.  Sunlight just shines on a dog's bum every once in a while.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
296
[WOLF2]
Members
1,395 posts
13,097 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I wasn't unimpressed; I was uncertain. 

Not after someone's taken it out and killed ten out of twelve enemy ships with it. 

I ask myself, "What is the best this ship can do, in a good game, in good hands?" And this is good enough for me.

So you trolled us all with your clickbait basically :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,019
[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles
1 minute ago, Commander_367 said:

So you trolled us all with your clickbait basically :)

My opinion was quite clear from the start if you looked at the tags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,069
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,190 posts
11,707 battles

it won the lottery in that game.  That's not reflective of it's true capabilities.  You're only lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,019
[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles
1 minute ago, crzyhawk said:

it won the lottery in that game.  That's not reflective of it's true capabilities.  You're only lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

All ships and players win the lottery from time to time (I even noted the fact in my original post), but it's good for the soul to see what can happen when they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
293
[H_]
Members
803 posts

A free ship and a marathon to get it was very well worth the time and effort!!  It gave me purpose; a mission.

I've focused on IJN ships....  The Marathon for the Aigle and Indy simply gave WoWs a "purpose" for me.  Something to work towards....  Which, is the one issues I still haven't figured out in WoWs yet: why play this game after a certain point?  To what end?

I can't wait till the next one.  For those of you that seriously helped accomplish the mission with you insights and shortcuts, thank you !  I missed 2 of the missions...  Again, thanks.  If the game had a marathon culture, I'd actually play more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×