You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Alsace after nerf

24 comments in this topic

Members
233 posts
4,631 battles

I know it's only been a little under 24 hrs but how would you rate the Alsace after the recent nerf? Has anyone played her a lot over the last 20 hrs and can give us some perspective on how much the nerf has really effected it's gameplay. I'm going to try her again myself in the next few days when I get the chance. PS: Is the 2 sec extra reload or the lower sigma more noticeable? TIA

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,249 battles

Saw one in a match, and it looked exactly the same.

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
559 posts

reload isnt really noticeable, but the sigma nerf certainly was.

number of clean misses at <10km range on stationary targets was .... well, a lot.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,587 posts
25,725 battles

once you get in close, it doesn't matter...

[BROOK]
Members
1,616 posts
14 minutes ago, Dareios said:

reload isnt really noticeable, but the sigma nerf certainly was.

number of clean misses at <10km range on stationary targets was .... well, a lot.

Sounds like it's the new Roma!

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,126 posts
14,528 battles

French BBs trash!

"My Alsace missed a salvo, thanks Obama WG!"

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[STW]
Members
291 posts
6,476 battles

NERF the reload and the accuracy.... certainly a effective way of getting players to not play a ship.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,928 battles
3 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I know it's only been a little under 24 hrs but how would you rate the Alsace after the recent nerf? Has anyone played her a lot over the last 20 hrs and can give us some perspective on how much the nerf has really effected it's gameplay. I'm going to try her again myself in the next few days when I get the chance. PS: Is the 2 sec extra reload or the lower sigma more noticeable? TIA

I dont have the Alsace but I really can't see how a 2 sec diff to reload and a .1 drop to sigma impacting a ship all that much. Im sure the ship is just fine after the perceived nerfageddon.

While they are at it...FdGross could use a little love and a minor tweak. That boat is horrible.

Edited by BBsquid

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,858 posts
10,641 battles

The reload isn't a deal breaker especially if using the reload mod as it is still under 30 sec (28.2 now as I recall). If this was ALL they did I could live with it even if feeling it was not needed. But the sigma nerf already made a ship that was like a shotgun worse. It is now like Stevie Wonder is standing on the bow throwing rocks at stuff.

This nerf has done exactly to Alsace what the nerf to Konig did; ruin a good (not OP - GOOD) and fun ship. There was absolutely no need for the nerf whatsoever. For the life of me I couldn't understand WG doing it until someone brought up the WIP Jean Bart and needing it to be better than the Alsace and that is it I think.

This wasn't a nerf to Alsace as much as it was a buff to JB. Sadly they killed a truly fun ship with this nerf. It was most decidedly not fun to play when I tried it a few games yesterday missing left and right, long and short, because the shells land everywhere but center/where you point. We are talking Fuso/NM levels of awful here for accuracy at a tier where the other BB's have excellent accuracy. Even FDG was more accurate than Alsace was and for sure more accurate than how it is now.

1 hour ago, BBsquid said:

I dont have the Alsace but I really can't see how a 2 sec diff to reload and a .1 drop to sigma impacting a ship all that much. Im sure the ship is just fine after the perceived nerfageddon.

While they are at it...FdGross could use a little love and a minor tweak. That boat is horrible.

Trust me as someone who has played the ship a lot this was a big change for the worse. What you are missing, because you haven't played the ship, is it was NOT OP or broken prior to the nerf. It was just good overall but the guns (accuracy and size) were one of it's weaker aspects. The accuracy was just pretty bad prior to the enrf and now it is god awful. Everyone focuses on it having 12 guns but forgets they are the smallest by far of the T9's with the lowest damage. So even if you hit more you still did avg or even less damage than fewer shells from bigger guns. Now you have even a harder time hitting with it.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,928 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

The reload isn't a deal breaker especially if using the reload mod as it is still under 30 sec (28.2 now as I recall). If this was ALL they did I could live with it even if feeling it was not needed. But the sigma nerf already made a ship that was like a shotgun worse. It is now like Stevie Wonder is standing on the bow throwing rocks at stuff.

This nerf has done exactly to Alsace what the nerf to Konig did; ruin a good (not OP - GOOD) and fun ship. There was absolutely no need for the nerf whatsoever. For the life of me I couldn't understand WG doing it until someone brought up the WIP Jean Bart and needing it to be better than the Alsace and that is it I think.

This wasn't a nerf to Alsace as much as it was a buff to JB. Sadly they killed a truly fun ship with this nerf. It was most decidedly not fun to play when I tried it a few games yesterday missing left and right, long and short, because the shells land everywhere but center/where you point. We are talking Fuso/NM levels of awful here for accuracy at a tier where the other BB's have excellent accuracy. Even FDG was more accurate than Alsace was and for sure more accurate than how it is now.

Trust me as someone who has played the ship a lot this was a big change for the worse. What you are missing, because you haven't played the ship, is it was NOT OP or broken prior to the nerf. It was just good overall but the guns (accuracy and size) were one of it's weaker aspects. The accuracy was just pretty bad prior to the enrf and now it is god awful. Everyone focuses on it having 12 guns but forgets they are the smallest by far of the T9's with the lowest damage. So even if you hit more you still did avg or even less damage than fewer shells from bigger guns. Now you have even a harder time hitting with it.

Im gonna take your word for it, Admiral. On paper, the numbers don't look bad, but I have no experience with the ship so....

Are you SURE FdG was MORE accurate than Alsace? To me, she (FdG) seems exceptionally inaccurate...like broken inaccurate at times. Even for KM dispersion, she is just baaad.

[SVF]
Members
952 posts
1,286 battles
1 hour ago, BBsquid said:

Are you SURE FdG was MORE accurate than Alsace? To me, she (FdG) seems exceptionally inaccurate...like broken inaccurate at times. Even for KM dispersion, she is just baaad.

Prior to the nerf, both FdG and Alsace had the same max range and max dispersion values, but FdG had a better sigma value (1.8 to Alsace's 1.7 IIRC).

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,928 battles
35 minutes ago, landcollector said:

Prior to the nerf, both FdG and Alsace had the same max range and max dispersion values, but FdG had a better sigma value (1.8 to Alsace's 1.7 IIRC).

Thanks LandCollector...I just had a very informative chat on the strengths and weaknesses of FdG and Alsace before and after nerf. I think I wasnt seeing the issue because 1) I dont have her, and 2) two of my clan mates have her and seem to do very well in her, yet they also despise FdG as much as I do.

Probably bias-centric. I loved Bismarck, and assumed FdG would be a step beyond her. Was I sadly disappointed. IMO there isnt a worse BB in game.

Edit: in my defense, the few times Ive played her Ive been drinking, and I generally dislike her. That dislike likely influences my experience with her quite a bit

Edited by BBsquid

[--V--]
Members
499 posts
10,756 battles
5 hours ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Thanks WG for turning the gem of the French BB line into trash.

WG tends to do that to good, fun ships.  Mogami was fun,,,, nerfed to port queen.  IJN DDs,,,, I only play the Kamikaze now.  Etc Etc.  The list is long.

[SUCIT]
Members
827 posts
3,628 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

It is now like Stevie Wonder is standing on the bow throwing rocks at stuff.

My mental imagery of that is absolutely hysterical.  Thanks for that early morning laugh.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,858 posts
10,641 battles
12 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

My mental imagery of that is absolutely hysterical.  Thanks for that early morning laugh.

I live but to please. :Smile_teethhappy:

[O_O]
Members
124 posts
12,061 battles

Before nerf I had 290 battles in her.  I performed quite well with the ship (for me at least).  Main battery hit was at 28%.  54% Win rate in her (really good for me) I've played about 6 matches in her after the nerf and I can really feel the sigma change.  This affected ranged flanking shots (ie how you want to play her, IMHO).  I have her setup as a Secondary build for brawling when needed.  Sigma really does not seem to hurt at close range, but the additional 2 seconds reload time really matters at close range with other faster firing ships making BBQs and such on her deck.

Also, not much data so far but my Main battery hit is already down 1% with only 6 games played.  

TLDR;  I personally believe She was over nerfed, seems to be punished for playing her properly.  I don't really believe she was OP before the nerf, just a good ship if played correctly.  On the plus side moving to the Republique seems less like a crapshow now.  :)

Supertester
1,464 posts
16 battles
9 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Konig is still bloody awesome. I only played it after the nerf, and suffice to say, if Konig had her 2.0 sigma instead of 1.8, she would safely be overpowered. Cesare has 1.9, and is widely regarded as too good. Konig is quite similar in ways, just being slower and tougher, with a higher RoF. A 0.2 sigma nerf could hardly ruin her. With Nassau now getting a nerf, only Kaiser is left out of the low tier German BBs that is still arguably overpowered. Can't see it happening though, if it took this long to get Nassau tuned down.

As for Alsace, I can't believe the hype about the nerf being this bad. She was rather overpowered beforehand, and was nerfed before release, and still ended up being arguably too good. The accuracy nerf doesn't matter as much, I'd be more concerned about the reload and shortcomings that can bring. I'll see when I eventually get down the French BB line, but honestly, Alsace deserved some sort of nerf. How Lyon hasn't got nerfed though, I don't know. 

• Bad 1

[NUTTS]
Members
35 posts
4,315 battles

As someone who loved the Alsace prior to nerfing I’m honestly just considering getting rid of it now. What’s the point in having a ship just sit there in the port that’ll never be played. It’s beyond inaccurate now, it Honestly feels like I’m playing a tier 5 or 6 Japanese BB which is just wonderful considering %95 percent of my matches I’m playing at least 3 tier 10 BB. The dispersion on the rounds is now so broken the ship is just no longer fun to play. I’ve played probably close to 20 battles in it since the nerf thinking maybe “I just need to get used to it” there is no getting used to it. I guess getting it post nerf and never knowing what it once was you’d still think it was a good ship but having had it for about 4 months it’s  just no longer a viable ship for 9-10 games which is where it almost always lands. I’ll never understand the logic of war gaming in breaking this ship as bad as they have. How can you take the Alsace, drop the accuracy, up the reload but yet the yamato is getting faster reload, faster turrets and less dispersion with the legendary upgrade. A ship I see 8 out of 10 games in the Alsace. Sure he Yamato has a weak citadel, it’s not meant for brawling but the Alsace Isn’t either but now if I actually want to hit something with my guns I have to be well under 14 km or I’m just missing left, right, short and long. I’m sorry wargaming but you guys [edited] this one in a VERY BAD WAY. I guess it’s just time to get rid of the Alsace and go back to the republic. At least those guns can actually hit something 12km away. I won’t go back to the Alsace unless the revert it back nor will I be buying the jean bart. Why buy something that’s more than likely going to be just as broken and inaccurate, it’d be nothing more than a waster of money. This nerf was done solely because of the little cry babies who would sit broadside and cry at the occasional double citadel for sitting dead stop broadside. People who’ve never gotten the ship. Always great when WG listens to the 5 percent of whiners who won’t stick around in the game instead of the 95 percent of commited players who’ve been around for years. So thanks for reducing  a clearly not OP ship to a hunk of port art. You’ve really messed up on this one. 

[NET]
Beta Testers
457 posts
3,830 battles

well dont feel so bad about it because the 'buff" to Izumo did little to ease the pain of playing her. still gets lit on fire like a dried up xmas tree. still slow as a turd.

Beta Testers
2,987 posts
4,406 battles

i think it all depends on how we see it.

for example,to me gneisenau is "accurate" to german standards. 

alsace is already a ship with shotgun accuracy,nerfing 0.1 sigma might hurt some people but it's still shotgun ship.

TLDR- did it get worse?perhaps,but the ship remains the same,konig still have good armor and i see them a lot when fighting with superior oct rev and giulio cesare.

Members
156 posts
12,496 battles
On 7/26/2018 at 2:55 AM, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Thanks WG for turning the gem of the French BB line into trash.

Perhaps not complete trash, but it certainly has degraded its ability to inflict damage at medium to long range...