You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Brawling BB's vs sniping BB's

11 comments in this topic

Members
230 posts
4,613 battles

I'm looking at purchasing either the Republique or the Montana. I tend to like brawling with my BB's and I've heard that the Republique doesn't have the armor to do that even though it has very good secondaries. Is the Montana something you can get in under 10 km and  survive a battle? She apparently has decent secondaries for a usn BB at least before the Mass came along. Is my take on on both ships correct or are there large things that I'm missing?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,446 posts
11,741 battles

Republique has ridiculous secondaries, AFT and BFT with secondary module. Coupled with really good AS.

23 second reload on big guns....

Yup I brawl in her. Flank in her and push destroyers into nervous breakdowns.

Not to mention 23 km citadel salvos...

She is my favorite T10 BB. Of course my only other one is a Yammy.

Members
1,019 posts
13,047 battles

Well you can certainly bring your Montana in to 10Km but surviving a battle depends on a lot of different factors, many of which have nothing to do with the ship.

I don't own the Republique but I do know that when I take out my Montana they don't scare me at all. They're just big damage cows that need to be milked. I'd worry about a Yamato or another Montana before worrying about the Republique.

Supertester
33 posts
8,633 battles

If you are relying on secondaries, then why not GK? None of them are true brawlers. And the Republique is not good at pushing due to the turret load out and garbage armor. I would suggest you playing the monty first, she is really a good BB that can do EVERYTHING. 

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

Agreed with posters above,  if you want a dedicated brawler German BBs/GK is the way to go. Be warned though the tier X meta is not overly friendly to brawling BBs.

Republique and Montana are both fine ships though.

[ENDVR]
Members
410 posts
5,326 battles
2 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Republique has ridiculous secondaries, AFT and BFT with secondary module. Coupled with really good AS.

23 second reload on big guns....

Yup I brawl in her. Flank in her and push destroyers into nervous breakdowns.

Not to mention 23 km citadel salvos...

She is my favorite T10 BB. Of course my only other one is a Yammy.

Wholeheartedly agree with this.  Even better, you can make a secondary build and still do the sniping part until you get comfortable with the ship enough to start bringing her purposefully to within 12km. Added bonus, The secondary build (AFT/BFT, range module) also brings your AA to levels that make you significantly less worried about CVs.

Although, I do also want me a Montana for its heavier broadside. 

I love shooting rifles, but sometimes you just want to unleash a shotgun.

• Cool 1

[-BSS-]
Members
394 posts
6,245 battles

Brawling B.B. isn’t really a common thing at T10, in randoms there are too many ships on the map you don’t last long at close enegagements in any ship.  Brawlin situations extremely rare in T10 ranked or clan battles.  I would say brawling is a one way blaze of glory trip to the ocean floor most of the time.

i think lower tiers are the best time for brawling.

If you are really wanting to do T10 close encounters then Republique will give a better experience than Montana from my time in both ships.  Secondaries do very little damage at high tier despite the volumes of shells, the republic stands out with fast reload on big guns.  The Montana has to expose a lot of hull to get all its guns on target and the slow reload really can create a lot of tense waiting.

The best T10 brawler is the Des Moines :)

• Bad 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,069 posts
14,468 battles

In general combat, Montana.  Republique is the better pure brawler of the two.  But Montana's excellent guns make her viable at all practical BB engagement ranges.  I made a run-down of the US BB Line for someone not too long ago, but there's a very key set of unique features that Tier IX-X USN BBs have.  It is due to Slot 6 upgrade slot, APRM2, and how it does not interfere with AAGM2 to buff your AA.

Cute & Paste:

====

"The Uniqueness of Tier IX-X USN Battleships.  However, starting Tier IX, options open up greatly for USN BB players.  This is due to the availability of Slot 6 Upgrades and most importantly, access to APRM2 there.  APRM2 buffs Main Battery dispersion.  ASM1 buffs it by 6%, but APRM2 buffs it by 11%.  Do you know what this means?  This means that Iowa, Missouri, Montana can take an AA Build, take AAGM2, and still buff their Main Battery dispersion because APRM2 is in a completely different slot.  IX-X USN BBs are the only ships in the game that can do this.  There are other BBs at High Tier, that on paper, can have just as good or even better AA than USN BBs.  But they have to give up ASM1, SBM2 because AAGM2 is in the same slot as those.  For IX-X USN BBs, they get the best of both worlds.

Let me put it like this.  German, RN, French BBs, as well as Iowa, Missouri, Montana go to the local bakery.

Alsace, Republique walk home each with a cake labelled, "Secondaries," and have to live with less reliable guns and AA.

Bismarck, FDG, GK each walk home with a cake called, "Secondaries," and have to live with less reliable guns and AA.

Lion, Monarch walk home each with a cake called, "Anti-Aircraft," but their secondaries were always garbage and the Main Battery becomes a whole lot less reliable.

Conqueror walks home with a cake called, "Main Battery," but her secondaries were always garbage.  Her AA could be made absolutely lethal, but without AAGM2, they're not effective at all, even a Tier VIII CV will barely feel the AA, much less a Tier IX-X one.  As a Conqueror owner, without ASM1, she is a lot less dangerous to ships out there.

Then you got Iowa, Missouri, Montana.  They each walk home with 2 cakes at the same time.  One labelled "Anti-Aircraft" and the other, "Main Battery."

That is the uniqueness of IX-X USN Battleships.  At these tiers, other BBs have to make sacrifices for their build, USN BBs here get their Main Battery and AA Buffs."

====

If someone wants to brawl, Montana's 16"/50 x12 guns will still hurt them.

If someone wants to play at range, even a cheeky Cruiser, Montana's 16" x12 guns will still hurt them.

Montana's firepower does not lessen or grow worse with range.  The only things restricting her gunnery is the player (aim) and RNG.  Because outside of IJN 460mm, you will never find a better set of Battleship guns than USN 16"/50, and Montana has 12 of these d*mn things.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
724 posts
63 battles

Don't brawl. You will be left abandoned while your teammates reposition and thank you for keeping the enemy focused on something else.  :Smile_popcorn:

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,006 battles

If you want a brawler at T10, of these three ships (and I own all 3) I'd recommend a secondary build Republique.  Not great armor, but excellent secondaries.

However, I'd still suggest you get the Massachusetts and go all out on secondary build.  More fun than the Republique

[ONAVY]
Members
772 posts
6,284 battles

MONTANA = Death to all who oppose! Under about 15km she is devastating to cruisers and DD's. I use manual secondaries, with inertia fuse, and demolition expert, with a Mike Yankee Soxisix flag, all of which make the secondaries 9.1mile range very abusive to any ship that gets to close. Which allows you to use push in close with mains, on priority targets which you should have the module that tightens up your dispersion to land 12 rounds pretty tightly. I will take her over any BB in the game. Takes a punishing if hit with multiple torpedoes she can handle it. Only weakness is broadside.

ENJOY!

onavy.jpg.471715cedfc6ded59a05d1804d627ad8.jpg

Edited by C_D