You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
frontflip2cool

Remove Zao Torpedo Option NOW!!!!!!

104 comments in this topic

[-AH-]
Members
38 posts
3,133 battles

The Zao DIDN'T need those 12km torpedos. It was fine with the 8km ones as it was. The 12km's have turned it into more of a torping cruiser than a gun ship cruiser.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 25
  • Angry 1

[WOLF2]
Members
157 posts
4,731 battles

Nah man, IJN was known for the torps.  I feel like it keeps it closer to the national flavor.  Let it keep em, mixes us the play style now instead of spam HE at max range.

jmho

• Cool 4

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,857 posts
19,042 battles

Well now you have a choice as to how you want to play it .

• Cool 1

[-TC]
[-TC]
Members
302 posts
1,735 battles

tenor.gif

Somebody is ... look above.

I don't see what the big deal is.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
10,445 battles

So?

Torps have always been a staple of IJN cruisers, the 12k Torps just give the commander an option other than a suicide launch.

"Please show us on the doll where the naughty Zao Torps touched you ......."

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Bad 1

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
7 minutes ago, frontflip2cool said:

The Zao DIDN'T need those 12km torpedos. It was fine with the 8km ones as it was. The 12km's have turned it into more of a torping cruiser than a gun ship cruiser.

So are you tryin to get people mad at ya?

Clutch Move In Before The Lock GIF - ClutchMove InBeforeTheLock GIFs

• Funny 1

[TMS]
Members
1,726 posts
22,054 battles

The ZAO used to have 20km torps when it first came out so count your blessings.

• Cool 2

Members
542 posts
2,943 battles

Mogami and Ibuki could stealth torp. Zao was the odd guy out so they gave it the capability back with a greater buffer. Honestly I feel the ship as a whole kind of lost a lot of appeal with Hindenburger having similar firepower, way better ROF, much better range, much tankier hull, plus 6km hydro, so the change makes sense to give the Zao some flare back.

Edited by ksix

[LLF]
Beta Testers
157 posts

To be honest the Zao is not a stealthy ship and if it's within 12 km and you can see it you should suspect torpedoes are on their way especially if he suddenly as fully broadside to you and not immediately firing.  Plus on top of that you should be reading patch notes and know what ships are getting buffed and nerf and and take this into account and learn from it.

Members
542 posts
2,943 battles
5 minutes ago, Kuramitsu said:

To be honest the Zao is not a stealthy ship and if it's within 12 km and you can see it you should suspect torpedoes are on their way especially if he suddenly as fully broadside to you and not immediately firing.  Plus on top of that you should be reading patch notes and know what ships are getting buffed and nerf and and take this into account and learn from it.

Zao not stealthy? Until Worcester it was second only to Mino. Its 10km so this change allows it a 2km buffer to stealth torp. It basically can be played as a big DD which, as I said, is kind of a good thing as the boat as a whole has been powercreeped a bit.

Edited by ksix

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,214 battles

Why do people make threads like this and expect to be taken seriously? People wonder why I'm a jerk to so many people on the forum. I'd like to submit this topic as Exhibit A of the defense. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,214 battles
Just now, ksix said:

Zao not stealthy? Until Worcester it was second only to Mino. Its 10km so this change allows it a 2km buffer to stealth torp. It basically can be played as a big DD which, as I said, is kind of a good thing as everything else has been powercreeped a bit.

I think the "not that stealthy" bit might have less to do with the actual stealth level and more to do with the way the ship works. It's got a really slow reload, so you'll have to keep firing with it or else your damage output is going to go down really fast and Zao can't fire over islands as well as a lot of the other cruisers cause it has pretty flat arcs. Detection after firing an 8" gun added onto a ship that can't stop firing if it wants to do any damage and you get a ship that is going to be visible a lot, and probably not often going to want to be close enough to be torping.

Full disclosure - I don't have Zao. I'm about halfway through Ibuki. I'm just speculating here. Ibuki is a sneaky ship, and a flimsy one too, but I spend a lot of time in that ship in open water detected because of how it plays. Stealth is a lot less powerful when you can't stop firing long enough to put it to use.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

First off, it was always pretty strange that the tier 10 IJN CA had the shortest range torpedoes of any of them.   Even the tier 5 Furutaka has a 10 km torpedo option.  Sure, the F3 has great speed and damage, but those are far less valuable than having long enough range to enable a stealth launch.

And second, a modest buff to the Zao was not unreasonable.  The ship has basically just been a slightly worse Hindenburg for some time.  Giving it something interesting and useful that Hindenburg can't do (like stealth torpedo) is a good way to give the ship a distinctive flair and make it a bit more competitive.

[MKF]
Members
410 posts
15,088 battles

Leave my Zao alone. You probably hate pizza, rainbows and puppies as well. You make me sick.

• Funny 6

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
26 minutes ago, frontflip2cool said:

hey mighty senjo used to have 20km long lances torps

[DAKI]
Members
186 posts
7,341 battles

No, leave my new torps alone

I can play my Zao as a giant DD now 

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,243 posts
3,569 battles
Just now, MutsuKaiNi said:

No, leave my new torps alone

I can play my Zao as a giant DD now 

I have done that on multiple occasions now, it is quite fun.  I for one welcome our new Zao torpedo overlords.

[LLF]
Beta Testers
157 posts
37 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

I think the "not that stealthy" bit might have less to do with the actual stealth level and more to do with the way the ship works. It's got a really slow reload, so you'll have to keep firing with it or else your damage output is going to go down really fast and Zao can't fire over islands as well as a lot of the other cruisers cause it has pretty flat arcs. Detection after firing an 8" gun added onto a ship that can't stop firing if it wants to do any damage and you get a ship that is going to be visible a lot, and probably not often going to want to be close enough to be torping.

Full disclosure - I don't have Zao. I'm about halfway through Ibuki. I'm just speculating here. Ibuki is a sneaky ship, and a flimsy one too, but I spend a lot of time in that ship in open water detected because of how it plays. Stealth is a lot less powerful when you can't stop firing long enough to put it to use.

This is what I meant, apologies for the slight confusion I caused.

[FG]
Members
398 posts
3,711 battles

My issue is that the 12km torps are just completely superior to the 8km F3s now. There is no choice: you take the 12s or you are just limiting yourself.

She should have been given the Type 93 mod. 2 torps that the Ibuki gets. Similar damage and reload to the F3s, but you lose speed for 2km range.