You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GreatWyatt_1

An Intellectually poor man's argument

24 comments in this topic

[STRAT]
Members
9 posts
1,198 battles

Claiming you're right about a particular scenario in this game because you have better stats is a logical fallacy, and the fact that so many people use this to support their argument just goes to show just how staggeringly uneducated some people are.  Don't be that guy...it's cringeworthy. That is all..

Edited by GreatWyatt_1
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 1

Alpha Tester
5,103 posts
2,436 battles
14 minutes ago, GreatWyatt_1 said:

Claiming you're right about a particular scenario in this game because you have better stats is a logical fallacy, and the fact that so many people use this to support their argument just goes to show just how staggeringly uneducated some people are.  Don't be that guy...it's cringeworthy. That is all..

This suits you quite well right now.

[5D5]
Members
2,286 posts
14,362 battles

Sometimes you should listen to the advice of better players, for shame, it could possibly make you one too.

• Cool 1

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

I have more posts in the forum, therefore YOU, sir, are incorrect.

• Funny 3

[MOTIN]
Members
1,425 posts
3,375 battles
8 minutes ago, GreatWyatt_1 said:

Sorry I don't click on links.

In case you're wondering:

the fallacy fallacy

You presumed that because a claim has been poorly argued, or a fallacy has been made, that the claim itself must be wrong.

It is entirely possible to make a claim that is false yet argue with logical coherency for that claim, just as it is possible to make a claim that is true and justify it with various fallacies and poor arguments.

Example: Recognizing that Amanda had committed a fallacy in arguing that we should eat healthy food because a nutritionist said it was popular, Alyse said we should therefore eat bacon double cheeseburgers every day.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,216 battles
31 minutes ago, GreatWyatt_1 said:

The reason so many people use statistics to support their position is because it is a valid way to measure outcomes. Thinking that measurements can't be indicative of performance shows quite a staggering level deficient education. You're being your own "That guy." It's not cringeworthy though. It's "I wish I could just slap this guy on the mouth" worthy.

• Cool 3

[STRAT]
Members
9 posts
1,198 battles
9 minutes ago, clowlock said:

the fallacy fallacy

You presumed that because a claim has been poorly argued, or a fallacy has been made, that the claim itself must be wrong.

It is entirely possible to make a claim that is false yet argue with logical coherency for that claim, just as it is possible to make a claim that is true and justify it with various fallacies and poor arguments.

Example: Recognizing that Amanda had committed a fallacy in arguing that we should eat healthy food because a nutritionist said it was popular, Alyse said we should therefore eat bacon double cheeseburgers every day.

This is correct....

[MOTIN]
Members
1,425 posts
3,375 battles
3 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

The reason so many people use statistics to support their position is because it is a valid way to measure outcomes. Thinking that measurements can't be indicative of performance shows quite a staggering level deficient education. You're being your own "That guy." It's not cringeworthy though. It's "I wish I could just slap this guy on the mouth" worthy.

^^ This, it's ironic he claims that others are uneducated while thinking that stats can't be used to support an argument. (atleast in WoWs)

Edited by clowlock

[STRAT]
Members
9 posts
1,198 battles
2 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

Using stats to measure outcomes is valid if you are talking about gameplay itself involving 2 or more people in a competition. But your statement does nothing to prove my statement false in the least. So, I ask you...what the he!! are you talking about? lol

[STRAT]
Members
9 posts
1,198 battles
1 minute ago, clowlock said:

^^ This, it's ironic he claims that others are uneducated while he himself thinks that statistics are not a valid way to support an argument.

I LOL at you..

[STRAT]
Members
9 posts
1,198 battles
1 minute ago, clowlock said:

^^ This, it's ironic he claims that others are uneducated while he himself thinks that statistics are not a valid way to support an argument.

You really need to stop. Reread what I posted and realize you're making a fool of yourself.

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
13 minutes ago, clowlock said:

the fallacy fallacy

Amanda committed a fallacy....two at the same time or so I heard.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,262 battles
19 minutes ago, clowlock said:

we should therefore eat bacon double cheeseburgers every day.

Yes, we should!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,262 battles
4 minutes ago, GreatWyatt_1 said:

I agree!

In fact, I'm heading out to the Burger Barn right now; all this intellectual stuff has made me hungry!

• Funny 1

Members
4,558 posts
6,484 battles
15 minutes ago, Umikami said:

In fact, I'm heading out to the Burger Barn right now; all this intellectual stuff has made me hungry!

It is a fallacy and, moreover, a flaw in logic to think that intellectual banter can make you hungry. Where is your PROOF!  I demand proof. Scientific proof! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,059 posts
9,376 battles
Statistics: a branch of mathematics dealing with the collection, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of masses of numerical data
2 : a collection of quantitative data
   Now that we know what the definition is, the problem with using stats is in what is being collected, what is important to collect, how does it relate to the subject at hand.  For example many people claim win rate is how you measure one player against another, and for the most part, the better the player you are, the more likely you will help your team win, and then in the process increase your win percentage.  BUT this of course can be manipulated where a person that is a very good player takes their skill level to tier 5 with a Kami R, and feasts on newer players and little to no radar or hydro.   They say "look how good I am" to others, but under examination, they have 10 games at T10 in DDs and they have poor WTR and win rate....are they really that good?    WTR itself is only a measure of what data WG releases.  It doesn't measure capping points for example, which I feel is a huge stat never recognized but very intergrel to winning a game.  So stats are dependent on what they are made up of and how they are measured, and then to "compare" two players who may regularly play different tiers...... best thing is don't get bent out of a shape iover someone who has to feed their ego in a video game to give their life some kinda of validity.
  • Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,050 battles

An Intellectually poor man's argument

Yes it is.

• Funny 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,047 posts
8,134 battles

If I understand your original post, you are saying that just because someone is good at something, it doesn't mean that what they say about that something is right?  I am wondering if there is something you are very experienced in and you talked to someone that was relatively new to that something.  What was your impression of their perspective?  Personally, in relation to WOWS, I realize that most of what I thought a year ago was way off.  Unfortunately, I am still having trouble applying my newfound wisdom.

(You do realize the impact your display of a stat emblem has on your argument?)

[WGA]
Administrator, Community Department, WG Staff, Retired Community Contributors
285 posts
12,428 battles

Heyo Captains,

This thread is screaming trouble and serves no real constructive purpose. We will be closing this one up to avoid potential rule violations on it.

If you need a refresh on the forum rules, they can be found here.

Fem, 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2