You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Blackgunner

American Tin?

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles

Today I'd like to propose an optional gun for flush deck US destroyers.

The 8"/23 Mark 7 Howitzer. 

Designed in 1917, it was envisioned to provide heavier firepower to flush deck destroyers; and was built to be interchangeable with the 4"/50 Mark 12 mountings on existing flush deck destroyers.

The gun fired a 285.3 pound shell with a 70 pound bursting charge at about 3-4 rounds per minute; effectively giving destroyers a heavy cruiser HE damage shell (AP weren't supplied) for short range engagements.  How short, you ask?  About 2.4km at 213m/s.

Now why would we need this?  Well frankly we don't.  But I just find the idea of a naval T-49/Sheridan incredibly amusing.

Ships that would be affected: Wickes & Clemson; possibly later flush deckers.

Keep in mind, it was only intended to put 2 of these on a ship.  So for instance the Clemson would have the 2 side guns replaced.  Idk how that would work ingame, move them to secondaries?

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,605 posts
4,057 battles

What would the damage and fire chance be on that shell?  It would have to be stupidly ridiculous for the teir...

I have Clemson, and would definitely mount that for the lulz alone!

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles
1 hour ago, Fishrokk said:

What would the damage and fire chance be on that shell?  It would have to be stupidly ridiculous for the teir...

I have Clemson, and would definitely mount that for the lulz alone!

It's actually a larger shell than the 8" used on the heavy cruisers.  As it would only have HE, the actual value would be around ~3500 alpha per gun with a ~15 to 20% fire chance.  Maybe give it 1/4 HE pen for the lulz.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,281 posts
12,830 battles
1 hour ago, Fishrokk said:

What would the damage and fire chance be on that shell?

Fire chance about 25%, damage about 3500.

10 minutes ago, Blackgunner said:

As it would only have HE, the actual value would be around ~3500 alpha per gun with a ~15 to 20% fire chance.

Close, good guess. Only the fire chance is a bit off. How'd you arrive at those numbers?

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,605 posts
4,057 battles

Unless they tweaked the penetration value, the shell will breach 33mm of armor.  Clemson has four guns for a broadside weight of 14K HP damage.  If you hit an Omaha with every shell in the superstructure, it's dead in two salvos.  That's 15 to 20 seconds to blast a cruiser a tier higher out of the water.

Of course, the challenge would be living long enough to fire even the first salvo at that range. 

Once in range, Omaha might not be able to kill Clemson quick enough to prevent it, assuming they both start firing at the same time.

[PVE]
Members
9,946 posts
7,492 battles
4 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

Unless they tweaked the penetration value, the shell will breach 33mm of armor.  Clemson has four guns for a broadside weight of 14K HP damage.  If you hit an Omaha with every shell in the superstructure, it's dead in two salvos.  That's 15 to 20 seconds to blast a cruiser a tier higher out of the water.

Of course, the challenge would be living long enough to fire even the first salvo at that range.  But then again, Omaha might not be able to kill Clemson quick enough to prevent it, assuming they both start firing at the same time.

2 hours ago, Blackgunner said:

The 8"/23 Mark 7 Howitzer. 

The gun fired a 285.3 pound shell with a 70 pound bursting charge at about 3-4 rounds per minute; effectively giving destroyers a heavy cruiser HE damage shell (AP weren't supplied) for short range engagements.  How short, you ask?  About 2.4km at 213m/s.

Yeah, 2.4km guns on Clemson, where Omaha only has to have 15 pens to take out the Clemson. And Omaha can start firing when the Clemson is 6.1km out and the Omaha can put some shells in the air.

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

Fire chance about 25%, damage about 3500.

Close, good guess. Only the fire chance is a bit off. How'd you arrive at those numbers?

Did some quick formulations in my head based on completely nonsensical data.  Which is a fancy way of saying, it seemed like that would work best.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

The guns would only have 2.5 km range but the shell travel time would be so long with a 213 m/s muzzle velocity and howitzer firing angles you'd still have to give substantial lead.  I love it.

[POP]
Members
599 posts
12,025 battles

I do like this idea … I certainly don't think it any more out there than some of the other DD/DD configs in game.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles

And you thought sinking ships with Clemson torpedoes was difficult. :Smile_teethhappy: