You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

The definition of temptation is...

24 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,256 battles

...having almost exactly enough Elite Ship XP locked behind the paywall to finish off your first 19-pointer (952,000 and change).

But I shouldn't do it that way, should I?

• Bad 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

It is a game how you play it or pay it is only what you value.

There is no wrong way to do anything in this game.

• Cool 1

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,668 posts
3,924 battles

I think I'm still over 1m available to convert. If I did I could at least finish off 3 captains to 19ers..but I slayed my budget with buying ships lately so that's gonna take awhile to get back to.

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...having almost exactly enough Elite Ship XP locked behind the paywall to finish off your first 19-pointer (952,000 and change).

$152 to convert that. Is a 19 point captain worth that much to you? Personally, no. If I was going to spend that much it would be to skip stock ships, buy a premium instead, or just skip an entire ship line and a half. With camos and all special flags plus premium, I can average over 30k commander xp per game. That’s a max of probably 32 or so games for 952k commander xp. 

In the end, it is your time and money. Cost vs benefit.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,256 battles
2 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

$152 to convert that. Is a 19 point captain worth that much to you? Personally, no. If I was going to spend that much it would be to skip stock ships, buy a premium instead, or just skip an entire ship line and a half. With camos and all special flags plus premium, I can average over 30k commander xp per game. That’s a max of probably 32 or so games for 952k commander xp. 

In the end, it is your time and money. Cost vs benefit.

Thank you for putting that dollar value in context. That screams no.

I probably don't have the same level of game in Base XP terms that you do, so it's much more than 32 games for me, but still. Better and more fun to do it the slower way.

Members
1,458 posts
12,328 battles

Never convert exp into elite captain exp - the amount of captain or elite captain exp that you can generate with flags and camo per battle makes spending doubloons on this silly - instead use the doubloons on camo or signals if needed.

Never exchange free exp for captain exp - you generate captain exp at 10 times the rate and and 19 point captain can generate  large amounts of elite captain exp- that can be used by any captain

Free exp is the most valuable - generates the slowest, is expensive to convert exp to free exp - should only use to buy free exp ships ( quality ships without spending a dime), free exp past a base hull ( for those ships where the base hull makes for painful play) or if you have some logical reason to apply a precious commodity to a regular grind where exp is generated at 9 to 10 times the rate (should use only for credit issues , most painful of grinds, your you need to move up quickly for a high value mission or ranked/clan where you need a certain tier of ship).

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu iirc you're at Neptune (T9) for the RNCLs, I'm assuming it's the same cmdr. 

Between flags and camos by the time you get Minotaur as your grind through it you should reach CMDR lv19 and T10 at roughly the same time. 

It's tempting, but keep on trucking, if you're contemplating using FExp to supplement; push until it's an easily recoverable amount. 

Also TBH, while that 1st 19 is a great accomplishment, it's only maximized by earnings for the Ship he's tied to OR nation Prems. Finally, if your build is a 3xT4 cmdr, how valuable is that +1pt truly for your build? If it's a 2xT4 then yes the push to 19 is more worth the expenditure. But it still highly dependent on wht what is a recoverable "loss"

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,256 battles
6 minutes ago, Ivlerlin said:

@Ensign_Cthulhu iirc you're at Neptune (T9) for the RNCLs, I'm assuming it's the same cmdr. 

Between flags and camos by the time you get Minotaur as your grind through it you should reach CMDR lv19 and T10 at roughly the same time. 

It's tempting, but keep on trucking, if you're contemplating using FExp to supplement; push until it's an easily recoverable amount. 

Also TBH, while that 1st 19 is a great accomplishment, it's only maximized by earnings for the Ship he's tied to OR nation Prems. Finally, if your build is a 3xT4 cmdr, how valuable is that +1pt truly for your build? If it's a 2xT4 then yes the push to 19 is more worth the expenditure. But it still highly dependent on wht what is a recoverable "loss"

I have the Neptune unlocked but not bought. At the time I unlocked her, I was just short of the amount needed for purchase. But that didn't count ANY of the upgrades; the true price for Neptune is closer to 20 million. Currently my captain is in the Edinburgh, with three premium ships also available for his use at Tiers 6 and 7. Whichever tier they pick for next season, he's going to see a lot of use.

That last skill point might not matter in terms of skills used, but it matters in terms of earning elite commander XP. My #14 point is as yet unspent, which means when he's fully trained he'll have six points to play with. Expert Marksman, High Alert and Jack of All Trades was my thinking, possibly dropping one of those two latter for Adrenaline Rush.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have the Neptune unlocked but not bought. At the time I unlocked her, I was just short of the amount needed for purchase. But that didn't count ANY of the upgrades; the true price for Neptune is closer to 20 million. Currently my captain is in the Edinburgh, with three premium ships also available for his use at Tiers 6 and 7. Whichever tier they pick for next season, he's going to see a lot of use.

That last skill point might not matter in terms of skills used, but it matters in terms of earning elite commander XP. My #14 point is as yet unspent, which means when he's fully trained he'll have six points to play with. Expert Marksman, High Alert and Jack of All Trades was my thinking, possibly dropping one of those two latter for Adrenaline Rush.

If you're dropping for AR I'd go with EM. All things considered the RNCLs have a quick enough RoF to sustain pressure until the rear turrets are fully rotated. 

While the whole 19 = ECxp dilemma your in; just grind it out. Or if you are going to spend some FExp on your first then pick a token amount that you know is easily recoverable. 

One thing that I'm currently doing is training up my 2nd and 3rd. I just dropped nearly all my my ECxp into my 2nd to boost him to 18, my 3rd is at 16. Both those CMDRs are my "alternative grinds" for when the main is waiting for recovery (because I was too aggressive in stance). 

Just go piecemeal, sure it's easy to get impatient, but once you get there it's wonderful to have. I was fortunate that I chose an IJN Cmdr for my first 19er, that combined with the HSF Musashi camo makes ECxp easier when he's on the T10. 

Best thing to do once you get your 1st 19 is to continue spending +Cxp camos and flags on him to boost your earnings for your next CMDRs. 

Also if you want my rubric for what is a "sustainable loss" for FExp to ECxp its:

Avg playtime (day) / avg FExp earn (day) for your daily Percentage. 

From there, take a lump sum of FExp and see how long it takes to earn back. 

IF the number of approximate days required is Too Long then keep grinding until it's a comfortable amount.

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
234 posts
7,416 battles

I wouldn't, way too expensive. Just throw your captain on a premium, make credits and get your 19 pointer that way.

[HELLS]
Members
1,702 posts
15,518 battles

I just ground four 10-point RN captains in anticipation of the RN DD line in the fall. I had the option of hanging on to all my elite XP and getting another 19-pointer but since I already have six 19-pointers, the 7th can wait a bit. Did not have to use much of my free XP either, so that is building up as well. Grind them the hard way. Once you have a couple of them, using them in your premiums with flags gets you several more quite quickly. I ground all of mine inside 4 months once I had the 1st one.

I spent my gaming budget on Haida, Prinz Eugen, and Tirpitz while the current sale is on, rather than buying a ton of doubloons to free up ship XP. I have over 4 million ship XP locked up in Texas, Arizona, and Warspite. I have several more ships approaching the million ship XP mark as well. it is going to take something major  in terms of new premiums as award ships or new tech tree ships before I free any of that up given that doubloons are rarely on sale..

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Thank you for putting that dollar value in context. That screams no.

I probably don't have the same level of game in Base XP terms that you do, so it's much more than 32 games for me, but still. Better and more fun to do it the slower way.

Yeah it’s lots of money. I would have to do the math but the flags and camos really add on XP. Granted that is tier 8-10 that I usually play.

[LOU1]
Members
3,034 posts
8,128 battles
4 hours ago, Panzer1113 said:

Never convert exp into elite captain exp - the amount of captain or elite captain exp that you can generate with flags and camo per battle makes spending doubloons on this silly - instead use the doubloons on camo or signals if needed.

Never exchange free exp for captain exp - you generate captain exp at 10 times the rate and and 19 point captain can generate  large amounts of elite captain exp- that can be used by any captain

Free exp is the most valuable - generates the slowest, is expensive to convert exp to free exp - should only use to buy free exp ships ( quality ships without spending a dime), free exp past a base hull ( for those ships where the base hull makes for painful play) or if you have some logical reason to apply a precious commodity to a regular grind where exp is generated at 9 to 10 times the rate (should use only for credit issues , most painful of grinds, your you need to move up quickly for a high value mission or ranked/clan where you need a certain tier of ship).

20 times the rate.  Free XP is 5% of the earned ship XP (not including Free XP bonuses).  Commander/Elite XP is the ship XP plus any Commander XP bonuses.  1000 ship XP is 1000 Commander XP (not including flags) or 50 Free XP.

Edited by ExploratorOne
Missing digit

Beta Testers
848 posts
8,208 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

There is no wrong way to do anything in this game.

not true - rushing mid in Two Brothers is the wrong way to play that map if you want your team to win. :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF9]
Members
3,244 posts

I find it very tempting to use that giant pool of FXP to finish off my Nor-Cal captain (currently at just over 18 points) or my Buffalo captain ( just under 18 points).   Esp since I'm reaching the end of lines I want to grind.

US BB's- done.

US CA's- almost done.  (need appx 40k xp)

German BB's.  Done.  I just got Bismarck, and that's the last one I want.

German CA's.  on Roon.

French BB's and CA's  both on tier 8.

British BB's.  Done.  I got my KGV- don't want the others.

That leaves IJN CA's- currently on Myoko.  IJN BB's?  on Fuso, but I don't really like them, and have yet to play it.

The rest are non issues for now.  I don't CV at ALL;  just quit playing DD's altogether;  and have no interest in going any further with RN or RU cruisers.   USN CL's?  maybe eventually, if I get bored enough.   The short range/ moonshot shell arcs don't appeal to me at all, though.

I'm also not especially interested in any of the FXP premiums we currently have.

Thus I have comparatively little to spend it on.  Just a handful of ships to upgrade past the stock modules.   So the only reason I don't give into temptation is because I like to watch the FXP total go higher and higher, lol.   Plus I'm  stubborn old fart, and like to grind things through to completion.   (and keep your dirty minded comments to yourselves, lol)

I will say this:  When you do get that first 19 pointer, put it on a ship you like- and will play often!  Otherwise it's useless for grinding E-XP, lol.   I made the mistake of putting it in my brand new Benson- a ship I love, but rarely play.   And since I no longer play DD's at all, it's totally useless to me and will cost a fortune to respec and reassign to another ship...

Also lessening the temptation:   I plan on assigning that 19 pointer to Des Moines when I get it.   And Buffalo's captain will stay where it is, as I really like that ship.  It works just fine now, so I'm in no real hurry to get those last 2 points.   That leaves Nor-Cal's captain- and I have 4 premiums to share it with, lol.  It'll get there soon enough.   15 points is as high as any other nations' captains have gotten.   I don't want to think about how many fxp it would cost to finish one of those...

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,256 battles
2 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

20 times the rate.  Free XP is 5% of the earned ship XP (not including Free XP bonuses).  Commander/Elite XP is the ship XP plus any Commander XP bonuses.  1000 ship XP is 100 Commander XP (not including flags) or 50 Free XP.

You mean 1000 commander XP, don't you? I thought commander XP is always equal to or greater than ship XP.

[HRVAT]
Members
300 posts
6,124 battles

Image result for Romolo chocolates

Well you did say the definition of temptation !!!!!!!!!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
187 posts
4,506 battles
35 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You mean 1000 commander XP, don't you? I thought commander XP is always equal to or greater than ship XP.

That's right, cmdr XP is ship XP (including bonuses) + any bonuses specific to cmdr XP.

[LOU1]
Members
3,034 posts
8,128 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yes!

Thanks!

[LOU1]
Members
3,034 posts
8,128 battles
58 minutes ago, Haifischkoeder said:

That's right, cmdr XP is ship XP (including bonuses) + any bonuses specific to cmdr XP.

Yes, I was typing too fast and missed it when reading it over.

[INTEL]
Members
8,581 posts
25,696 battles
21 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How many games you expect to get out of this captain? Remember you can drop him into a premium ship to harvest elite captain points.

So yeah, if I expect 50-100 games in that ship, then I increase him to 19 pts. Since the last two points are so expensive, I often leave them at 17 points to grind partway, then finish the last 100K captains points with elite. 

Edited by Taichunger

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm just sitting here with 32 19 pointers and 3.4 million elite captain xp wondering what to do next

Beta Testers
1,049 posts
13,833 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you actually did that ,dollars to donuts you would be disappointed, but as others have stated .....its your game.