You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

100 MM Guns After The Buff

19 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

First of all to the player that was in the Bismarck on my team this game, I have to throw an apology out for the friendly fire that occurred.  I was scoped in not paying attention to my surroundings and I did not realize you were there.  Sorry about the friendly fire man.  How ever with the buff that the developers did to the 100 millimeter guns, I think I will definitely be keeping the IFHE captains perk on this captain and my other Akizuki captain.  With the buff the HE shells just literally SHRED BBs apart.  Here's a replay of it.  I did the highest damage I had ever done in a DD in this replay.   On an interesting note I didn't go pink.  Not sure why but I was expecting it after the match.  How ever is IFHE worth keeping?  My simple answer is YES.

Again Sorry who ever you were in the Bismarck.

• Boring 1

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,316 battles

I opened up the video... and the first thing I saw was you firing wide spread torpedoes at max torp range. 

I would highly suggest almost never using wide spread torpedoes, particularly at long range. 

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
2 minutes ago, DOCTOR_CITADEL said:

Question... why are you using wide spread torpedoes at that range?

Its a bad habit of using wide spread I know.  I'm still learning on the scope of changing torpedo spreads.  When to use narrow and when to use wide.  With the wide angle I also know that I may even get lucky with one torpedo hit.

Edited by torpsRus

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,316 battles
2 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Its a bad habit of using wide spread I know.  I'm still learning on the scope of changing torpedo spreads.  When to use narrow and when to use wide.  With the wide angle I also know that I may even get lucky with one torpedo hit.

That is teeechnically true, but even at max torp ranges, narrow spread still spreads out quite a bit. 

With wide spread at max ranges, you can sail like 3-4 Yamatos between the gaps. Any half-way decent player would dodge those with no problem. 

Just a suggestion. 

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 minute ago, DOCTOR_CITADEL said:

That is teeechnically true, but even at max torp ranges, narrow spread still spreads out quite a bit. 

With wide spread at max ranges, you can sail like 3-4 Yamatos between the gaps. Any half-way decent player would dodge those with no problem. 

Just a suggestion. 

I've actually noticed that, they have a very wide spread even with 4 shots.  But I don't always use my torpedoes when I play Akizuki.  I spam HE or AP depending on the situation.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
436 posts
18,692 battles

I use wide spread all the time. But then again I am usually in a Gearing, Shimakaze or Ashashio doing it. So I am sending a lot more out. To each his own though. Anyhow, I really hope the 100mm buff can make my Harakaze worth playing again. When I go with the torp reload and no smoke it was really hard to defend myself vs other DDs once I had launched torps. 

• Bad 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,443 posts
11,703 battles
21 minutes ago, Filthy_Pelican said:

I use wide spread all the time. But then again I am usually in a Gearing, Shimakaze or Ashashio doing it. So I am sending a lot more out. To each his own though. Anyhow, I really hope the 100mm buff can make my Harakaze worth playing again. When I go with the torp reload and no smoke it was really hard to defend myself vs other DDs once I had launched torps. 

I switched to the US 5 inches and use AFT instead of IFHE ...

Better gunboat for me... now with those US AP fuzes...

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,600 posts
4,013 battles
1 hour ago, torpsRus said:

Only use wide if you're in an extremely close-quarters DD knife fight.  Three km or less, where you know just one hit will finish the job because you're peppering the red DD with HE before and after.  In all other cases, you want narrow.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
12 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

Only use wide if you're in an extremely close-quarters DD knife fight.  Three km or less, where you know just one hit will finish the job because you're peppering the red DD with HE before and after.  In all other cases, you want narrow.

Well sometimes when I'm playing this boat I'll just use the torpedoes as a deterant to basically get the red ships to go where I want them to go.  Rather than using the torpedo as a primary weapon.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,600 posts
4,013 battles
2 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Well sometimes when I'm playing this boat I'll just use the torpedoes as a deterant to basically get the red ships to go where I want them to go.  Rather than using the torpedo as a primary weapon.

And you don't find that wide spread at range allows the red ships too much room to maneuver to force them where you want them?  (Honest question - not snark.)

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 minute ago, Fishrokk said:

And you don't find that wide spread at range allows the red ships too much room to maneuver to force them where you want them?  (Honest question - not snark.)

Well from what I've seen in the game play while using torpedoes most players see them and go oh crap and turn anyway.  Some but few actually I've seen turn into them.  But most of the time I've seen players actually turning away from them.  Either way sometimes it works for me some times it doesn't.

Members
855 posts
3,580 battles

"I was scoped in not paying attention to my surroundings and I did not realize you were there.  Sorry about the friendly fire man"

Something tells me that if this had happened to you, that player would be chat abused....... Why is it that the very people that yell at there teammates don't seem to care when its them making the mistake? 

• Bad 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,355 posts
9,513 battles

Nice game.

[POET]
Members
304 posts
1,889 battles

My opinion on Harugumo is now if it's gonna be a garbage DD at least it can be an annoying CL.

[BOATC]
Members
185 posts
3,197 battles
10 minutes ago, admiral_noone said:

My opinion on Harugumo is now if it's gonna be a garbage DD at least it can be an annoying CL.

Harugumo is an amazing DD. 

Also, a complete list of when to use wide spread torpedoes:

[TARFU]
Members
879 posts
5,915 battles

not trying to be mean, but you played that wrong.  you should've crept up to about 6-6.5 km and sent 8 torpedos at those suckers after the first bismarck engagement. THEN smoke fire after the torp hits and they'll die with a lot less work due to DOT

i can't believe how long you survived, pure luck. i don't get why they ignored you.

Edited by HorrorRoach

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,825 posts
9,575 battles

Don’t listen to the wide spread haters. They’re just mad that you got 1 or 2 torpedo hits, while their perfectly aimed narrow spreads missed completely. 

Seriously, when I play cruiser or BB there is nothing better than a DD player that thinks narrow spreads are the only option. They always miss me by miles. It’s the people who know full well that they can’t predict me 5 seconds, let alone 35 seconds, into the future that cause trouble. It only takes 1 torp to cause flooding and if your DC is on cooldown, you are in trouble.

Wide spreads are also great for when multiple ships are traversing the same area.