Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

Smoke vs. Torpedo reload boost...your opinions?

27 comments in this topic

Members
1,019 posts
13,047 battles

DDs were the last class of ships I started playing so it's taken me a while to acquire the Kagero with it's option of either smoke or torp reload boost. 5 games so far all with the torp boost; 1 win 4 losses 4 ships killed in 4 different games. The best game I've had so far was on Two Brothers were I sent all 16 torps into cap A, sank a BB with 6 hits and crippled a CA with 2 other hits. Oh yes, I can see how useful this is going to be... on the other hand in some of the other games, usually just before dying I've been saying to myself, "Damn I wish I had some smoke!".

So what do you DD mains think about it? Do you go with those massive torp strikes or keep that life saving smoke. It could be that with all the radar in the game smoke is no longer as useful as it once was. If that's so does anyone have some tips on good Kagero with torp boost loaded tactics.

Thanks in advance.:cap_like:

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,123 posts
4,270 battles

I rather have more fishes in the water then hide in my smoke

• Cool 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,151 posts
9,233 battles

In an ijn dd, your strength is spotting and torping. I try to run it in a manner where I don't need smoke. If that means not using guns, then I don't use guns. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles

I think that it is a pretty equal (one of the most equal) trades, as far as consumables go. Torp reload is a more consistent play-style, while the smoke/radar style varies a lot more, with the meta.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I'd definitely use trb until at least a new line comes out, and some people shift away from radar cruisers over to the new hotness. Then I could see a debate based on play style. But I don't think smoke will ever be as useful as it used to be.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,807 posts
10,315 battles

Torpedo reload boost.

You don't get tempted into sitting in smoke eating torpedoes. You rely on mobility and range which is much better than the 'surprise radar' - radar if you're stationary 8km away is much more lethal than radar 9km away doing 35kt outbound.

Without TRB the torpedo DPM is too lacking. With it you can stack the flood if you're lucky enough to get 2 successive hits from the 2 waves.

IMO Kag and Yugumo need TRB to be competitive. Shiratsuyu's bad with either unfortunately.

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

I personally like TRB on my Kagero. Just make sure you use a full stealth build! You can still cap even though you don't have smoke (a lot of people don't think this for some reason). 

As mentioned above in this thread, IJN DDs are spotting and torpedoing ships. Not sit in smoke and shoot guns.

[DAS]
Members
344 posts
4,323 battles

I have never tried the reload skill and I don't think I ever will.

I like the option of smoke in case craphits the fan (yes, I know radar can make it useless).

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles

With all the Radar in high tier these days the smoke can be rendered rather useless. And torp Reload Booster is very useful. Being able to lay down 16 Torps within 6 seconds is so much fun.

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,963 battles

While I do enjoy a good TRB salvo, I switched back to smoke on Yuugumo. Even with all the radar around, the bonus torps aren't worth getting completely nullified by other destroyers.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,585 battles

man you don't ever use smoke you don't even use smoke on your Shima as to why the give it to you even baffles me.... TRB is only thing IJN DD should ALL have

[INTEL]
Members
645 posts
7,559 battles
28 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

While I do enjoy a good TRB salvo, I switched back to smoke on Yuugumo. Even with all the radar around, the bonus torps aren't worth getting completely nullified by other destroyers.

I've always had TRB on the Kargero, Yugumo and Harekaze.  Until yesterday.  I divisioned with a friend that was trying out a new cruiser and I decided I was going to do nothing more than spot for him and harass anyone that targeted him.  So, in this instance I decided to take smoke instead.  Well, whataya know, we draw Epicenter.  I get into the near side of the center ring with him peeking out from an island when I spotted something.  Worked pretty well...in this instance.  Any DD that came in was immediately detected and targeted as I smoked myself.  I had really low detection to begin with so I was safe from being spotted by the destroyers.  No cruiser challenged me and they stayed outside of the center ring behind islands.  Had cruiser get brave or team up with another radar ship and charged me, I would have been toast. 

Very situational but I can see it working on other maps if you put yourself in the right spots.   But it's very situational and you have to have reliable support.  I'll certainly try it a few more times but I doubt it's going to be my default config.

[H_]
Members
792 posts

Torps, torps and more torps because RADAR has made smoke useless.....

Smoke is not "value added" anymore and really isn't an applicable commodity anymore.  It has a historic reason; but, there is no mitigation to radars effects......ergo, smoke has no real value and torpedo reload boost does.  JMO.

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,963 battles
1 minute ago, ClassicLib said:

I've always had TRB on the Kargero, Yugumo and Harekaze.  Until yesterday.  I divisioned with a friend that was trying out a new cruiser and I decided I was going to do nothing more than spot for him and harass anyone that targeted him.  So, in this instance I decided to take smoke instead.  Well, whataya know, we draw Epicenter.  I get into the near side of the center ring with him peeking out from an island when I spotted something.  Worked pretty well...in this instance.  Any DD that came in was immediately detected and targeted as I smoked myself.  I had really low detection to begin with so I was safe from being spotted by the destroyers.  No cruiser challenged me and they stayed outside of the center ring behind islands.  Had cruiser get brave or team up with another radar ship and charged me, I would have been toast. 

Very situational but I can see it working on other maps if you put yourself in the right spots.   But it's very situational and you have to have reliable support.  I'll certainly try it a few more times but I doubt it's going to be my default config.

I'm mainly switching back because I can't rely on teammates to support me, especially if they say that or act like they are going to.

[INTEL]
Members
645 posts
7,559 battles
Just now, Flashtirade said:

I'm mainly switching back because I can't rely on teammates to support me, especially if they say that or act like they are going to.

Div mates are the only semi-reliable support you can have.  Even then they have to be in a good position and pay attention instead of being distracted by another juicy target.

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,963 battles
1 minute ago, ClassicLib said:

Div mates are the only semi-reliable support you can have.  Even then they have to be in a good position and pay attention instead of being distracted by another juicy target.

Mostly a solo player so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Members
1,155 posts
6,920 battles

i never tried TRB on the kag, due to mainly grinding it during a ranked season where living is more important.   Played it on the Yug tho, and it was a lot of fun.  Without having smoke as an out, it really makes you learn the hard way if you don't have any map awareness.  was certainly a different and enjoyable play style.    the shima is fun, but i don't get quite the rush playing it as i did with the Yug.

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,789 battles

Smoke is dead.

If I could take torpedo reload on USN DDs, I would.

[TDD]
Members
905 posts
7,942 battles

TRB is more useful IMO than smoke,

With all the radar all smoke will do is give you a false sense of security for the ten or fifteen seconds you have  until all the radar cruisers light you up and every red with a loaded gun blows you out of the water.

Edited by nina_blain_73

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,083 posts
8,964 battles

If you use smoke alot don't do it.  But if you have gotten to the point of using smoke rarely, run the torp reload booster.  

• Cool 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,488 posts
3,435 battles

I've switched over to TRB on most ships where it's either/or. I found it's better to remain mobile and proactive rather than camp but be reactive (exclusions being camping an island in a cap and not worried about immediate retaliation even if radar'd). More due to the steady proliferation of Hydro and Radar. Radar is only a momentary inconvenience, but easily mitigated by staying mobile rather than be an easy target while revving the engines back up. Hydro is a bit more inconvenient, but if the initial volley misses, at least you can quick charge a follow up in a more optimal drop that puts the opponent in a hard place; between either eating the torps or baring their broadside.

Beta Testers
1,049 posts
13,833 battles
3 hours ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

DDs were the last class of ships I started playing so it's taken me a while to acquire the Kagero with it's option of either smoke or torp reload boost. 5 games so far all with the torp boost; 1 win 4 losses 4 ships killed in 4 different games. The best game I've had so far was on Two Brothers were I sent all 16 torps into cap A, sank a BB with 6 hits and crippled a CA with 2 other hits. Oh yes, I can see how useful this is going to be... on the other hand in some of the other games, usually just before dying I've been saying to myself, "Damn I wish I had some smoke!".

So what do you DD mains think about it? Do you go with those massive torp strikes or keep that life saving smoke. It could be that with all the radar in the game smoke is no longer as useful as it once was. If that's so does anyone have some tips on good Kagero with torp boost loaded tactics.

Thanks in advance.:cap_like:

With Kagero, Yugumo and harakaze I use torp reload booster. So I agree with Major Renegade, with the current horrible IJN torp concealment it is good to put as many fish in the water as possible.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles

TRB all the way. smoke has to many disadvantages.

Sign in to follow this