Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zubalkabir

Cruisers not playing like conventional wisdom says they should

14 comments in this topic

[DOG]
Members
431 posts
5,748 battles

I was playing last night, and figured out some cruisers don't play the way you think they will.  I haven't had the following ships very long, so I'm still figuring them out.  First, while playing Mogami (with 155mm guns) I delivered repeated damage (including two kills) firing at ships that were hiding behind islands.  With a shell velocity of 925 m/s, you wouldn't think the ship would be that good at firing over islands.  Maybe the targets just weren't hugging the islands closely enough.  Second, playing Baltimore and Helena, I figured out I tend to do much better either kiting, or just staying mobile and dodging, than using the traditional island hugging.  The ships just can't change back and forth between forward/reverse fast enough. They end up sitting still with their, um, "packaging" dangling in the wind too long.  Anyone else notice this?

Edited by zubalkabir
  • Cool 1

[DERP]
Beta Testers
434 posts
1,968 battles

some people think the game is 'World of TankShips" for some reason when playing cruisers.

[INTEL]
Members
793 posts
8,245 battles
12 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

I was playing last night, and figured out some cruisers don't play the way you the way you think they will.  I haven't had the following ships very long, so I'm still figuring them out.  First, while playing Mogami (with 155mm guns) I delivered repeated damage (including two kills) firing at ships that were hiding behind islands.  With a shell velocity of 925 m/s, you wouldn't think the ship would be that good at firing over islands.  Maybe the targets just weren't hugging the islands closely enough.  Second, playing Baltimore and Helena, I figured out I tend to do much better either kiting, or just staying mobile and dodging, than using the traditional island hugging.  The ships just can't change back and forth between forward/reverse fast enough. They end up sitting still with their, um, "packaging" dangling in the wind too long.  Anyone else notice this?

That's fine in the Helena . The Baltimore is a radar cruiser. While you're "doing better" kiting around in the open your DDs are without support around the caps. 

My biggest issue since the USN cruiser split has been radar cruisers playing like RU and IJN. It's disgusting to be on Trap with 5 USN radar cruisers and not one moves to support the B cap.

• Funny 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,852 posts
12,593 battles

There is nothing conventional about this game and even less wisdom.

• Cool 2

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,008 battles

You're doing something a lot of cruiser players fail to: Adapt. 

A lot of times some cruiser players are super inflexible in how they play their ship. Baltimore is actually pretty damn good at kiting. It's not ideal, but it can be done. However, most people think it should be played as a fort built at sea.
That said, don't go out of your way to play something like the Balti as an open water ship. Just because she can do it doesn't mean you should every single time. 

It's amazing just how quickly a ship camping behind an island will die if they fail to realize they aren't in a great position and don't fall back.

• Cool 1

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,008 battles
2 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

That's fine in the Helena . The Baltimore is a radar cruiser. While you're "doing better" kiting around in the open your DDs are without support around the caps. 

It's fine in Baltimore too, if the situation prescribes it. ie if you tried supporting the cap (with radar) but the enemy overran your destroyers (thus forcing you into open water), the 203mm guns can do serious damage while the rudder shift on the Balti is good enough that she can dodge a good chunk of incoming shells.

Of course it's not optimal, but as I said above, not adapting will kill cruisers faster than playing in a less than optimal way. 

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,955 battles

There are two play styles that's doable with the Mino

1. Island waifu loving - with/without smoke

2. CQB - you play destroyer.

either way can be nerve wracking. 

[INTEL]
Members
793 posts
8,245 battles
19 minutes ago, Viper101 said:

It's fine in Baltimore too, if the situation prescribes it. ie if you tried supporting the cap (with radar) but the enemy overran your destroyers (thus forcing you into open water), the 203mm guns can do serious damage while the rudder shift on the Balti is good enough that she can dodge a good chunk of incoming shells.

Of course it's not optimal, but as I said above, not adapting will kill cruisers faster than playing in a less than optimal way. 

Fair enough. As long as the radar cruiser driver at least tries to support I'm good.

• Cool 1

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
40 minutes ago, von_Krimm said:

some people think the game is 'World of TankShips" for some reason when playing cruisers.

Cuz just like World of [edited], you go out of cover, you die, especially in a ship the size of a battleship, but with less armor then a soda can, strapped with a nuclear explosive device that runs the length of the ship....

[PT8TO]
Members
1,406 posts
13,247 battles

I have never like Island camping in any of my U.S cruisers.

I stay on the move whenever possible, if I happen to be behind and island and can take advantage of it i will.

But if i was to camp behind the nearest island in my Wooster 12km away from my nearest DD.

The amount of support I would be able to back them up with would be minimal at best.

You will hardly ever find any how to play squishy cruisers that do not tell you that you must remain hugged against a island.

But for anyone who dares defy that logic in a well thought out way can influence the outcome of a match early and often.

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

I haven't played Mogami yet, but what I can say about Helena is that you should still rely on islands as much as possible. Not saying it can't fight in open water, but without the team mates providing a distraction it gets melted quickly. However, there was a time when I burned down a 70% health Missouri while kiting in open water, killing him almost single handedly. That was hilarious. He couldn't kill me when I had low HP left. You'd be surprised at how many people unlock freemiums not because they got 750k FEXP due to skill, but because of the sheer number of battles they have played.

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

I do find that Helena even with the Accel-boost is horrible at scooting her tush back behind cover. But no way in hell are you gonna see me buggy out into the open. Not enough turn for that either. besides, throwing 4k salvos from behind an island is too much fun. 

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,037 posts

Peek-A-Boom is an anathema.

Try playing your ships like ships.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Island huggers can be hit if they're capable of shooting over it. It's just fairly difficult to achieve. 

It's just a matter of understanding your own weapon's ballistics and how they arc. 

---

As for unconventional, there's actually a good number of things that can be done with Cruisers that most players disregard; AA Builds, EWS builds, Secondary Builds, Torpedo Builds.

Most players play for DPM; "support" is secondary. Playing the role of the unsung hero always sucks. Your exp gains and dmg numbers won't equal pure damage CACLs, and there's the thought in the back of your mind with every Loss questioning not using a DMG Build. But with every Win whatever support plays you make potentially are turning points in battle. 

Sign in to follow this