You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Team Damage - you got to fix this

14 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Personally I do no appreciate being dinged hundreds if not thousands of pink point for "firing on your allies" or "damage to your allies" when some ahull deliberately drives his ship stem-to-stern into my ship because he's faster or because it's his "thing". TWICE in one match this guy deliberately scrapes my hull, pushes me broadside the reds. 

I know you guys are smart enough to write the code on how to determine "who" is at fault in such scenarios. If not, here's the logic:

At point of tk/contact with a friendly, query the rudder controls, ship directions and speed. You could always cache a five second slice of that data. Five seconds of movement data will easily indicate who came at who, who turned into who, who rushed in and under the guns of whom... it's not rocket surgery you know (intended pun).

It's frustrating as Hades you don't correct this kind of crap but rather bring out additional means of trying to get RL money from us. Want people to open their wallets wide? Fix some of the QoL issues this game has, fine tune it and up the overall gaming experience. Just my 50 doubloons worth. 

Thanks much. 

NOTE: I'm still very happy you added [SPACEBAR] to the valid keys for firing main turrets. Thanks much for that. 

• Funny 2
  • Bad 2

[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,050 battles

5. Who has the "right of way" on the water? The Rules do not grant privileges or rights, they impose responsibilities and require precaution under all conditions and circumstances.  Power-driven vessels are to keep out of the way (Rule 18) and either give-way (Rule 16) or stand-on (Rule 17) to vessels not under command or restricted in their ability to maneuver, sailing vessels or vessels engaged in fishing, ascending or descending a river (Rule 14(d)). Similarly, all vessels should avoid impeding the safe passage of a vessel constrained by her draft (Rule 18), navigating a narrow channel (Rule 9), or traffic separation scheme (Rule 10). 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,871 posts
12,622 battles

No way I am going to touch this!

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,017 battles

Haha wow. No they aren’t going to code something in for each time someone is touched by a friendly... that would be ridiculous. And coding doesn’t always tell whose fault. If someone pushes you broadside, send the replay in and make a ticket. Problem solved. It’s very rare to have that happen so it’s not a pain to do.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,046 posts
10,459 battles

At tiers 7 and up, that has happened to me 2-3 times in a couple of thousand games - not worthy of extra coding for a rare instance like that.

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,807 battles
23 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

If not, here's the logic:

At point of tk/contact with a friendly, query the rudder controls, ship directions and speed. You could always cache a five second slice of that data. Five seconds of movement data will easily indicate who came at who, who turned into who, who rushed in and under the guns of whom... it's not rocket surgery you know (intended pun).

I'm just pointing out the complexity of what you are proposing. You're attempting to divine intent from the input data for a given player. This is a very dicey proposition. For example, is blame considered if a ship is dodging torpedoes and they touch a friendly ship? What if a ship is suddenly radared and the captain starts moving to evade incoming fire leading to a collision with a friendly ship? Should this also be extended to ships that run into friendly torpedoes? Should we profile rudder actions to determine if a friendly drove into friendly torpedoes instead of continuing on a set course?

People suck. People on the internet are even worse. I've grown a thick skin and do not worry about one moron in one 10-20m game.

Happy hunting.

[SALVO]
Members
17,071 posts
17,737 battles
35 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Personally I do no appreciate being dinged hundreds if not thousands of pink point for "firing on your allies" or "damage to your allies" when some ahull deliberately drives his ship stem-to-stern into my ship because he's faster or because it's his "thing". TWICE in one match this guy deliberately scrapes my hull, pushes me broadside the reds. 

I know you guys are smart enough to write the code on how to determine "who" is at fault in such scenarios. If not, here's the logic:

It's frustrating as Hades you don't correct this kind of crap but rather bring out additional means of trying to get RL money from us. Want people to open their wallets wide? Fix some of the QoL issues this game has, fine tune it and up the overall gaming experience. Just my 50 doubloons worth. 

Thanks much. 

NOTE: I'm still very happy you added [SPACEBAR] to the valid keys for firing main turrets. Thanks much for that. 

Reitz, the solution is a lot simpler.  Just get rid of friendly ram damage.  Problem solved.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,652 posts
9,053 battles
34 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

How are you getting thousands in damage from simply swapping paint. We don't fight in formations like real warships, even in CW, so with how we are all driving every which way swapping paint is guaranteed to happen. The griefers would abuse this just as they abused every team damage system we had up to the current one which leaves little wiggle room for them.

[HINON]
Members
9,035 posts
34 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Reitz, the solution is a lot simpler.  Just get rid of friendly ram damage.  Problem solved.

Then you can grief people in slower ships by blocking them etc.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,652 posts
9,053 battles
36 minutes ago, Crucis said:

2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

This, removing team damage from friendly rams opens up a new way to grief and those D-bags will leap on it.

[SALVO]
Members
17,071 posts
17,737 battles
24 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

You can do it already because the amount of damage in friendly rams is so minor that no one who is intent on griefing would be stopped by taking such miniscule damage and miniscule penalties.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Thanks much. 

You gotta replay of this?

[HINON]
Members
9,035 posts
48 minutes ago, Crucis said:

You can do it already because the amount of damage in friendly rams is so minor that no one who is intent on griefing would be stopped by taking such miniscule damage and miniscule penalties.

It's cumulative so if they did it continually it would add up.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Nope, I flushed them this morning. I can say the first incidence he blew by me, scraped me at the same time I fired. I was in an Ark and he was in a much faster ARP Ship (Kongo based). Second time out he followed me again, did the exact same thing, scraped up my side from stern to bow. This time fortunately I did not fire. I was just about ready to fire but didn't. 

I never saw him approaching at that speed on the minimap so obviously it's my fault. 

As the system is it (apparently) levels out damage to both players for any contact at all. The guns probably irked me more than the scrapes. 

Again, I know it's my fault for not checking my team mates before every volley is fired. What's worse is he said nothing, nothing at all. Just kept on racing, beyond infinity of the map. 

The calculations could clearly decipher intent in a majority of obvious cases. As in, you're moving slowly and someone comes raging into  you, rams or scrapes you and does not alter course. With the aforementioned dodging torpedoes, I bet you that scenario could be encoded as well, within parameters and take like nothing to calculate the guilty party. 

In the case of torpedo dodging, I'd say nobody would get hit with a pink fine. When it's too complex to determine, fall back to both parties at fault. 

By the way - thanks for letting me discuss it with you without you all getting nasty. Some days are good days here. :cap_win: