You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Varathius

I miss playing DDs

43 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
167 posts

8 radar ships last map  (on same team).... so sad. Hope I can play DD at some time again because all the DDs I see in-game are poor cannon fodder, no idea why they even play them (unless the Russian light cruisers that are known as DDs for some reason).

Edited by Varathius
  • Cool 7
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,402 battles

I'm still playing DD.  Just have to be mindful of position and where the radar boats are.  However sometimes they do catch me by surprise and radar melt me.  Happens once every few games.  

[TWGGF]
[TWGGF]
Members
116 posts
1,338 battles

I had no problem with playing dd with ca with rador,  they had limited number use radar, if they use it then flee and hide till time up, even some dd do had radar,

Beside dd is kind of powerful, its can hide and torpedo away while red team cant find you and try to get away from torpedo 

Edited by Humility925

[PLPT]
Members
65 posts
4,560 battles

The radar doesn't bother me. Just look at the lineups and adjust your play-style accordingly. Lots of American/British radar? Find an island to hide behind and wait it out or go for open water caps. Russians bothering you? Just keep distance if possible and WASD for 20ish seconds.

Beta Testers
167 posts

Damn, so many pros so far in this thread. Wish I would see as much enthusiasm in the field. All I see are DDs being melted and playing passive (long range torpedeers)... and torping own people also at that.

• Cool 4

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

I only played about 7 matches last night, but with one exception they all had two DD's or more on each side. I even hit 4 DD's on a side twice. 

I do admit it's harder to play a DD when you cannot vanish into smoke and kill people without risk, but not impossible. 

[SC]
Members
1,579 posts
10,042 battles
2 minutes ago, Varathius said:

Damn, so many pros so far in this thread. Wish I would see as much enthusiasm in the field. All I see are DDs being melted and playing passive (long range torpedeers)... and torping own people also at that.

If you were an aggressive DD player like myself the fun is over. With all the radar the only way to play these days is extremely passive. Don't cap first half of battle, always stay very near to islands so you can take shelter when radar is turned on, or stay more than 12km away at all times, close your eyes and fire random torps and cross your fingers that one will hit something.
This is where WG has taken torp DDs these days.  I for one would love to be refunded for my tiers 8,9,and 10 IJN DDs and all the free XP invested before they nerfed them continuously over the past year.

• Cool 9
  • Bad 1

[CAST]
Members
1,215 posts
7,414 battles

I have 2 DD lines I am grinding up right now.  They are sitting at T7 and T8, so I get lots of radar cruisers.  I have more issues with the support ships hanging back and not supporting, than I do with all the radar on the other team.

• Cool 1

[DANKY]
Members
504 posts
1,620 battles

Funny, the tier 8-9-10 games I've played had plenty of DDs capping like usual, with the usual 20% or so faffing off on some quest to see less-visited corners of the map.  

35 minutes ago, Murcc said:

I have 2 DD lines I am grinding up right now.  They are sitting at T7 and T8, so I get lots of radar cruisers.  I have more issues with the support ships hanging back and not supporting, than I do with all the radar on the other team.

Hear hear.  Radar would be more of a problem if the second line always showed up to work.  Not that they never do - I'd say about half the time a DD gets the support he needs.  Usually you can see the radar boats coming*, and then it's time to hug the near line of the cap and prepare to bail if necessary.  

(*) A concealment-build Des Moines is morally wrong.  People should stop doing that.  

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,479 battles

I'd love a screenshot of this game with 8 radar ships on 1 team. 

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,402 battles
Just now, Komrade_Rylo said:

I'd love a screenshot of this game with 8 radar ships on 1 team. 

FML!  Ya if I was on the other team in a DD I'd just hang back with the big boats and try to fire long  range torps from time to time until the radar boats are <= 4 at least.  

[UBOAT]
Beta Testers
22 posts
2,919 battles

I am still enjoy playing my dds, all the radar can make it a challenge.  It has been a lot of fun to out think the radar boats in order to secure caps, and to win against the odds.  I got the z-46 on, 7/15/18, right in the middle of the influx of radar boats. I would guess I have seen on average around 3 per team each match, the highest I have ever faced is 5 or 6.  In 26 games I have an 80%+ w/r solo averaging over 2k xp per battle.   I am also an aggressive player, I see my role as contesting caps, spotting, and engaging enemy dds as soon as I can.  

[TBW]
Members
6,423 posts
12,071 battles
1 hour ago, Varathius said:

8 radar ships last map  (on same team).... so sad. Hope I can play DD at some time again because all the DDs I see in-game are poor cannon fodder, no idea why they even play them (unless the Russian light cruisers that are known as DDs for some reason).

You can't grind a ship with out playing it, and I am grinding 5 DD lines at the moment. I may not be doing better with them than before the radar scare. I am however not doing worse. They are kind of fun to play right now. I do feel, like I am doing better with them though. Radar seems to be holding the red teams DDs back, so I can rush a cap, cap it and move on, in a lot of battles. There are ways DDs can capitalize in the current meta.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,368 battles

DD play has always been knife edge, now just more so.  Some days I can handle it, other days not so much.  But to go up against this meta and win, survive, and do well brings special satisfaction when it happens.

[H_]
Members
814 posts

I've seen six but not eight.    I've seen 4 in an all tier 5 match: where there were 4 tier 7 ships per side and only the enemy had radar......that match lasted, what 8 minutes......all the Tier 5 guys were dead and only the Tier 7's were left......  A massacre.  We've seen an downward rush of super experienced players "playing down".....it's ruining lower tier gameplay....  There's literally no where safe to learn and grow.  Even scenario's seem to have been made more extreme and difficult...

I've stopped playing all tier 9 and 10 ships and especially, the DD's.  Our clan doesn't play tier 9 and 10.  The "approved solution" to radar is hide, snipe and spot for the first 10 minutes; and, then "pick off" anything that is left.  Of course, the enemy team always has all of the caps and as always, you are playing against a points gap and seldom win but, well, it's what we deserve it seems.....

[SBS]
Members
2,491 posts
2,253 battles
2 hours ago, Varathius said:

Its funny, in another thread many of the guys that say everything is fine in their DDs turn out to not actually be playing in the radar heavy meta, or are playing Russian DDs that don't care about radar. 

• Cool 3

Members
3,828 posts
14,189 battles
3 hours ago, Varathius said:

Try driving Cruisers. We're cannon fodder too but are bigger targets with higher detectability and citadels. You should feel right at home driving CAs/CLs.

I find 8 radar ships on the same team to be very hard to believe.

Beta Testers
1,061 posts
13,873 battles
5 hours ago, Varathius said:

Nah one favorite thing to do now is bait the radar boats.....touch on a cap, get them to trip their radar and if they are brave enough....... shoot at me which lights them up for my team. A change in the mindset is necessary though, instead of rushing to a cap with the thought of capping, rush to the cap with the priority being to bait radar..... it may prove fruitful for you.  DDs are still highly effective.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
6 hours ago, Captain_Kylere said:

I do admit it's harder to play a DD when you cannot vanish into smoke and kill people without risk, but not impossible. 

Guessing you don't play much DD if you REALLY believe that's how it works.

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles
4 hours ago, Canadatron said:

Guessing you don't play much DD if you REALLY believe that's how it works.

I am sorry you were not able to understand my sarcasm, everyone else was able to, how can I make it more clear for you in the future?

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles
5 hours ago, Captain_Kylere said:

I am sorry you were not able to understand my sarcasm, everyone else was able to, how can I make it more clear for you in the future?

I think he understood your sarcasm perfectly. I think it's clear that you don't quite understand how DD's are played.

[KSD]
Members
68 posts
3,408 battles

I have certainly played a lot more CAs since the USA arc. DDs were my preferred for a while but it is true you must play more carefully with the radar heavy meta. It isn't impossible but since I have been blessed with a lot of work recently I typically come home fairly drained which makes me much more likely to pick CAs over DDs given my strained mental capacity lol. I have however started grinding the Russian DD line and since the play style of those involves much less sneaking around undetected and more dakka dakka I don't stress about radar ships as much. Once the radar dies down a bit I will finally finish the Chung Mu grind and get the YY. I just hope the radar meta dies down before we have another t10 ranked season but that is unlikely.

• Cool 1

Members
432 posts
5,346 battles

Ironically, it’s a great (read: less embarrassing) time to learn how to play high tier DDs.  Easily my weakest surface ship class and anytime I make a mistake and get blown out of the water, rather than the grumbly harrassment I expect, there’s either silence or commiserations.  

Hell, one time I got stuck behind an island for ten minutes hiding from 4 coordinated radars and told my team “Sorry folks, I just cant do anything.” I got a reply saying that they noticed and offering luck in the next match.

After a long stint in BBs farming for badges and special modules, it was a nice surprise from my expectations.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
15 hours ago, Captain_Kylere said:

How you fix it is by playing DD above T6. Until then you're just yapping out your posterior.

[KRAK]
Members
1,375 posts
13,791 battles
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, Humility925 said:

I had no problem with playing dd with ca with rador,  they had limited number use radar, if they use it then flee and hide till time up, even some dd do had radar,

Beside dd is kind of powerful, its can hide and torpedo away while red team cant find you and try to get away from torpedo 

The issue is not one CA with Radar it is the 3 to 5 or more per team that keep chaining radar so you are always spotted.