You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
King_Zacarias

Iowa/Monty Captain

8 comments in this topic

Members
414 posts
2,161 battles

I currently have a 15 point captain waiting in my Alabama trying to convince me to stop being lazy and grind the credits for The Iowa what should I configure him as?

I don’t have Halsey yet but when I get him one he will be Monty and my Bama guy will be Iowa. 

[KWA]
Members
299 posts
4,167 battles

I hear Alabama plays a lot like Iowa and bit like Montana. I use these skills. Priority Target, Expert Loader, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, Fire Prevention, Concealment. You need one more point for it but that's good overall build.

Beta Testers
2,463 posts
5,647 battles

I'd go full anti-fire with some slight buffs to your guns as well.

EH2NVAX.png

1. Priority Target
  2. Adrenaline Rush
  3. Superintendent 
  4. Concealment Expert
  5. Fire Prevention
  6. Basics of Survivability
  7. Expert Marksman (With Halsey I'd take this before #6 because of the increased effect)

[SPTR]
Members
20,099 posts
5,380 battles
38 minutes ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

I'd go full anti-fire with some slight buffs to your guns as well.

EH2NVAX.png

1. Priority Target
  2. Adrenaline Rush
  3. Superintendent 
  4. Concealment Expert
  5. Fire Prevention
  6. Basics of Survivability
  7. Expert Marksman (With Halsey I'd take this before #6 because of the increased effect)

This, but with PT changed to Preventive Maintainance. Iowa's low cit and tendency for conceal+bowtank play makes PT irrelevant.

• Cool 2

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

In my humble opinion, and again this is just me, but I don't use and never have used PT. I assume that when I see detected pop-up that I have incoming shells, if I can't see the shells and/or the ship that fired them, I assume I am being tracked by a DD so possible incoming torps.

I know it's a personal preference, but if someone is knowledgeable with regards to their location, map, ship they are playing (concealment, etc.) and enemy ships they are facing, wouldn't that point be better placed elsewhere? 

I place mine in Previous. Maint. (-30% to modules becoming incapacitated). Just always wondered about why take a point thats going to tell you people are targeting/firing on you? Never made sense to me. Not dogging anyone that takes it, I just don't understand it as it's an assumption to me if I'm spotted.

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles

Go full survival mode. With the HE spamming meta and fewer CVs you see in higher tiers. It is very worth it. I don't run Expert Marksman as I find the traverse speed capable enough with the (bow in) playstyle of these ships. It isn't a bad skill though. Running Jack of All Trades can buy you a few seconds of HP here in there and sometimes that can be huge. Over all though, go full survival build.

Edit: Priority Target is very useful especially with less experience Captains. The extra heads up can be extremely useful especially in open water. Watching that number flicker can be an indicator to incoming torps. However, as you get better and better in the boats and pay more and more attention to the minimap, a DD catching you off guard in open water doesnt happen that often. (Partly because the bow in playstyle near island cover to protect your weak broadside can be very strong and you shouldnt really be in open water anyway. Excluding Monty) With that said, the extra tanky turrets you get with Preventative Maint can be a huge step up as experience BB captains will push you, put AP through your front turrets and leave you with no offensive ability. Preventative Maint helps stop that. Also, Double Catapult Aircraft is great for torp detection. Its the USN Hydro for BBs. Plus, having two fighters in the air can be strong with the survival build since you arent putting anything extra into AAA.

Edited by smf117

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,165 posts
14,573 battles

You don't need a Survival Build to deal with HE + Fires.

Smart sailing, don't put yourself into a Focus Fire spot, as well as not being one of those "I pop DCP for 1 fire" kind of idiots.  This heavily mitigates the threat of fires.

High Tier USN BBs, with the exception of Massachusetts, have the same build possibilities.  Whatever you liked running on your Alabama, OP, will work just as fine on Iowa and Montana.

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,752 battles
3 hours ago, khaenn35 said:

This, but with PT changed to Preventive Maintainance. Iowa's low cit and tendency for conceal+bowtank play makes PT irrelevant.

However, I have seen a resurgence in the slow roam playstyle for the Iowa, especially now that the citadel has been lowered and the captains are now free to take more risks. Priority Target would be my go to skill, it helps me to make decisions upon how much "love" I am getting from the enemy team :Smile_playing:.
It's not like Iowa's turrets likes to break in particular, or there's any CV you need your AA for.

But when you get your 16th point, the Preventitive maintanace will be a very tempting skill, and you are free to choose it or the Extra scount plane skill. Both can be justified in various situations, but I see Priority Target as the tier 1 skill that is useful in most situations.