You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
YamatoA150

Summer Sale Day 10: TIRPITZ

27 comments in this topic

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,435 battles

Another heads-up; Summer Sale Day 10's ship is Tirpitz. She's already live on the EU and Asia servers.

SHIP OF THE DAY: TIRPITZ

NA Price: TBA (30% Off)

BUNDLE CONTENT

• VIII Tirpitz
  • Port Slot
0e67555fcc40421f9b47f647f0bd7cd4.png

DETAILS

Today only: Battleship Tirpitz with a 30% discount!

One of the most famous German ships—the legendary Tirpitz! Historically and in the game, this ship is distinguished for survivability. She combines excellent armor protection, formidable main guns, fantastic secondary gun battery complement, and torpedo launchers. If battleships are your ship of choice, Tirpitz will give you everything you need for a comfortable and enjoyable sortie.

Advantages:

• Perfect survivability and armor protection—a defining feature of German battleships.
  • Awesome 380 mm main battery guns that can pack a real punch. This ship wields guns of a smaller caliber compared to that of other same-tier battleships, but her main battery has a faster reload.
  • Heavy secondary battery complement with an excellent 7 km range.
  • "Catapult Fighter" or "Spotting Aircraft" consumables.
  • Torpedoes—a type of armament not typically found on battleships.
  • Extra credits per battle and 50% more XP provided by the camouflage.

If you already have this ship in your Port, you will receive 8,750 Doubloons as compensation.

See the Wiki for the performance parameters of Tirpitz.

(Or read LWM's review.)

Edited by YamatoA150

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,473 posts
3,424 battles

One of my two number-one most-favorite ships in the game (the other is Bismark). I love this ship. When things play out properly, the torpedoes add so much brawling punch that it often seems ridiculous to me.

Sure, Scharnhorst gets lots of praise for awesomeness, but in my book Tirpitz will always be the epitome of the Supreme German Brawling (tm).

Spoiler

a20458ff467e463648733d4c975f373c.thumb.jpg.aab7920b5e45234c5540e6e9fd9b5091.jpg

One of bestest. LOL.

Spoiler

:Smile_teethhappy:

TBH, I kinda knew that Tirpitz would come up for a sale eventually. And speak of the devil... lel... :fish_cute_2:

Members
1,611 posts
3,573 battles

Whelp,  they got me.  Two premiums in one week.  Just bought the Massachusetts,  now buying the Tirpitz.

Members
1,611 posts
3,573 battles
4 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Whelp. Derpitz snipers incoming.

Or yolo rushers.  Honestly,  I am going to be far to aggressive in this thing.  Going to have to control my urge to run screaming into torpedo range.

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
6 minutes ago, Palladia said:

Or yolo rushers.  Honestly,  I am going to be far to aggressive in this thing.  Going to have to control my urge to run screaming into torpedo range.

Neither are good. I actually don't click with German battleships well. Sure I'm an aggressive player, but I feel that these days I often don't get opportunities to be that aggressive. Take one match today, for instance. Even when my team outnumbered the enemy almost 2:1, I was near the enemy base and died in the process of harassing the enemy ships there as some cruisers and destroyers were trying to cap the base. 73k damage, 2 kills. I looked at the mini-map after my death, and ALL but ONE of my team's battleships were STILL sitting in spawn. I asked them move to up and fight, telling them at this point in the battle they should be near, if not in the enemy base (1 enemy DD was alive but absolutely potato). Those BBs had absolutely no reason in the world to be passive at that point, and their behavior infuriated me. At the end of the battle, I wasn't expecting to rank in the Top 3 on the scoreboard, but turns out I was NUMBER ONE for God's sake when I played what I consider to be a very average, or slightly below average game in the Helena. And the next player after me had almost 400 less EXP than me (1400 for me vs 1050 for him). Not a single battleship on my team broke 1000 base EXP.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Bad 1

Members
1,611 posts
3,573 battles
1 hour ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Neither are good. I actually don't click with German battleships well. Sure I'm an aggressive player, but I feel that these days I often don't get opportunities to be that aggressive. Take one match today, for instance. Even when my team outnumbered the enemy almost 2:1, I was near the enemy base and died in the process of harassing the enemy ships there as some cruisers and destroyers were trying to cap the base. 73k damage, 2 kills. I looked at the mini-map after my death, and ALL but ONE of my team's battleships were STILL sitting in spawn. I asked them move to up and fight, telling them at this point in the battle they should be near, if not in the enemy base (1 enemy DD was alive but absolutely potato). Those BBs had absolutely no reason in the world to be passive at that point, and their behavior infuriated me. At the end of the battle, I wasn't expecting to rank in the Top 3 on the scoreboard, but turns out I was NUMBER ONE for God's sake when I played what I consider to be a very average, or slightly below average game in the Helena. And the next player after me had almost 400 less EXP than me (1400 for me vs 1050 for him).

For the snipers,  I kinda understand.  As am aggressive BB if your support gets sunk and you have no one to spot destroyers for you you're basically a sitting duck.  Its not that its extremely hard to dodge the torpedoes of a DD you know is there,  its that you can do nothing to him while he does it.  This is actually a reason I prefer to be aggressive,  I'd rather the enemy team focus on me and leave my cruisers and DD's alive to deal with enemy DD's.  

Edited by Palladia

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
2 minutes ago, Palladia said:

For the snipers,  I kinda understand.  As am aggressive BB if your support gets sunk and you have no one to spot destroyers from you you're basically a sitting duck.  Its not that its extremely hard to dodge the torpedoes of a DD you know is there,  its that you can do nothing to him while he does it.  This is actually a reason I prefer to be aggressive,  I'd rather the enemy team focus on me and leave my cruisers and DD's alive to deal with enemy DD's.  

And a lot of times that actually leads to wins. As a BB you, to a degree, should ensure that the enemy's shooting at you instead of shooting at the cruisers and destroyers on your team. The battleships on my team in that match utterly failed to divert any attention away from the smaller ships, which were doing the lion's share of the work because they weren't doing any of it. Their big guns and large HP pools were absolutely useless, and that pissed me off.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Members
628 posts

Ahem back to da subjet....

Tripitz - yes was the first Premium I bought and now with 50+ used more than any other.

If you are newish just watch a lot of videos on YouTube about Tripitz and Bismarck then play a lot of COop until confident to play Random or Ranked.

[FOG]
Members
329 posts
4,845 battles

I have found few things in this game more fun that rushing an Iowa or Montana and watching the 406s bound off the bow and then unleashing 4 torpedoes at point blank range....unless it is rushing two of these running parallel with just the right spacing for sequential right and left torpedo salvos.....

[-K-]
Members
614 posts
4,898 battles

Awesome vessel, had one for a long time now.

Looking forward to finding the new players sail broadside and in a straight line for many varied ways of bringing them down!

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,178 posts
14,610 battles

I love nothing more than inviting a German BB into their own secondaries range with my USN BB.

It lets them think they can win when they're in secondaries range, when it only means I can never miss with the 406mm guns.

The 16"/50 or 16"/45 American Piercing shells start ripping for lots of damage at the base superstructure and you can tell by how they start sailing, thoughts of victory start evaporating.

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,755 battles
18 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I love nothing more than inviting a German BB into their own secondaries range with my USN BB.

It lets them think they can win when they're in secondaries range, when it only means I can never miss with the 406mm guns.

The 16"/50 or 16"/45 American Piercing shells start ripping for lots of damage at the base superstructure and you can tell by how they start sailing, thoughts of victory start evaporating.

Careful playing with the bulls :Smile_playing:
In a close up brawl, the German BB simply have more options. Sure, the Superstructure pen can hurt them, but they saturate rather quickley. We all remember those [edited] 10k+ Superstructure salvos we ripped off of german bbs at start of battles, but what we don't remember those 3k-5k disapppointing bangs and smokes. Turning around isn't an option for an USN bb, the citadels are far from safe at less than 13km. And the rest is really at the German BBs' leisure. 

If I'm in a said situation in a tirpitz against, say, a North Cal, I would calmly push that North Cal if there's not an excessive enemy prescence, lock secondaries at the USN bb, slow down, present a sharp angle to the North Cal while shooting at something else. USN bbs shells are too slow, and a tirptiz is too much of a threat for north cal to shoot anything else but me, while I, with a much more comfortable shell velocity, would prefer to start shooting at his teammates with softer armor or a flatter broadside. 

Shaken and stirred by my secondaries, the North Cal will need to make a drastic move eventually. Reverse is not an option, since I can always follow up. Either she will try to turn around, which I will punish the broadside gladly, or try to close in for a joust. This may be troublesome given the bad rear turret angles for the Bismarck, but with tirpitz, the torpedo suite basically negates this issue.

But then again, that's just my prediction of events. :cap_book:

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
245 posts
2,402 battles

Woo! I was getting worried it was going to show up while i was away and it almost did 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Funny things about premiums, especially the Tirpitz. You are told they are great for training up new commanders. Well, that's true to an extent. But if that's all you do with your premiums, well, sadness. The German BB line is a great deal of fun with the Tirpitz and GK being, imo, the most fun. Strange thing though... even though the Bismarck and Tirp are almost identical, the guns of the Tirp feel more crisp and more accurate. I can count on her more than the Bismarck. 

Drop a 19 pt cmdr in her with manual secondaries, flags and camo then go out and tear it up with tier 9/10 ships. It's fun I tell you. You'll find yourself almost wishing for an uptiered battle! 

For those saying "I have the Biz don't need the Torpitz" then comrade, you are lost. Take your Bismarck up against the Tirpitz in a brawl. How much is that hydro going to help you? How much will torpedoes help you. Yea. 

I got mine a long time back when there was a 50% off sale at Gamers Gate. At the time, we were not sure it was a valid offer. But it was. A limited number of them for 50% off. I thought maybe this discount would be 50% in a throwback to the GG sale but alas, I think that sale shall never come this way again. 

They should sell a kajillion of these ships. Rightfully so. GL HF

[O_O]
Members
4,427 posts
9,606 battles

Tirpitz is my most played battleship.  She is fun to play, makes darn good silver, and with the Tarnanstrich camo (which won't be included with today's sale) it has a nice Free XP boost, as well.  She shoots down planes, lands secondary hits, is a T8 for campaigns, and does a lot of stuff very well.

[WOLF2]
Members
160 posts
4,780 battles
11 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Tirpitz is my most played battleship.  She is fun to play, makes darn good silver, and with the Tarnanstrich camo (which won't be included with today's sale) it has a nice Free XP boost, as well.  She shoots down planes, lands secondary hits, is a T8 for campaigns, and does a lot of stuff very well.

I'm pissed I missed out on earning that (real life intervened).  I hope they reintroduce earning it.  

[13CLM]
Members
218 posts
1,229 battles

I purchased her today, added to my German premium collect.

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
11,040 battles

My go-to ship when I’m having a bad day. There used to be a real difference between her and her sister until WG buffed Tirpitz with the same secondaries as Bismarck. There’s no better joy than scrapping with an enemy BB to starboard while your manual secondaries are dealing with a cruiser or destroyer to port. Good times!

Members
1,611 posts
3,573 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This is actually the main reason I prefer the Massachusetts over the Bismarck now.  Those 406's combined with her consistent 127's are just nasty.

[4HIM]
Members
1,815 posts
4,158 battles

Well, just be ready today to see a lot of people long distance sniping in Tirps.  The day the Scharn went on sale I saw a ton of them doing the same.