You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
3Sheets2_theWind

Are There No Honorable Players in this Game?

80 comments in this topic

Members
26 posts
575 battles

What a frustrating evening this has been. As a newbie I've been doing my best to learn the right tactics for the ships I play, to be a support and a team player and most of all to just have fun all while trying to grind out XP, kills and awards for myself in the process. Tonight though, I've spent most of the evening having my kills sniped out from under me at the last second. Seriously, Either I've got some bad juju or bad karma I'm working off or there are some really dishonorable players in this game. I set up so many kills for other players this evening, that WoWs should have a Santa Claus award for all the gift wrapped presents I handed out tonight! 

I know that most players in this game are honorable and sporting, but seriously do you others really have to be so greedy, that you can't let your fellow team mates bring home some of the bacon that they've worked so hard for? Now for the sake of it possibly being my game play that's the problem, I'm willing to accept any constructive criticism from those more experienced players who may know another reason why I'm missing the kills and may possibly have a way to remedy it. But still, have a little sportsmanship when playing. Whether you're a newbie or a hard core veteran, most of us play this game because we like the competition, the camaraderie, the history and just blowing things up!!

Just remember, Axe wielding Santa knows if you've been bad or good!!

Santa_Murders_02.jpg

• Boring 6
  • Bad 6

Members
709 posts
9,924 battles

Look kills aren't a big deal unless you want Kraken or want to set the record for yourself.  It's about how much damage you can rack up in game.  That's where the bulk of your Exp. and income comes from.  Don't worry about kills or kill steals.

• Cool 15

[BROOK]
Members
1,609 posts
9 minutes ago, 3Sheets2_theWind said:

What a frustrating evening this has been. As a newbie I've been doing my best to learn the right tactics for the ships I play, to be a support and a team player and most of all to just have fun all while trying to grind out XP, kills and awards for myself in the process. Tonight though, I've spent most of the evening having my kills sniped out from under me at the last second. Seriously, Either I've got some bad juju or bad karma I'm working off or there are some really dishonorable players in this game. I set up so many kills for other players this evening, that WoWs should have a Santa Claus award for all the gift wrapped presents I handed out tonight! 

I know that most players in this game are honorable and sporting, but seriously do you others really have to be so greedy, that you can't let your fellow team mates bring home some of the bacon that they've worked so hard for? Now for the sake of it possibly being my game play that's the problem, I'm willing to accept any constructive criticism from those more experienced players who may know another reason why I'm missing the kills and may possibly have a way to remedy it. But still, have a little sportsmanship when playing. Whether you're a newbie or a hard core veteran, most of us play this game because we like the competition, the camaraderie, the history and just blowing things up!!

You don't understand the game if you think that you getting the kill is more important than your team getting it.  It's a team sport where the objective is to rack up the score in order to win not mollycoddle lollygaggers.

:Smile_popcorn:

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 5
  • Angry 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
20 minutes ago, 3Sheets2_theWind said:

Like airglide said, unless there's some very specific reason, kills matter a lot more on a team level than on an individual level.  When it comes to winning the battle, I don't care whether I get the kill or team mate, as long as the enemy ship gets killed ASAP.  That's the most important thing.

• Cool 5

[DENY]
Members
342 posts
4,711 battles

There no team player in random , only 24 people playing a different game 

• Funny 4

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,554 battles

I've seen a Gearing rack up a kraken, 2 caps, confederate, high caliber... all on 19 HP. If you can secure the kill, you secure the kill. Letting someone else "have" a kill is just inviting future disasters. RNG can easily make you regret your chivalrous ways, real fast...

• Cool 4

[DAY]
Members
1,178 posts
11,719 battles

i have 0 idea why you're making such a big deal out of it.......kill doesnt matter that much in this game

on topic though, devastating strike is how you make sure no one steals your kill

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
709 posts
9,924 battles
3 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

i have 0 idea why you're making such a big deal out of it.......kill doesnt matter that much in this game

on topic though, devastating strike is how you make sure no one steals your kill

"As a newbie,"

Pretty obvious here dude.  He didn't know.

Edited by Airglide2

Members
26 posts
575 battles
31 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Look kills aren't a big deal unless you want Kraken or want to set the record for yourself.  It's about how much damage you can rack up in game.  That's where the bulk of your Exp. and income comes from.  Don't worry about kills or kill steals.

Thanks for the advice Airglide and Crucis, Like I said, I'm a newbie at this game. This is only the fourth day that I've been playing and was not aware that the amount of damage you cause is what racks up XP and credits. Glad to know that.

22 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

You don't understand the game if you think that you getting the kill is more important than your team getting it.  It's a team sport where the objective is to rack up the score in order to win not mollycoddle lollygaggers.

Blasto, If you're going to troll, please take it somewhere other than this thread. Your reply only proves my point. 

• Cool 6
  • Bad 3

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,787 posts
9,818 battles
1 minute ago, jason199506 said:

devastating strike

you should see my div mate devastating strike a Helenna from his Kii, defend C on his own from Shimma/Cleveland, from across the map, and yet in public chat, our own team member who dead; blasted him for island hugging this including my div mate cap C on his own and assisting from C to B/A ... toxicity is everywhere from players who claimed know how to play the game

Members
709 posts
9,924 battles
1 minute ago, 3Sheets2_theWind said:

Thanks for the advice Airglide and Crucis, Like I said, I'm a newbie at this game. This is only the fourth day that I've been playing and was not aware that the amount of damage you cause is what racks up XP and credits. Glad to know that.

Blasto, If you're going to troll, please take it somewhere other than this thread. Your reply only proves my point. 

Apparently he was suppose to BE "somewhere other than this thread."  Your guess is as good as ours why he's still here.

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,787 posts
9,818 battles
2 minutes ago, 3Sheets2_theWind said:

I'm a newbie at this game

Devastating Strike and occassional citadel hits or score many citadel hits, fire and flooding damage also give plenty of XP

And later on, when you at t5, playing up tier game, where you will be facing t7, also Ka-ching both credit and XP, it very nice when playing up tier

• Cool 1

[BROOK]
Members
1,609 posts
40 minutes ago, 3Sheets2_theWind said:

No, trolling. You don't understand the game.

• Bad 8

[LOU1]
Members
3,033 posts
8,125 battles

Another thing to consider is that it is important to reduce the number of enemy guns as quickly as possible.  For example, while a teammate holds fire so that you can get a kill, the enemy ship gets off another salvo, killing a team mate.  I have held fire on occasion and most times, the enemy ship gets away.  If its completely "safe", I will allow a player I have seen whittling down a target to make the kill, but they get one shot at it.

Also, you get the most earnings from what percentage of the enemy ship's HP you remove.  A kill does not earn as much as knocking a bunch of health off the ship.  Coming from WOT, I had to adjust to the idea that WOWS players value WR first, then damage and PR.  It is also important to keep your guns singing as much as possible during a battle.  If your target goes behind an island you shoot at any other enemy ship you can, rather than wait (doesn't fully apply to the 30s reloading BBs that have to choose their shots more wisely.)  The player doing the "kill stealing" may have no idea it was "your" kill.  They just saw an enemy ship and deleted it.

It does get a little wild at times when there is a mission based on the number of kills, though.  After you experience that, you'll see the the things happening now are pretty tame.  Just rack up the damage, preferably on ships that are the most threat to your team and its goals, and help reduce the number of enemy guns to zero...

Edited by ExploratorOne
  • Cool 2

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

To the OP:

I'm starting to think that a lot of players deliberately withhold their firepower for kill shots. It's idiotic because they don't realize XP is calculated proportionate to the % of the target's HP you removed, but it's still nice to have kill ribbons and kills do count for a significant amount of EXP. If someone did most of the damage to a target, or a significant amount of damage to it, then alright, they deserve the kill. Of course sometimes you do 'kill steal' and that's fine because as long as it removes a set of enemy guns from the match, and if you also did a significant amount of damage to other enemy ships by that point, then I'm perfectly fine with these kill secures. Just waiting for the kill shot while not doing much damage yourself to any other ships is dishonourable behavior indeed.

Members
1,610 posts
3,573 battles

Early on I did hold my fire.  After about the fifth time of doing so and having the ship I didn't finish go on to wreck another ally,  I stopped.  If you can finish off a ship,  finish it off.  Take its armaments out of the battle, ASAP.  I apologize in chat for it now,  but I am not going to withhold fire and risk my team mates just because someone else is more concerned with a number going up.

• Cool 2

Members
709 posts
9,924 battles
10 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

and kills do count for a significant amount of EXP.

Whoa whoa whoa, proof?  We have a whole list a players right here stating the complete opposite.

[STURM]
Members
300 posts
2,884 battles
41 minutes ago, 3Sheets2_theWind said:

Its actually even more complicated than that. XP and credits are given out based on the percentage of ship's HP in damage. So, hitting a Wicks with a shell that does, say, 500 damage is worth significantly more than the same shell doing 500 damage to a South Carolina.

In addition, you get diminishing returns for doing the same thing more than once. So, spotting or destroying one ship will get you the full reward for doing that, but doing the same to a second ship will get you around 75 to 80% of the first reward.

Still, you should be sinking ships because that will win you the battle, rather than for the rewards you get. Winning does much more for your resources than a good game that is a loss. Remember, a ship's guns hit just as hard regardless of how much HP it has, and it still caps the same.

If you have any more questions, might I suggest poking around on the wiki? It has a wealth of information on almost every subject, and if you need clarification, you can always ask here. (I would suggest a more neutral thread title next time though)

Hope this helps!

[STW-M]
Members
2,050 posts
5,861 battles

There are two things to note about kills and kill-stealing:

1. Kills actually mean a lot less than things like damage done and caps taken. A person who has 5 kills and 38k damage will usually get much less xp than someone with zero kills and 150k damage.
  2. An enemy ship at 1 hp is still usually just as capable as an enemy ship at full health of attacking, damaging, and possibly even killing a teammate. As such, the priority is usually killing the enemy ship ASAP. Those five seconds that a teammate spends waiting for you to reload and kill that 1k health destroyer instead of killing the destroyer himself may be enough time for that enemy destroyer to get behind an island, fall out of detection range, and fire another salvo of torpedoes, potentially costing your team another ship or two, and possibly even the battle.

Edited by Avenge_December_7

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
1 minute ago, Airglide2 said:

Whoa whoa whoa, proof?  We have a whole list a players right here stating the complete opposite.

I dunno, I might be wrong but I did hear someone on the forum say that a kill=15% damage done to an enemy ship. Likely wrong though.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,563 posts
3,751 battles
28 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

To the OP:

I'm starting to think that a lot of players deliberately withhold their firepower for kill shots. It's idiotic because they don't realize XP is calculated proportionate to the % of the target's HP you removed, but it's still nice to have kill ribbons and kills do count for a significant amount of EXP. If someone did most of the damage to a target, or a significant amount of damage to it, then alright, they deserve the kill. Of course sometimes you do 'kill steal' and that's fine because as long as it removes a set of enemy guns from the match, and if you also did a significant amount of damage to other enemy ships by that point, then I'm perfectly fine with these kill secures. Just waiting for the kill shot while not doing much damage yourself to any other ships is dishonourable behavior indeed.

Eh, if at 4 kills and using a low rof ship I will most likely hold my fire to kill secure and get the Kraken, provided we are winning of course. It's not that much about being dishonorable, but rather sacrificing some extra XP from damage to gain access to valuable "currency" (in that case the XP flags).

Members
3,780 posts
14,032 battles

I generally don't mind if I don't get the kill, as long as the Red is deleted. That's one less ship that a threat to the team. 3 times I've been only one salvo away from getting Kraken while driving Helena but someone else beat me to the kill. I was disappointed but far from angry. I just found someone else to shoot at.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 hours ago, 3Sheets2_theWind said:

Santa_Murders_02.jpg

you are doing it WRONG...... It isn't Team work as you were taught in your youth.... it is about how much you as an Individual can do to carry the SLACKERS.

• Funny 1

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles

Santa_Murders_02.jpg

Just remember, it's a two sided axe.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BROOK]
Members
1,609 posts

As you can now well see, everyone is telling you exactly what I told you first. Don't shoot the messenger.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2