You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WWTharn

tier 4/5 ships with radar?

29 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
3,122 battles

guys I don't post much --and I don't claim I know the game in and out but.. I didn't know tier 4 and 5 ships had radar- I have seen the radar icon in 2 battles this last month- I was in a tier 4/5 battle- I hit smoke with a minikaze there was a douguay-t (sp?) tier 4 cruiser about 4 k away and an Omaha tier 5 about 5.5 away- the radar symbol pops up and I'm spotted in the smoke. A friend of mine who plays a lot tells me there is no low tier ship with radar and he has seen this one time too.  I'm pretty sure a hydro symbol is different then the radar-that I see all the time tier 7 and up.

thanks for any answers.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,525 posts
7,588 battles

They don’t. But there are ships with hydro.

What you were encountering was hydro from a red ship.

Also, they have the same symbol pop up.

Edited by renegadestatuz
  • Cool 2

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

Yep, you got hydro'd.

Brilliant move on WG's part, making the two detection icons the same.

• Cool 4

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,164 posts
3,665 battles
9 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Uhm BOO HOO

so constructive...

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,232 posts
14,657 battles
42 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Sure why not. Radar for everyone.

That's how it was IRL.  Except for IJN though :Smile_popcorn:

[AXANR]
Members
3,370 posts
16,686 battles
42 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Sure why not. Radar for everyone.

This. Let's give radar to every ship in the game. I'm tired of people whining about it, I think it'd be hilarious to see the salt when someone in a Sampson gets radared by a Mikasa.

• Funny 3
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,402 posts
13,130 battles
1 minute ago, poeticmotion said:

This. Let's give radar to every ship in the game. I'm tired of people whining about it, I think it'd be hilarious to see the salt when someone in a Sampson gets radared by a Mikasa.

Sure that would make seal clubbing easier - just in case you already had trouble hitting a seal that's grounded :)

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,613 battles

I recalled that they changed the hydro and radar symbols differently. WeeGee fix plz

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
2 hours ago, WWTharn said:

guys I don't post much --and I don't claim I know the game in and out but.. I didn't know tier 4 and 5 ships had radar- I have seen the radar icon in 2 battles this last month- I was in a tier 4/5 battle- I hit smoke with a minikaze there was a douguay-t (sp?) tier 4 cruiser about 4 k away and an Omaha tier 5 about 5.5 away- the radar symbol pops up and I'm spotted in the smoke. A friend of mine who plays a lot tells me there is no low tier ship with radar and he has seen this one time too.  I'm pretty sure a hydro symbol is different then the radar-that I see all the time tier 7 and up.

thanks for any answers.

RMS Karlesruhe has radar at tier IV. :Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

Don't downvote me, I played her using her German Hydro as radar, honestly I did.

Edited by legoboy0401
  • Bad 1

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,164 posts
3,665 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

they had radar, it just wasnt great

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,319 posts
19,715 battles
3 hours ago, WWTharn said:

thanks for any answers.

This is from memory but I think Konigsberg has a pretty healthy hydro ship detection range, about 5.6km so keep an eye out for that one.

Now that you know, it wouldn't be a bad thing, if you have the time and inclination, to look up the hydro ranges of the other ships to have that knowledge in game to work with.

Keep in mind there are two values, one for ship detection and one for torpedo detection.

[TMS]
Members
1,742 posts
22,088 battles

Besides needing different symbols, multiple detection symbols should be displayed at the same time instead of just one at a time.

Nothing worse than trying to counter something only to find out when you do that its something else that is really the problem.

• Cool 1

0 posts
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

IRL it did NOT see through land masses.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,466 posts
3,875 battles
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Why do you people insist on this fake reality where Japan didn't have radar technology? Is the idea of 1930s Japan actually having something from the 20th century that offensive to you?

Members
348 posts
8,963 battles

Not radar. There are not radars at those low tiers. Its hydroacoustic search that was spotting you. Since there isn't a separate icon for radar and hydro new players just assume its radar.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,368 battles
9 hours ago, Unabletony said:

I recalled that they changed the hydro and radar symbols differently. WeeGee fix plz

It was a rather unfortunate decision to re-merge them, IMHO.  Because, you know, we can have complicated armor dynamics and a whole set of spotting, bloom, and hydro/radar ranges that should be memorized for every ship, but having four detected icons rather than three would incite player confusion.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,668 battles

Come on WG fix the [edited] icon already  One for hydro and One for radar like it used to be

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
63 posts
3,259 battles
7 hours ago, Minah_Bang said:

IRL it did NOT see through land masses.

Well, not so much that as most all WWII radar could not see through land masses. The issue with Japanese radar is two fold. One, the country simply did not have the industrial and educational base to reliably produce radar and its components. So, for the most part Japanese radar did not work or was not working due to the lack of parts. Their land based radar was decent but ship based was terrible all through the war. I think I read somewhere that of the first 30-40 units delivered to the fleet more than half were defective. The other more important issue is that Japan never was able to manufacture the PPI screen. For you radar novices that is the circular screen with all the pips on it and the single ray of light that moves around the screen that you have seen in about every war movie you ever watched. This screen gave the Allies. (don't think the Germans had it but am not sure) a total tactical advantage over any Japanese warship no matter if it had radar or not. Think of radar without a PPI screen as trying to race a car without shock absorbers against cars that have them.  Not much of a chance really. 

• Cool 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,060 posts
3,928 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Why do you people insist on this fake reality where Japan didn't have radar technology? Is the idea of 1930s Japan actually having something from the 20th century that offensive to you?

I think maybe a bit of over reaction here? I think most people here realize that the technology was there. What hamstrung IJ was the lack of production and  engineering capability. Germany, as I recall, was supposed to assist IJ turn that technology into practical application. Also, as I understand it, IJ didnt have the ability to field centimetric radar sets until late war...and by then the game was over.

The IJN  prided itself on its superior optics and night fighting capability. Early war IJN optics were far superior to US and RN radar systems.

wait...youre not implying that the IJN had equivalent radar systems to the allies, are you?

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,057 battles
11 hours ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Yep, you got hydro'd.

Brilliant move on WG's part, making the two detection icons the same.

Weren't they different for a time? I thought WG said they were going to change the icons...?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,466 posts
3,875 battles
46 minutes ago, BBsquid said:

I think maybe a bit of over reaction here? I think most people here realize that the technology was there. What hamstrung IJ was the lack of production and  engineering capability. Germany, as I recall, was supposed to assist IJ turn that technology into practical application. Also, as I understand it, IJ didnt have the ability to field centimetric radar sets until late war...and by then the game was over.

The IJN  prided itself on its superior optics and night fighting capability. Early war IJN optics were far superior to US and RN radar systems.

wait...youre not implying that the IJN had equivalent radar systems to the allies, are you?

It's not an overreaction. It's something that's commented on constantly around here. This misbelief that only America and England had radar. Complete disregard for Japanese radars including the mythical, magical war-winning Fire Control Radar that people insist only America ever developed, and complete dismissal of German radars as something that ever existed.

Just because USN radar had slightly better resolution doesn't mean IJN radar didn't exist, and yet this is the attitude that is most prevalent on this forum.

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
3 hours ago, Viper101 said:

Weren't they different for a time? I thought WG said they were going to change the icons...?

Yes, as below:

4 hours ago, Lillehuntrix said:

It was a rather unfortunate decision to re-merge them, IMHO.  Because, you know, we can have complicated armor dynamics and a whole set of spotting, bloom, and hydro/radar ranges that should be memorized for every ship, but having four detected icons rather than three would incite player confusion.

So yeah, WG did indeed separate them out, but then declared backsies and, well, here we are.

2 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It's not an overreaction. It's something that's commented on constantly around here. This misbelief that only America and England had radar. Complete disregard for Japanese radars including the mythical, magical war-winning Fire Control Radar that people insist only America ever developed, and complete dismissal of German radars as something that ever existed.

Just because USN radar had slightly better resolution doesn't mean IJN radar didn't exist, and yet this is the attitude that is most prevalent on this forum.

The United States developed radar right alongside Britain; the two were on parallel tracks with regards to the technology before WWII even started, IIRC. So it's no wonder the U.S. Navy had decent radar by the time we got dragged into the war, as did the Army—even if certain infamous officers continued to mistrust it to great cost. Given the huge industrial base the United States had at the time, why should it be any great surprise that we took the idea of radar and ran with it flat out, taking it to its logical conclusion and marrying the technology with further improvements in fire control computers?

The thing that ultimately doomed Japan in her bid for empire was that she was spreading herself far too thin trying to do it. For a nation barely seventy years out of feudalism, she had come extraordinarily far on will alone (and the greased palms of Western nations, manufacturing examples for her to copy). The thing is, very few nations can ever be expected to engage in all three aspects of empire building (economic buildup, technological progress, and territorial acquisition) at the same time and not end up having it all blow up in their collective faces. Japan tried to do it, and ultimately found herself lacking.

The fact that she was never able to develop reliable radar for all her ships is simply a microcosm for this.

[PVE]
Members
9,946 posts
7,492 battles
12 hours ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

This is from memory but I think Konigsberg has a pretty healthy hydro ship detection range, about 5.6km so keep an eye out for that one.

Now that you know, it wouldn't be a bad thing, if you have the time and inclination, to look up the hydro ranges of the other ships to have that knowledge in game to work with.

Keep in mind there are two values, one for ship detection and one for torpedo detection.

Pretty close going by memory. Konigsberg can see torps to 3.57km and ships to 5.12km.  You have to get to T8 in German cruisers to get to seeing ships at 5.6km with hydro.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Hydroacoustic_Search

I was in game as I don't know them by memory at all.